Insurance and modifications

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDave

Reaction score
So what's the deal here then, why are insurers so difficult about a few bolt on bits? The biggest issue seems to be the exhaust, but don't most bikes have them fitted these days?

I'm currently on hold to one insurer because whilst you can add the value of modifications in the quote section - and bend over for an associated price hike - the small print excludes all cover if the bike has been modified from the manufacturers standard spec. WTF

In my experience, insurers are only really interested in anything that adds more than a 5% performance increase over stock. This number was quoted to me when I discussed the slip-on on my S1K and my previous Triumph Speed Triple. Different insurers, different bikes, both the same consideration it would seem.

I guess if you add mods that significantly increase the value of the bike, they may take notice. I would imagine that this is more of a question of how much they will have to pay out vs a performance increase which could increase the likelihood of an accident in the first place.

Plus, is it possible to get insurance for the road with a full race system exhaust with doesn't have baffles to make it road legal? Again, when discussing my slip-ons with insurers, the question of them being road-legal pipes seemed to be significant, although as they were road-legal, I never queried the point further.

Yeah I get dry bummed by my insurance company every year , exhaust , wheels , Pcv all take their toll

Don't think "I'd be up for that fat bob" have you tried some lube? Owe and shopping around for insurance :nevreness:

I've had insurance cancelled due to none declaration of modifications, why else do you think I questioned your post.

It also voids your insurance, so if an accident occurs and they find your bike modified then they won't pay out. So now who gave the silly comment?

I've had insurance cancelled due to none declaration of modifications, why else do you think I questioned your post.

It also voids your insurance, so if an accident occurs and they find your bike modified then they won't pay out. So now who gave the silly comment?

Oh well that's a shame, I haven't, here's a question for you
Are you deliberately tryin to wind me up?

Latest posts

Back