My 10 biggest lessons in biking. What are yours?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallmanA

Reaction score
I?ve ridden bikes for 38 years. That?s included an XT500 from London to Australia, racing MZs, road testing at MCN, a bit of trials and enduro and a fair few track days. Here are 10 lessons I?ve learnt.

1. Breathe. It?s kinda important you know. I realised how apprehension at best and sheer terror at worst resulted in very shallow, fast breathing or even no breathing. I now force myself to remember to breathe properly, taking big, lardy gulps of air. Hat-tip to the Yamaha tutors at the Nurburgring many years ago who wouldn?t let a bunch of testosteroned-fuelled bike journalists out until they?d brought their heart-rate down to near-cryogenics levels.
  2. Track. Only when I spent some proper time on track days and with track tuition did I learn to ride properly. The 20-years before that was a relative waste of time and I learnt little. If I could re-run my life again I?d have gone off for some track training straight after passing my test. Oh, and be John Bonham. That?s why I love three or four day track events in Spain, Brno, etc. It?s only on the last two days that it comes together.
  3. Remove. No, not centre stands and all that clutter but distractions. Again, track time taught me that. A good friend who rides on the road at modest pace was completely at sea on a track until we took his mirrors off, told him to do clutchless upshifts and never to look behind. He rode 20-times better, enjoyed it more and learnt more. I ride doing only two things these days. Breathing and looking. Everything else is a distant third or more.
  4. Prep. To achieve point three ? the removal of as many distractions as possible ? I won?t ride with a loose chain, tyres whose pressure I haven?t checked, luggage not strapped properly, throttle cables (where applicable) not oiled, levers not lubed. It isn?t that I?m a perfectionist. It?s that they?ll play on my mind otherwise. And I?m simply not smart enough to multitask with all that stuff going on in my head.
  5. Rebound. Suspension is the ultimate Venn Diagram. Everything you fiddle with has a consequence somewhere else. This makes it a field ripe for those with half-knowledge or no-knowledge. I fall into the former category. With that caveat in mind, I?m now clear on what matters (leaving aside the bleedin? obvious like tyre pressures or a bent chassis). Sag first, then rebound. I attribute this to YouTube guru Dave Moss and my own experience. Everything else is secondary. Yes, including compression damping.
  6. Front. Get over it. The front, I mean. I can?t ride fast with confidence if I?m not over the front, pulled forward in the seat, head down. It?s why I sold my S1000 XR, which doesn?t let you do that.
  7. Throttle. Steer with it. Ye Gods, it?s taken me near four decades to learn this. Revs high most, if not all, of the time, ease off the throttle to tighten the corner, ease it open to widen it. Yeah, yeah, I know lots of you super-quick track boys and girls know this but most mortals don?t. It?s a revelation and feeds through into the speeds you approach corners, the use (or lack-of-use) of the brakes and more. Why didn?t someone tell me that in 1979? (Answer: ?Cos your Honda SS50 on the Isle of Wight was outpaced by local red squirrels and even flora?). A provocation: If you?re in the business of riding fast then the throttle is either on or off. Anything in between is wasting time. Discuss.
  8. Panic. Don?t. In the past two years I?ve lost the front twice (on my former and immaculate Honda SP-2 and my current shonker GSX-R1000 K1 track bike). The latter actually fell hard at Rockingham. Both times I picked the bike back up with my knee. I?m no riding God. The trick? I didn?t throttle off and I didn?t touch the brakes (it helps I?ve got big knees too?). Bikes can be amazingly forgiving. Except when they?re not. Then they hurt. (An aside on the two incidents above. I replayed what happened to learn from it. On the SP-2 I was dragging the front brakes into the r/h corner at the end of the start-finish straight at Almeria. On the GSX-R I peeled in too early and hit the frictionless r/h kerb at heavy lean.)
  9. Listen. It?s hard to believe there are people in this world who know more than I do. It makes me wretch to think this is true. However, the odd California Superbike School instructor, Rupert Paul (ex-Performance Bikes editor) and Simon Crafar all appear to know their RR from their elbow. I must stifle the urge to ?mansplain?, shut my fat trap and hang on every word from my superiors.
  10. Learn. From mistakes. Honestly, this is the hardest bloody lesson. The C-spanner that didn?t fit the rear shock and mashed the adjuster up last time does exactly the same this time, FFS; but why aren?t fairing screws best stored loosely on a gravel drive rather than in a pot?; I know it seems like there is, but honestly, Doctor, there is no connection between riding in flip flops and coming off a bike.

Those are my 10. Yours?

great post mate , has gave me loads to think about, don't think I could come up with ten, only been riding 8 years maybe I need more time!

Last edited:
Keep a light grip on the handle bars and let the steering move around when it needs to. If you hold tight then it sends tank slaps through your body and the bike. The S1000RR doesn't tank slap anywhere near as much as the Panigale but it still has it's moments.

Same applies in hard braking. Support yourself with your legs around the tank and feet on the pegs as much as possible, instead of weight on the bars. Often easier said than done but it makes a big difference.

The better your balance on the footpegs, straight or hanging off like a monkey, the better your riding - it puts your body in the right position in relation to the bike and helps with the above points. 'Twist of the Wrist' is wrong, modern bikes can be steered from the pegs to some degree due to steeper steering angle and rake. Counter steering is still the most efficient way but if your feet are weighted in the right direction to influence the pegs then it helps line everything else up so you are able to just counter steering and not put a bunch of incorrect signals through the bar because you're hanging on for dear life :)

Havn't got time for more ramblings!

Never buy a cagiva !!!!!! Money pit [emoji35]

Slick mode ... It's the new legal high !!

What words of wisdom have I got...

1) Buy your bike in January when both private sellers and dealers are desperate to get rid
2) Before starting a 'maintenance' job on your bike that you've not done before, get the right tools, have a plan, photo what's come off where and don't force anything
3) Don't show off unless you truly are brilliant as it'll end in tears (highsided my 350LC in front of a group of girls, enough said...)
4) Always look ahead, read the road and anticipate
5) Get on track as it allows you to learn how far you can push your bike in comparative safety
6) Always wear protective clothing - I got the p*ss taken out of me big time by my mates when I bought 1 piece leathers in 1990, then as they all crashed in jeans / not wearing gloves etc they all did the same.
7) Find somewhere handy to keep your credit card when riding in France, nothing worse than holding everyone up while fudging about trying to get it out (that's for you Stu!) at the Peage
8) That someone who has a 'slower' bike than yours is a slower rider
9) Pinlock visor inserts are one of the best biking inventions ever
10) Never think you know it all, even after 32 years of riding I still make mistakes

I only have two so far....

1/ I am not Valantino Rossi...just because he does it dosn't mean I can.

2/ When pretending I am as talented as Rossi the end result is painful and costs a few quid...

Not in any particular Order
1. Relax.
2. You are only as good as your last ride.
3. Never ever give up trying to Improve your riding, I was told this by the IAM Examiner after my Test back in 1992..
4. Never dismiss advice... EVER!
5. Lose your Vision Lose your Speed.
6. Dont Panic, keep calm (see 1 above).
7. There will always be someone quicker out there.
8. Highsides hurt (a Lot).
9. Throttle control is everything. (see no. 8)
10.Use the brakes to stop a Moped, bare feet wont stop you but the result will stop you from walking for a while after trying.

Last edited:
'Use the brakes to stop a Moped' ? :)
Yep. first lesson I learnt when I jumped on a moped with bare feet at the tender age of 13. I was heading for the fence in my dads drive, panic set in, I put my feet down to stop the bloody thing and crash. My feet were bleeding useless as brakes.. :stupid:

Last edited:
Phil - point 4 - advice - entirely depends who's giving it. I've heard some absolute class A BS at times from self proclaimed experts.

Lots to think about, SmallmanA. Thanks.

Three pearls of wisdom I've picked up over the years:

1. Assume you're invisible (you're then better prepared for when someone pulls out on you).
2. Look where you want to go (not at the kerb/tree/oliy patch you're trying to avoid).
3. When there's a big queue at Loomies, get your coffee from the garage next door.
4. Learn to count (it's useful when you don't have a reliable fuel warning light).

1) treat every other road user as if they are trying to kill you
2) track tyres dont make good road tyres especially in the cold and wet
3) no your limitations - be it riding skills or skills with the spanners.
4) dont skimp on safety gear. Boots gloves and lids save skin and bones .
5) rider talent will ALWAYS out do a faster bike

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Think most of the good ones are covered.
Best one I was taught was most of the time the bike will go round the corner , only you can **** it up :)

Think most of the good ones are covered.
Best one I was taught was most of the time the bike will go round the corner , only you can **** it up :)

All the above is good advice, a good instructor once told me, " if you go in too hot, you may as well crash trying to get around the turn as crash bailing out, 9 times out of ten you will make it" Stuck with me ever since and has worked lol

All the above is good advice, a good instructor once told me, " if you go in too hot, you may as well crash trying to get around the turn as crash bailing out, 9 times out of ten you will make it" Stuck with me ever since and has worked lol

That's a revelation, thanks B-man.

I got the act like your invisible advice years ago.

It's true. People will genuinely not see you. It doesn't matter if your on a orange rc8r in Orange 1 piece. They won't see you.

My extra on that is don't get worked up and angry at everyone who does stupid things on the road. Just move on. You won't change them. They probably don't know why your roaring at them. All your going to do is upset yourself.

Another one I go for. If your going to go fast, then go fast till your home. You don't know who is following.
Controversial yes but I know too many lads banned after a burst of speed got the keys pulled out of the bike.

Latest posts

Back