Oil Pan sump corroded

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger64racing

Reaction score
I've just removed the sump from one of the engines that I'm going to race this year and found there is a pinprick hole in it where Magnisium has corroded through. There is a small heat shield bolted to the underside of the sump which collects dirt and grime, this makes a good corrosive cocktail for this light weight material. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

www.driverwolf.co.uk

Sweet, cheers for the heads up dude :) I'm going to pull mine off for a quick look.

Didn't know it was magnesium no wonder it rots what a stupid material to use on the bottom of the engine

Its magnesium alloy ( or shitty white metal)
Clearly a cost cutting exercise to far with % of shit in it
Its common to use this alloy ( frames, swing arms etc..) , silicon based ali isnt rigid enough.
I used to TIG a lot of engine casings in a past life for my old fella and they would burn a slight tinge of green , couldn't see much after you striked the arc up as you were to busy coughing your guts up from the smoke

Unfortunately Greg I think you might be right
Mine was replaced. Before I had a 1000 miles on it
Assuming they've replaced it with the identical item doesn't really guarantee the new one is better :(
It's a keep an eye on it item
Posts like this on the forum would certainly present a strong argue ment to BMW though
Forums are good for that

Mmm its got me thinking I should strip the fairing lowers off and have and very close look before the warranty is up end of the month. But you've right is enough is posted on it they can't and I don't think they would ignore it as its a very odd fault on any bike.

mine went after 6 months on a 2011 they took it back under warrenty and replaced with the 12 one

did you pull yours off ducky ;)

lol, nah..I'd just done an oil change so wasn't going to drop the sump off ;)...pulled off the heat shield as I hadn't fitted the exhaust yet...still nice and clean under there so all good. :)

My 2012 bike doesn't have a sump heat shield. Maybe that's a factory improvement so the crud doesn't build up & rot the sump.

it is infact a cost save from the 2011 , they removed it by making it longer ( away from the heat)

Fireblades had the same problem, it's a common material to use for a sump.
Had to get a new sump as it had disintegrated at the plug. Ride my bike all year but looks like you can't ride one of these in the winter.
Oil was leaking and plug wouldn't torque back up after dealer inspection, so new sump. Bike is a 7mth old 2012 bike. It's now smothered in ACF50 but it is a worry. Plug looked like it could have come away.

Mine went in today for its 600 mile service, only ridden it once this winter last week when it got wet and new sump required. Part has to come from Germany?

Think mine has corroded!! :( noticed when got back from work yesterday!!! A few drips of oil on the floor where is the the sump situed on the RR? As its coming from a lump of metal just above/in front of the cat box!

After reading this thread I have painted some ACF 50 on the sump and on the bottom of the engine today.

Back