Metal found in sump at service.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well according to Cannon BMW its a valve spring seat ( well part of one!) I asked them to contact BMW which they did and emailled a pic of the offending item. BMW suggested it could be a valve spring seat so Cannon ordered one in and offered the metal bit up and its the same radius, thickness etc. So they have concluded this is what needs replacing.

My issue is, how come BMW were able to guess so accurately from just a picture with no real scale. They apparently didnt offer alternatives, just that one specific part. Now that says to me they know where to look because its a know fault so can anyone tell me, is this a weakness in this motor if which BMW are already aware of but are keeping quiet about?

Good that the mystery has been solved. I think you're reading too much into it. It's not something I have heard of before. It may be the case that BMW tech know their stuff, and do you know the dealer was stupid enough not to send measurements with the picture?

Good that the mystery has been solved. I think you're reading too much into it. It's not something I have heard of before. It may be the case that BMW tech know their stuff, and do you know the dealer was stupid enough not to send measurements with the picture?

Wow, I had written off anything north of the crank. It's pretty lucky it made I'd that far without causing damage...

I think soof is right, just bm tech knowing what they're doing?

Very possibly but the service guy im dealing with doesnt seem to have a clue. I asked him if they could check a particular thing and he said thet could but it would mean splitting the engine. I said ok but thought it odd. 15 mins later he calls back and says, weve checked that and its fine????? Really!
The actual techs may well be very good but when my only contact doesnt instill me with confidence it does put doubts in my mind. Im going to pop down there on tuesday and try to speak to a grown up!

But i still dont see how BMW could argue that a failure of a part like that is acceptable on a 24k full history engine.

Have you spoken to the dealers you bought the bike from? If it was delivered to you less than 6 months ago, then it should be down to them to sort it (or pay for it).

Latest posts

Back