Lithium battery under volt protection

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
After checking the bike was working fine after winter I made the mistake of leaving it unplugged from the trickle charger?8 days ago, and it?s totally flat. Which means that it?s gone past the point where simply attaching the charger des any good because the UVP kicks in and the charger can?t detac5 the battery any more?

I have the CTEK charger for LiFePO4 batteries. It has a mode that?s supposed to get past the UVP - hold down reset for 10 secs and it lights up to show it has completed the unlock on UVP and it should start charging. It doesn?t. This happened before when the bike was a couple of weeks old. I had to get BMW Emergency Services out to kick the battery into life. The battery has to be strong still - it?s only 18 months old and the bike fired straight up a couple of weeks ago after the winter?.

?so is there any other way that I can get the battery to charge without getting BMW out?

Cheers

Jump start it?
cfb2d569421847c60b60afa8f58bef2c.jpg

Lol, back to basics: RTFM (Read the ****** manual)

For some reason I never think about jump starting a bike, but having followed the instructions and jumped it off my other bike, it is now taking a charge. Still concerned that this is the 2nd time I have lost the battery, but I'll let them look at it when it goes in for service/recall nest week.

Cheers

I love the fact the '23 doesn't have a tracker...it's not on charge and works every time I put the key in :) :p

#famouslastwords

Sounds like you have a bit of a duff battery. How are you using the trickle charger? Is it always on over winter? Better to only use it periodically to give the battery a chance to cycle. I have alarm and tracker on my 2020 M-Sport. Usually switch the charger on Friday morning and turn it off Sunday. Forgot to re-connect it once and had it off charge for 2 weeks and it still started on first press of the button.

Yup, I think the battery has been duff since I got it...

The trickle charger was on it all winter, it only checks the battery every so often, so not sure about the benefits of the Fri/Sun approach.

I am concerned however with recent history..
1. Gen 2: owned 11 years, on its 2nd battery, seems to be fine.
2. Gen 4: potentially s**t battery from get go
3. 2020 S1R: on trickle intermittently. Accident repair meant it spent 5 weeks at dealer when 9 months old.. they didn't charge it, so battery dead by time all parts fitted, told me battery was dead, had to make them do warranty claim for it.

Gen 4 service next Thursday, will be asking lots of Qs....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back