intermittent indicator fault

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ubik

Reaction score
I fitted the Motodynamics flush indicators today and I'm getting an intermittent fault. I used the harness they do and the resistors and I'm still getting a fault. When I first put them on I was getting the fault strait away so I put my BMW front LED indicators on because they have the resistors built in and all was working fine but now when you first turn the bike on they work fine but after riding for a while then indicating you get the fault then they wont work at all. If you turn the bike off then on again it clears the fault then after the first few times you get the fault again. I don't know why so any help wold be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

Alex just to clarify what indicators are you using and in what combination?

Motodynamics front and rear, front only or rear only?

I have Motodynamics on the front and the rear and the only way they will work when fitted at both ends is with the resistors fitted to the front indicators only (do not fit them to the rear).

If you are using them with the BMW ones which already have resistors fitted then you try fitting the motodynamics ones without resistors fitted to see if it works.

The canbus system is overly picky on these bikes it has to be said.

Also out of interest are these indicators replacing the standard bulb types?

If you are using the BMW LED indicators then I am sure you need to get the ECU tweaked by a dealer (about ?30 i think) to accommodate the indicators, with the Motodynamics ones you don't as I assume the resistors are designed to adjust the wattage enough to mimic the original bulb type indicators? (mine certainly didn't need to go to a dealer and works fine).

Thanks for the reply!

just to clarify I have put the BMW led ones on the front and the motodynamics flush ones on the back.

I think you're right. I'm either going to have to get the front flush ones or get the ecu flash so it doesn't pick up an indicator fault.

Try removing the resistors off the rear ones first, the BMW haves built in resistors so they may be enough for the circuit.

It was a bit trial and error for me with all 4 Motodynamics ones, when i fit the resistors to the rear indicators and left them off the front the indicators wouldn't work, when i switched the resistors to the front only it worked perfectly so it may be the case with the setup you have.

For the sake of whipping the resistors off the back ones to see if it works with the BMW LED's fitted at the front it has got to be worth the try :)

I think it might have been my wishful thinking that the BMW ones have them built in because they worked straight away on my 2010 with no fault. I think I'll try taking the motodynamics resistors of the back and put them on the front and see if that works

Right sorted at last !

had a service booked in with cannon BMW for Saturday just gone so I asked them to do what needs doing to the ecu so it wasn't showing the fault. I left my them doing the service for a while ( hours ! ) then popped my head in the workshop to see how it was going and they said they still can't sort it out. They said the ecu wouldn't have it set up like it was so I just said leave it and I'll sort it by putting resistors on the front. Sunday morning I did a bit more Googleing and found you can turn the fault off your self in the settings menu of the bike! It's on page 83 of the manual. I turned the fault off in the settings and although I'd turned it off the indicators still wouldn't flash so I took the resistors of and hey presto it all works ! Lots of trial and error but we got there in the end.

Back