Motomillion M1000RR troubles

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched it a few hours back. I think the crux of the issue is that BMW and other companies are outsourcing too much especially in the US, I struggle to believe that BMW themselves would be so shit...but engaging them direct is far too hard.

More bearing issues. Does make me nervous.

I don't believe the owner did anything wrong.

This is bound to raise eyebrows of current owners and potential new customers and doesn't do BMW any favours globally.

Not sure how the engine assembly happens but even with the components bought in you'd expect BMW to build it up in house and that it would be fully poke yoked (idiot proofing) to stop any human errors during that 🫣

Hopefully Herman had good vibes the day my S1000RR was made 😂

Same as here really; https://s1000rrforum.co.uk/threads/k67-2020-broken-rod-bearing-video.14292/
I was expecting to criticise Motomillion in some way, expecting a thrashing whilst cold or something. But when he said he rode it there before is was put on the dyno I felt they'd done enough. I'd probably not do that myself (straight to dyno) but IMO it should handle it.

BMW not honouring the warranty was pure cowboy and will kill their sales in the USA if the behaviour is national.

Was this specific to the M 1000 engines. Are they tweaked compared to the normal S1000 engines?

Phew! Makes me glad I didn’t go for the M1000RR!! Feel bad for those owners sitting on a ticking time bomb! Hopefully just a few bad ones and the rest ok!

Same as here really; https://s1000rrforum.co.uk/threads/k67-2020-broken-rod-bearing-video.14292/
I was expecting to criticise Motomillion in some way, expecting a thrashing whilst cold or something. But when he said he rode it there before is was put on the dyno I felt they'd done enough. I'd probably not do that myself (straight to dyno) but IMO it should handle it.

BMW not honouring the warranty was pure cowboy and will kill their sales in the USA if the behaviour is national.
It's good to get a bit of insight on how the engine is put together or in this case pulled apart 🙂

What do you think Ricky meant about the cause of his engine failure being down to the oil temp not being up high enough? Oil too viscous and not getting to where it should to lube?

You'd think that all with all the history, new design and engineering that goes into modern engines they'd be pretty much bulletproof nowadays.

shit i hope this doesnt happen to my m1000r,im not sure if my engine is the same as the m1000rr
Think the M1k has a slightly different engine to the normal S1k ….in one of the examples was a guy that had the M1kR that ended up having a hole in his engine! But BMW covered it under warranty. It is worrying that the one in Carwow went in the same way. Hope it’s not a design floor!

The MR has the S1000RR engine.
The MRR gets the trick stuff.

But to be frank both engines have seen similar failures.

Its the warranty bit that worries me most. How a major corp can just tell you to jog on for no real reason. I hope this doesn't spread to the UK.

I always let the dealer service my bikes while they're in warranty. And surely there was another BMW dealer closer than 19 hours away. I'm guessing it had a tune as well as the headers at 400 miles, and the over rev were all red flags for BMW. There's plenty of posts on US forums where people reckon they can do whatever they like to the bikes, and BMW have to suck it up if it breaks. I reckon the GSX-R1000R has a more robust engine, but in 2022 one of those was £2k more than my S1000RR Sport. Perhaps Suzuki threw in the towel because they wouldn't cut corners on the bike.

Mapping seemed to be missing from the convo. Brentune suck ass so I hope they didn't put one on.
Having said that, the 250rpm over rev is hard to understand without a map...

Ah the plot thickens. So it was Brentuned. Yep they are fooked for warranty.

(Not watched at this point)

There's no disputing that the BMW downpipes/cats are an ugly thing. But I've when I've pushed a couple of dealers for something in writing about aftermarket headers definitely not affecting the warranty, they've gone quiet. Though the bearing cap being loose on the Motomillion bike suggests it wasn't right from the factory. Wasn't this a problem on Gen1 bikes that had to be recalled? If they'd have been smart, they'd have tightened the cap down, put the bike back to standard, and waited not very long for the inevitable.

The steer I had on exhausts from the dealer was, if it's unrelated and good quality they wouldn't bring it up with BMW.
An exhaust cannot cause a bearing to fail.

I always let the dealer service my bikes while they're in warranty. And surely there was another BMW dealer closer than 19 hours away. I'm guessing it had a tune as well as the headers at 400 miles, and the over rev were all red flags for BMW. There's plenty of posts on US forums where people reckon they can do whatever they like to the bikes, and BMW have to suck it up if it breaks. I reckon the GSX-R1000R has a more robust engine, but in 2022 one of those was £2k more than my S1000RR Sport. Perhaps Suzuki threw in the towel because they wouldn't cut corners on the bike.
I had a Gixxer L7 and threw it back after a full crank change failed to stop the vibes being off the scale. All done under warranty.
A 400 mile S/M1000RR isn’t fully run in yet and won’t have had the dealer first service. There needs to be 1000km (600miles) minimum before this happens. At that point the dealer takes the rev limiter off as well as changing the fluids and you’re good to go.
Sooooooo 400 miles to the dyno run and he wonders:-
A. Why it went bang
B. Why BMW won’t honour the warranty
I think we might all be being taken for a ride here, and not by BMW.

The manual states and the dealer will comfirm it's 300-750 miles for the break in service. If you go longer than 750 you will also invalidate the warranty.

1710508933860.png

Latest posts

Back