My 1st BMW

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls. I'm a newbe to this forum having just (2 weeks ago) taken delivery of my 1st BMW bike, a HP4 competition after a 3 month + wait and that was luckily only because someone who ordered it cancelled the order leaving it available for me :). I have only had chance to put a couple of hundred miles on it so far as I have been helping my son to move into a new house. So far all I can say is WOW! What a bike. I test rode the s1000rr when they were first introduced but wasn't quite impressed enough at the time to part exchange my McGuiness replica Fireblade.
I'm no youngster and decided that I would treat myself to a new bike. I started looking at the Panigale S and started doing some research which brought the HP4 into my sights. I spoke to the local dealership and was told delivery would be 2014! However after visiting the showroom to view in the flesh a carbon version that was awaiting delivery I got the lucky break.
I know that I will never experience the full potential of the bike though I'm no slouch and the miles that I have ridden so far even though restricted have made me realise that the harder you ride it the better it is!
I've made a few modifications like adding an Evotech tail tidy, radiator and oil cooler guards, stomp grips and Venture shield to the front and belly pan. The Evotch gear is very good, looks good and fits without fuss.

I do have a couple of other bikes, (couldn't bare to part with the Fireblade.) I guess just one advantage to being a bit older.
I look forward to reading through the forum and will keep in touch with how things progress.

Welcome to the forum and Grats on your new bike.

Why did you not choose the Panigale ? Was it due to the write ups or did you actually try one. The reason I ask is a was considering buying an R but all the write ups still say the S1000r is a better bike but I have not yet tried one.

Davy

Hi Davy, The reasons why I didn't buy the Panigale are as follows : When the salesman started the demo bike it smoked heavier than I do and was very noisy. When I started reading up on it I found a write up from a guy who was selling his and stated that he would include a litre of oil as it would be needed! Also, I do quite a few track days and although I have a track bike (R1) I do intend to ride the bike on track at some stage (probably next year) and I am quite sure that the Panigale would struggle to clear noise testing particularly at our local circuit, Castle Combe. The Panigale is a very beautiful, exotic looking bike but having compared it to the HP4, for me it was a no brainer.

Mike

Mike,
Thanks for the reply, I have heard that before about the oil but have also heard it "beds in"...who knows, likewise I heard the noise could be a problem for track days. I would really only want the bike for track days so that could be an issue.

It is a beautiful bike and I guess I'm just going to need to try one and hope I hate it (which is what I was hoping you were going to say).

Regards
Davy

Hi Mikey
welcome, you find some very interesting/ informative stuff on this site, good bunch of guys& Gals.
Like you I got my first BMW - HP4 at the end of March and I love it, previously for the last 13 years I've had 4 R1 which I loved but the HP 4 is in a different league especially after the first 600 mile service and the limiter is taken of, that's when you'll really notice how good/ fast it is.
What did you say you fitted to the belly pan? Since getting mine I've fitted an R&G radiator & oil grill, crash bobbins and waiting for my carbon hugger to be delivered.

Last edited:
Hi Doc,

I fitted Venture Shield to the front and belly pan to protect that beautiful carbon from stone chips. I went for the Evotech radiator and oil cooler guards as they hook on and utilise the existing radiator to oil cooler attachment bolts. My track bike is a 4C8 R1 and is a great track bike. It's only done 3000 miles and I've fitted Marchesini wheels, HM quickshifter plus, VCR rearsets, carbon fender etc. It is enough for me.
As you say and I'm sure your right, I can't wait to clear the first service and get the full power available.
I do think that a carbon hugger and chain guard would be great additions and am quite surprised that they were not standard. I will follow your lead and fit them. I think that King Carbon do some very nice bits.

Mikey, have a look at the shop on here, Kayleum295 (James) does carbon huggers & chain guard (see pics he posted of them) and gives a discount if you mention your on here, I ordered one from him just waiting for It to come.. There can never be to many Doctors Docta13 :sneakiness:

Back