Oil Pan sump corroded

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bike is on number 3 sump in 13k miles and warranty runs out in oct dealer said extended does not cover corrosion

My bike is on number 3 sump in 13k miles and warranty runs out in oct dealer said extended does not cover corrosion
WHAT this can't be acceptable !! What the F*#K are BMW going to do about this? If they had a problem on say their "3 Series" they would sort it out . This has GOT to be a quality issue - FIT FOR PURPOSE? More CRAP from China?

Mine is 2 years old next month owned from new, used in all weather 8000 miles and sump is like new (when cleaned lol)

I think it's a case of some will and some won't.

When my (2011) engine was in bits on the bench, I took a damn good look at the sump and it was fine - bit mucky where you can't clean it behind the heatshield, but no corrosion whatsoever.

Poor quality casting , its certainly not very well made , they should probably have put a threaded insert into the casting.
Some garages are lazy and don't change the copper washer either , so they overtighten and its fucked.....da da
thats almost certainly what had happened to mine i think....
It was immaculate the week before it went in as i had just fitted a full system , so you take that time to claen the shit you can't get too
a combination of cost saving and heavy weights mechanics :)

I've removed it each 3 times, it's a pain with fairing, exhaust, heat shield but it does mean I can put it through the dishwasher to clean it then airing cupboard to dry it out.

Asked BMW if there was a metallurgic issue with the metal.....

"[FONT=&quot]I can advise that I have contacted our Technical Department for further advice regarding the questions that you have. I can confirm that we collate all failure reports to establish if there is a failure trend with any parts. Any information in the report is for internal use only. However, I can advise that there has not been any metallurgic problem with the sump, therefore, there has been no changes to the part.[/FONT]"

So according to BMW no issues....yeah right!

So I wanted to know what would happen out of warranty.....

"[FONT=&quot]I appreciate that you have concerns regarding the reliability of the part and you would like to know what would happens if it fails once the warranty has expired. Once the two year warranty has expired we do encourage our customers to purchase an Insured Warranty, to offer additional peace of mind. In the absence of a valid warranty policy we do operate a goodwill policy. If the sump was to fail on your motorcycle and you did not have any warranty policy in place, we would review your case favourably.[/FONT]"

We shall see.

Well sump number three fitted today at 17,800k last one managed 6k.

Here is the reply from BMW..

"Thank you for your email dated January 18, 2014. I am sorry to learn that your BMW S 1000 RR Sport requires a replacement sump. I can appreciate how disappointing this may be, especially after having had this component replaced previously.

As advised by my colleague Laura, we are careful to collate all field reports pertaining to the unexpected failure of any parts utilised in our products. Should a trend to established, we would look to address this through the release of a quality enhancement. I can confirm that this issue has not been highlighted in this way and there are no outstanding quality enhancements for your vehicle."

How can this NOT be a trend, I guess as long as they keep replacing it FOC at service though.

The sump seems to be a strange one. Mine is over 10k miles, ridden in all weather almost daily, bike is never washed (as another thread will prove) and my sump is fine. I check it often.

I only use Fully Synthetic oil since bike was new but I can't see that making a damn bit of difference. Perhaps you guys are over washing your bikes lol.

one thing i have learned in dealing with BMW UK customer service, is that under trades description, there must be a case for a class action, as they only ever seem to serve themselves. I've been backwards and forwards with a switch issue, looking less and less likely to be resolved, and the idea of even looking at the sump, now fills me with dread. part of the last mail i sent probably sums up how a lot of us on here feel..
'As I have stated on many occassions, you are peddling a premium brand here and should offer an aftersales service befitting that marque. Needless to say, if I had a preference for Chinese switchgear, I would have bought a Hyosung, which although we all know to be a piece of crap, doesn't profess to be anything else, and is priced accordingly... a lesson there.'
perhaps the only way to stop them fobbing off individuals, is to go at them mob handed

Leaving for work this morning, and noticed a dinner plate size puddle of oil under bike..... :culpability: Instantly thought there's me saying my sump is fine and few days later its given up.

Getting underneath for closer look, oil was coming from sump plug. Just thought i'd check to see if plug was tight (it was last time i did oil 6 months ago) and to my amazement the plug had 3 full rotations in it.

Leaving for work this morning, and noticed a dinner plate size puddle of oil under bike..... :culpability: Instantly thought there's me saying my sump is fine and few days later its given up.

When you get to be an old fart like me :) experience teaches you not to tempt fate, it has a habit of biting you in the arse.

Getting underneath for closer look, oil was coming from sump plug. Just thought i'd check to see if plug was tight (it was last time i did oil 6 months ago) and to my amazement the plug had 3 full rotations in it.

Well spotted. :purplebananna:

BMW Customer Service, latest reply (in the ongoing email battle)

"I trust you will understand that we rely on our network of BMW Motorrad Approved Dealerships to act in the capacity of our technical advisors. Their field reports is then utilised to help us identify trends in component failure. As previously advised, the S 1000 RR Sport has not been highlighted as having an inherent issue with the sump. Should this situation change as we receive further details, we would then look to address it through a quality enhancement. If you have any specific questions in the meantime, I will endeavour to answer them."

It did shock me that a sump plug could undo like that, never experienced it before or heard of it.

One thing I did think when under bike. Everyone who's having sump problems, do you have standard exhaust or decat/race system?
When I fitted my decat I put the heat shield back on, even though it's not really needed without a CAT being there giving off heat. But without the heat shield the sump is much more open to elements.

Latest posts

Back