Have I wrecked my bike!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob999

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Only done 1200 miles, not long since 1st service. Lost my balance whilst riding on deep gravel. Bike started to go over, and i ended up grabbing a load of throttle in 1st whilst clutch was pulled in just to keep it upright. Hit 10,000rpm for about 2 seconds! Have i wrecked it!?

Only done 1200 miles, not long since 1st service. Lost my balance whilst riding on deep gravel. Bike started to go over, and i ended up grabbing a load of throttle in 1st whilst clutch was pulled in just to keep it upright. Hit 10,000rpm for about 2 seconds! Have i wrecked it!?

Absolutely not. After the first service mine was bounced off the limiter in every gear bar maybe 6th [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] it?s still flying at 12k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I have to ask, what were you doing in deep gravel? I know some folk like putting chunky tyres on sports bikes to do insane stuff but the SRR is a little expensive for that.

If you have done any damage it probably won't show for another 50K miles. So if you plan on riding it in deep gravel the chances are you'll write it off long before that :friendly_wink:

Ha! Up at mates caravan. First time been up since they decided to gravel all the site roads instead of doing the job properly with tarmac. It's bloody deep in places.

I'm always amazed by the technology in these motors. BMW have obviously done hundreds of thousands of hours in quality checking theses things to last a normal engine life time. They decided to put a hard limit at 14K rpm to prevent any potential problems so I assume it can go quite a bit past that. At 14K rpm the piston is moving 5cm up the bore at incredible speed, coming to a full stop then heading back down 5cm only to come to a full stop again. It does this 233 times a bloody second. I struggle to get my head around it. 10K is nothing!

One of my mates was saying he'd never buy a BMW with a shift cam engine. He didn't want a motor that operated a switch every time the rev counter went over 8K rpm. I used the above as an example, he shut up after that.

Ha! Up at mates caravan. First time been up since they decided to gravel all the site roads instead of doing the job properly with tarmac. It's bloody deep in places.

I hate do as they likeys.

I'm always amazed by the technology in these motors. BMW have obviously done hundreds of thousands of hours in quality checking theses things to last a normal engine life time. They decided to put a hard limit at 14K rpm to prevent any potential problems so I assume it can go quite a bit past that. At 14K rpm the piston is moving 5cm up the bore at incredible speed, coming to a full stop then heading back down 5cm only to come to a full stop again. It does this 233 times a bloody second. I struggle to get my head around it. 10K is nothing!

I was worried because the engine wasn't under any sort of load as I'd already pulled the clutch in and then grabbed a handful. Been out today and my paranoia kicked in because there is now a noticable clicking / rattly noise coming from top of engine that wasn't noticable before and the ride feels more vibey. Trip to the dealer I think to see what they say.

Is it possible that you were not wearing ear plugs on your last ride? I'm always surprised by the motor clicking noises when I do a 2 mile trip the garage to fill up. I don't put plugs in for this and the engine always sounds different.

You tend to get a clicking tappety noise when the engine is cold, once warm it tends to go away. You also usually get clicking from the CCT before it gets to the next notch as there is slight wear from the cam chain itself, then when the CCT adjusts that little bit more the noise goes away.

At low speeds mine sounds like a bag of spanners. There's a horrid hollow clattering. Until it blows up I assume its normal... It has been serviced and unlocked in the last 24hrs with no mention of issues.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Is it possible that you were not wearing ear plugs on your last ride? I'm always surprised by the motor clicking noises when I do a 2 mile trip the garage to fill up. I don't put plugs in for this and the engine always sounds different.

You know you could be right. The day I picked it up I was listening to music through the headset, so for all I know it could of always been there!

Latest posts

Back