New 2016 owner.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monners

Reaction score
Hello,
Joining up as I have just picked up a new motorsports coloured 2016 bike. I already have a Ducati Panigale 1199s which I intend to take off the road and just use on track but these German chariots are so good that I can't wait to get it on track as well.

I've been riding two years last month and come from a car background so had a bit of experience on track. I bought a 2003 CBR 600F the afternoon of passing my test, chucked it down the road a few times trying to get random body parts on the ground then changed to a 2003 Yamaha R1 about six weeks and a couple of thousand miles later which I only chucked down the road once trying to get random body parts onto the ground. I did a Performance bikes trackday and a couple of Ron Haslam race school days around the same time.

I then got a 2012 Ducati Panigale 1199s a couple months after that which I later swapped for a new one after some problems due to the previous owner. Picked it up on Monday, did 600 miles for the first service on Thursday and then a 3500 miles trip to Southern Italy with the Italian girlfriend on her GSXR600 that she had at the time.

After smashing up a car with my leg at the beginning of Winter I got into Offroad as a more practical way to get two wheeled kicks in bad conditions.

I needed something more sensible for getting about as I don't like taking the Panigale out in winter salt so decided to try a KTM 1190 Adventure R. Like the GS the Adventure is an impressively fun and fast A road bike but I soon found out these massive adventure bikes are a bit of a marketing scam as they are completely impractical for real Offroad and do not like high speeds on the motorway without getting a death wobble! In particular if you fit the knobbly tck80 adventure tyres it completely ruins them as a road bike in my opinion, as it takes away all the sport bike like capability that the bike has with the Conti Road Attack tyres plus it reduces high speed on the motorway even more.

I started looking at other 'sensible' alternatives such as the Tuono (haha) which was amazing but made me realised I needed something with a fairing.

I got made redundant in January and decided to celebrate by getting something that could tick all the boxes as I would possibly need to start commuting longer distance for new work rather than the current London tube trip. I came full circle and after watching one of Baron VB videos on 44teeth.com decided to pop down to Barnstormers in Alton in the worst possible rain and wind conditions to test ride an S1000RR, like you do. I didn't actually think that the S1000RR would meet my needs but figured that if it could blast around the A272 in such wet and greasy conditions that it could go anywhere! I was mind blown at how well the bike coped with it. I always ride the Panigale in Race mode as I find the bikes work better that way and only come down to sport mode for really bad conditions. The BMW was in race the whole time and it would just spin the wheel up and slide around in the rain and grease without the slightest hint of problem. I ended up putting an order in that afternoon. As mine was not going to be delivered for a month I got the hire back for a trip down to Cornwall and had a riot. Even in 50mph wind and rain on the way home the bike was amazing. I picked mine up yesterday and very happy :)

Looking forward to catching up at a circuit or meet soon :)

I wanted to put some pictures in but do not seem to be able to edit the post?

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you've packed a lot into 2 years of riding, although you've come off more times than I have in 32 years of riding, take it easy man!! S1K is a brilliant all round bike as you've found out, how do you find the 1199? Re the GSA, I have one of those too, no wobbles for me fully loaded and flat on my er private test track.. must be my middle aged spread keeping the thing planted

Hire bike to Cornwall

Almeria last week :)

Nice one from Almeria last year

The angry italian girlfriend on her Triumph Daytona 675

Nurburgring

KTM 1190 Adventure R does hooligan stuff but is too much of a starship for offroad.

New S1000RR from Barnstormers in Alton :)

Blimey that's some adventure you've had since passing your test!
Welcome to the site. Are you a trackday junkie or looking to race and get your ACU license too?

I wanted to put some pictures in but do not seem to be able to edit the post?

yeah no edit after 5mins.
and no pics till you're not RED in colour.

Best to host pics on photobucket and then IMG tag them here.

Thanks for the welcome guys :) I'm just trackdays so far but I do have some intention to go racing; just not sure when yet. If there's a convenient ACU day in the next few months then I might get it down and take part in a few random races. I'm also ex Royal Marine and have some reserve stuff going on at the moment so may try and do the inter services races that run with Thundersport, although it would be with the Army team so I'm guaranteed neat sh*t from my mates in the Marines haha.

Thats assuming I'm on the pace in which case I'll keep practicing on the trackdays :)

Couple of vids , there's more on my youtube if anyone likes them

Almeria last week:
https://youtu.be/Rs4Mzf3KHKo

One from Nurburgring, that's a proper crazy place. Definitely belongs to the cars, and the drivers are soon fast. It's pretty crazy giving it beans and then have a couple of Porsches and BMW fly by in a corner 30mph quicker!
https://youtu.be/hQHxh9VFXZA

Sorry feel free to delete the junk posts, I don't seem to be able to edit at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you've no rights yet - please be patient. Soofsayer needs to mark you as a standard user, I would but don't have the rights. I can mop up till then!

Thats assuming I'm on the pace in which case I'll keep practicing on the trackdays :)

Couple of vids , there's more on my youtube if anyone likes them

Almeria last week:
https://youtu.be/Rs4Mzf3KHKo

One from Nurburgring, that's a proper crazy place. Definitely belongs to the cars, and the drivers are soon fast. It's pretty crazy giving it beans and then have a couple of Porsches and BMW fly by in a corner 30mph quicker!
https://youtu.be/hQHxh9VFXZA
What's going on with the Almeria camera man?

What's going on with the Almeria camera man?
Do you mean the camera on the bike man, or the camera-man standing by the track?! On the bike it's just vibrations, the Ducati vibrates anyhow but I think it's maybe made worse by me recording in quite a high resolution. Some friends recorded in lower res and it came out better.

Welcome mate great intro and snaps..as the lads say youve done a lot in 2 years....

Enjoy the chat and the forum...

Stu

stu's phone

cracking intro and pics, welcome, you know how to pedal a bike mate! natural talent or school boy motocross? lol

Do you mean the camera on the bike man, or the camera-man standing by the track?! On the bike it's just vibrations, the Ducati vibrates anyhow but I think it's maybe made worse by me recording in quite a high resolution. Some friends recorded in lower res and it came out better.
LOL i take your point! It were the camera shake..

Latest posts

Back