New engine...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bananaman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
At the end of a recent 'tour' of Almeria in Spain I heard a slight new noise. As it was out of warranty (April last year) I rang Bruce at Park Lane and we concluded that it should be checked out before it went bang. Cutting along story short I was told the tolerances were out of spec and would need replacement short engine, great !!! As you can imagine, I wasn't best pleased even if it is a 190bhp race bike as it had only done 14500 'careful' road miles. Anyway, supplied all service history and some extra of my own, wrote a nice letter stating I bought this on the back of owning several BMW cars in the past and a GS in the garage. Park Lane then put in for a goodwill gesture from BMW and it was decided to supply a new short engine (which includes gearbox) foc, what a result !! Swallowing the labour came a lot easier lol . The head apparently was still spot on, cams etc.
My BIG thanks to all at BMW Park Lane Motorrad for all their help and guidance

"Tolerances out of spec" is that customer relations talk for fecked !

It now scares me that I have reached 18k, what else is going to go bang. I will probably be doing around 10k this summer mainly in Europe, but at least
I still have warranty....hopefully.

I come from an engineering background, rebuilt numerous car engines to a high spec but never been into bike engines. The noise I heard wasn't as far as I was concerned a 'terminal' noise just one that I needed to check out.
The mech on the phone just said he wouldn't be happy putting it back together as it was. I couldn't replicate the noise again before the strip down.....

Does the average main deeler, not bmw specifically, have the tools and facilities to carry out major rebuilds ? Thinking about it in my area most just seem to do routine servicing or component replacement and I can only think of one that actually has a seperate clean room away from the general service area for rebuilds and tuning mods.

Good that they are giving you new motor!! my R1 expired at just over 6000, it was 6month out of warranty and yamaha did not want to know after lots of emails and phone calls and a 3 month wait they said best they could do was supply parts to rebuild half price, I was sick of arguing the toss so took the offer, luckily my local yam dealer is an experienced engine builder and done a good price on the labour!! I done about 1000miles after rebuild and engine was sound but every time I twisted that throttle to press on it was constantly on my mind is it gonna hold out is it going to blow, so it had to go sold it and bought the s1000!! same happened to somebody I know with a blade so the bm is not alone in engine failure!! good of bmw to help out though, just like to point out blade was out of warranty and fixed out of good will too!!

Latest posts

Back