Insurance / European recovery cover

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMORTAL_Indian

Reaction score
Now the bike is ordered, need to look at the insurance...

What sort of money should I be looking at for?

Had my licence for 14 years. Riding for 6 years, I have about 5 years no claims and 1 non-fault accident that the 3rd party paid 100% for...(last year)

Looked on GoCompare and got ?526.71.... need to check the fineprint, however need to have European cover too (most companies give 4 week cover for Europe, right)

What can you all recommend please?

Go compare is as good a place as anywhere to get a decent quote. Your occupation, where you live and where you keep your bike are as big a factor as anything else, the no fault accident will also impact unfortunately. I'd say that quote was in the right ball park but its impossible to say if its good or bad without factoring in everything else.

This was mine for the S1000. See there is gold for being old lol

I had to upgraded my European cover with someone, either the bank or insurance company. Cast about 50 quid but gave full recovery back to the uk if it couldn't be repaired locally. I'll see if I can dig out the details but it was well worth the comfort it gave me

What.... Not even gonna ask how old you are ;-)

I will be 45 this year !! But feel 21 !!
As my mother once said "As old as my nose but a little older than my teeth" lol...... oh ah 58 feel around 50ish

I'd like my insurance cost to be somewhere nearer yours Marzy. Yours looks closer to my monthly payment lol. I think most companies will give a minimum of 30 days European cover. I think mine gives 60 as an example. The European breakdown will be covered by the BMW assistance won't it?

incidentally, the cheapest at the top does 360 days euro cover.

Does anyone know what BMW assistance actually includes? I asked my dealer but they were a bit vague?? How long does it last from buying new bike? Does it include recovery to your home from anywhere within UK/Europe or just to nearest BMW dealer? Sorry to have to ask on here but can't seem to get a clear answer on this from dealer! :-/

Does anyone know what BMW assistance actually includes? I asked my dealer but they were a bit vague?? How long does it last from buying new bike? Does it include recovery to your home from anywhere within UK/Europe or just to nearest BMW dealer? Sorry to have to ask on here but can't seem to get a clear answer on this from dealer! :-/

Hi Cavey, Ive used the recovery twice, once for a failed fuel pump on my GS and once for a torn tyre on my HP. Both times they took me to my nominated destination not the dealer, albeit it was night time on the GS and a Sunday on the HP.
The recovery company don't care, they get paid by BMW.

As far as I understand it is valid as long as your BMW warranty is in place.

JimmyMac

@soofsayer - Awesome - didn't realise I was getting that!

From the FAQ on that link:
Provided your BMW bike was registered from new in the UK and not imported, you are automatically entitled to two years BMW Insured Emergency Service cover from the date of first registration. BMW Insured Emergency Service is also included within a valid BMW Extended Warranty or Approved Used Bike Warranty. If you are still unsure whether you have a current policy, please call the BMW Warranty Services on 0345 641 9791. Lines are open 08:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday and 9:00 to 13:00 on Saturday, excluding public holidays.

Hi Cavey, Ive used the recovery twice, once for a failed fuel pump on my GS and once for a torn tyre on my HP. Both times they took me to my nominated destination not the dealer, albeit it was night time on the GS and a Sunday on the HP.
The recovery company don't care, they get paid by BMW.

As far as I understand it is valid as long as your BMW warranty is in place.

JimmyMac
Cheers Jimmy...thanks for clarifying ;) ....does anyone know if this includes Europe or just UK? Apologies again for the crappy question but believe it or not my dealer "wasn't sure?!"

Last line (from Soof's link https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/EmergencyService#_EmergencyDetails );

"Wherever possible, we will endeavour to arrange assistance by a dedicated BMW Customer Service Vehicle. If the problem cannot be resolved and the vehicle is immobilised we will arrange for recovery to the nearest BMW Authorised Retailer (or to the BMW Authorised Retailer nearest to your home address).

If the vehicle cannot be repaired by the Retailer within four hours, we can provide a replacement vehicle or arrange onward mobility for up to 2 working days. Alternatively, we will arrange hotel accommodation if this is the most convenient solution.

Once the vehicle is repaired we will arrange for it to be redelivered back to you.

For assistance required within Continental Europe we will repatriate you and your vehicle if the vehicle cannot be repaired before the end of your planned return date."

Last edited:
Last line (from Soof's link https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/EmergencyService#_EmergencyDetails );

"Wherever possible, we will endeavour to arrange assistance by a dedicated BMW Customer Service Vehicle. If the problem cannot be resolved and the vehicle is immobilised we will arrange for recovery to the nearest BMW Authorised Retailer (or to the BMW Authorised Retailer nearest to your home address).

If the vehicle cannot be repaired by the Retailer within four hours, we can provide a replacement vehicle or arrange onward mobility for up to 2 working days. Alternatively, we will arrange hotel accommodation if this is the most convenient solution.

Once the vehicle is repaired we will arrange for it to be redelivered back to you.

For assistance required within Continental Europe we will repatriate you and your vehicle if the vehicle cannot be repaired before the end of your planned return date."
Cheers Alex...much appreciated sir! ;)

Latest posts

Back