Odd gear selection

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumpy

Reaction score
I was out for a blast yesterday and as I approached the lights, i was in second and tapped it into first by mistake:mad-new:, then came back up for neutral and then there was no gear selected and no neutral light. I just dipped into first again and came back up and grabbed neutral, then the green light came on.

WTF was all that about? any ideas?

Cheers

I think I might add a flashing confused smiley to the BM dash lights for future sub neutrals.

I was out for a blast yesterday and as I approached the lights, i was in second and tapped it into first by mistake:mad-new:, then came back up for neutral and then there was no gear selected and no neutral light. I just dipped into first again and came back up and grabbed neutral, then the green light came on.

WTF was all that about? any ideas?

Cheers

Check the chain and clutch cable slack both need to be spot on or it does that

I've had a similar problem with my S1000rr not engaging a gear correctly from time to time. Whether going up through the box with gear shift assist or down using the clutch. As my bike is now a dedicated track bike it has become an increasing problem. Apparently it's caused by a worn gear selector shaft. I am having this part replaced so I'll try and post a picture of the worn selector shaft.

Let us know what it costs for the star selector shaft please when you get it done :)
I heard about £140 ?
Like you say on the track it stands out
I did find myself being a bit if a fairy with the lever at times though , it does need to be a positive click

I've had a similar problem with my S1000rr not engaging a gear correctly from time to time. Whether going up through the box with gear shift assist or down using the clutch. As my bike is now a dedicated track bike it has become an increasing problem. Apparently it's caused by a worn gear selector shaft. I am having this part replaced so I'll try and post a picture of the worn selector shaft.

Yep, sticky star selector shaft. Just had mine replaced with the new gear box and engine. It's now a service item on BMW's list

Yep, sticky star selector shaft. Just had mine replaced with the new gear box and engine. It's now a service item on BMW's list

So its a cost that the owner needs to pick up and not a warranty job?

If the bike is within warranty then alls good................ if not get yer wallet out.

Mine was covered under warranty. However it got replaced because it was included as part of the new engine

My bike's now done 4k miles from new, of which about half is track mileage. I appreciate that riding it on track will generate far more wear and tear than general road riding. However the missed gears started before it became track dedicated. At first I put it down to rider error but experience and the regularity caused me to investigate further and I've had a few hairy moments on track thanks to a gear not engaging. Having chatted with other S1k owners at tracks it is a known issue and can occur after just 750 miles.

I've probably made too many alterations and upgrades to the bike to use the warranty. Always worth a try though.

Mmm guess that's a service item I can look forward too (not) once I get the bike on track a bit! lol

Latest posts

Back