Oil Pan sump corroded

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a new sump under warranty yesterday, part had to come from Germany. People at Battersea said it was holding on by a thread. 12 months old with 5k on the clock and well looked after. Still they gave me a Nuda to play with for 4 day's which was fun.

WD40 really isn't that awesome an idea for locks, mind you. Tends to congeal and gum things up if you do it regularly. Graphite powder is the stuff for sticky locks, although not sure it does anything about corrosion.

WD40 really isn't that awesome an idea for locks, mind you. Tends to congeal and gum things up if you do it regularly. Graphite powder is the stuff for sticky locks, although not sure it does anything about corrosion.
Have to disagree with you Shug, WD40 does not congeal in Vehicle locks, most of it evaporates, heavier Oils and grease congeals in Locks.
I have taken apart so very many Vehicle locks over the last 30 years that are siezed due to dirt and grime being attracted to the Oil/grease that some manufacturers use when assembling the Locks. In these instances WD40 helps breakdown any dirt/grime/congealed oil or grease and helps the (very) small springs in the Locks move the discs as they should.
Agreed, Graphite powder is the best Lubricant for Locks but only where there is no sign of Oil, Grease or water, Graphite used over a period of time in a concealed lock such as the Fuel tank lock will in the end hinder the working of the lock instead of helping.
WD40 will help flush dirt/grime out of a lock that cannot be dismantled for cleaning, it is amazing how much dirt gets into Vehicle locks over a short period of time. Some of the dirt could even come from your pocket. Our keys are not always clean when inserted in a Lock, some of the dirt stays in the lock when the key is removed.
Bugger, ive gone on a bit there...

Either way, lube the lock, I choose WD40 due to my experience.

Regards

Phil

Think mine has corroded!! :( noticed when got back from work yesterday!!! A few drips of oil on the floor where is the the sump situed on the RR? As its coming from a lump of metal just above/in front of the cat box!
Get it checked immediately bud, mines was like that and got worse. Seal ring corroded.
To be fair to be BMW I got my money back and it was replaced under warranty. Dealer said they are investigating the issue!!

Get it checked immediately bud, mines was like that and got worse. Seal ring corroded.
To be fair to be BMW I got my money back and it was replaced under warranty. Dealer said they are investigating the issue!!

Yeh she's oing in this Saturday!!!

Bike goes in on the 29th to get the sump replaced for the second time this year, this one lasted 5 months.

Bike goes in on the 29th to get the sump replaced for the second time this year, this one lasted 5 months.
I must be one of the lucky few that haven't (as yet!!) had anything go wrong with my bike - 2 years old 5,000 miles I fear that I am talking it up. But I can honestly say that if I hadn't got one and was thinking about buying one, after reading all comments about Build Quality , failures of electrics , engine problems , cush drive etc etc etc and BMW dealer attitude I would NOT touch one with a barge pole. Any one agree?

Latest posts

Back