Lessons learnt

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMORTAL_Indian

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
So, thought I would start a small list of your own experience/ embarrassing stories.

1. Had my 1st bike that had a centre stand. Purchased from Cornwall and had to ride it back home. Just could not get to grips with it until 4th pit stop at Oxford Services and someone pointed out the side stand [emoji24]

2. Do not adjust the chain when on the centre stand.

I?ve made a few other howlers, but you learn from them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure your boot isnt caught up in the rearset guard before you stop and can't put your foot down

boots with a boa/lace system are a pain for that if theres a bit hanging outside the boot....

1) Your leathers must be really tight when you wear them for the 1st time.
2) When you bleed the brakes always test them.
3) Learn if your oil level is measured with cold or hot engine and adjust it accordingly.
and I might have more in the future.

I once went on a trip to Germany with a bunch of ZZR1400 guys (I was on my BM). One of them (a trained VW car technician) was saying how he'd just put new braided lines on his bike to improve the brakes. For the first day we did mostly autobahn at 100mph+. Next day was on twisty mountain roads. I was following the guy with the new brake lines. First corner he fully locks the rear wheel, skids about 100 meters, crosses the road with a car coming the other way to end up on the grass verge on the other side of the road. I was gob smacked he missed everything and stayed on. Checked his brake lines and he'd reversed them so if the abs was activated it forced the pads onto the disc. Can't imagine the carnage if that had happened on the first day. I didn't go away with them for a second time.

Last edited:
3) Learn if your oil level is measured with cold or hot engine and adjust it accordingly.
Now you bloomin' well tell me to read the user manual first! Just did that very same thing with my Ducati Scrambler, ended up having to drop the oil level after I'd topped it up, removing the 600ml I'd just put in. Bloomi' oil everywhere on the brick paved drive except in the designated catch pan beneath the sump plug. My lawyer will be in touch....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back