Ideas to get Iain started on track!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend the open pit format tbh iain , I always do these now. you can go in and out as you please meaning when your in your rhythm your not getting pulled off track which can be frustrating. even though there will be some really fast guys they are past you before you know what's happening usually and if there are slower riders you can take your time to pass because your not limited to 20 min sessions. obviously try a novice group first to find your feet.

Last edited:
Agree with all that, please email me and I'll send you our info sheet, read it and enter. On June 20th at Cadwell I claim to run the best day for beginners, compulsory 1st session training in small squads and you'll be encouraged to ride more in the same fashion, if my instructors are doing their job correctly you'll not be allowed to ride on your own until you've demonstrated you are capable of riding a reasonable line and are confident. If you turn out to be a natural we'll move you up a group. It's all included in the entry fee, hence our price of ?120 instead of a commercial day at ?99. I promise you we are not a load of BOFs, I've never seen anyone wearing slippers or smokin' a pipe, (at least not when they're riding). [email protected]

p.s. we've got 28 track day 1st timers tomorrow at Snetterton, 6 of them female, and another 6 girlies riding in the other groups.

Is there much tuition at open pits? Like you say a novice group will be best to start with, donnington looks like a good track to start plus i know Oulton park very well as ive been round there a lot (p*ssed up on a BMX last weekend at BSB haha) and also done a track day in my car their last year.

Agree with all that, please email me and I'll send you our info sheet, read it and enter. On June 20th at Cadwell I claim to run the best day for beginners, compulsory 1st session training in small squads and you'll be encouraged to ride more in the same fashion, if my instructors are doing their job correctly you'll not be allowed to ride on your own until you've demonstrated you are capable of riding a reasonable line and are confident. If you turn out to be a natural we'll move you up a group. It's all included in the entry fee, hence our price of ?120 instead of a commercial day at ?99. I promise you we are not a load of BOFs, I've never seen anyone wearing slippers or smokin' a pipe, (at least not when they're riding). [email protected] p.s. we've got 28 track day 1st timers tomorrow at Snetterton, 6 of them female, and another 6 girlies riding in the other groups.
Thanks Bins i will Email you for info :)

Is there much tuition at open pits? Like you say a novice group will be best to start with, donnington looks like a good track to start plus i know Oulton park very well as ive been round there a lot (p*ssed up on a BMX last weekend at BSB haha) and also done a track day in my car their last year.

I have never seen tuition at open pits, or any standard trackday unless you pay extra. Just because they run a novice group doesn't mean you get tuition, you just get put in that group. The bins trackdays do give tuition for those that want it. The instructors are there for everyone, not just beginners. I spent a session with baz last year and knocked a few seconds off my times running in fast group.

Some good advice here for you Iain. I can also say you won't be the slowest and don't try to be the fastest, exaggerate what you feel is hanging off the bike, cos I guarantee you won't be leaning as much as you should..get some decent tyres. Chin Shen hi sides with white letters won't do..andenjoy

I have never seen tuition at open pits, or any standard trackday unless you pay extra. Just because they run a novice group doesn't mean you get tuition, you just get put in that group. The bins trackdays do give tuition for those that want it. The instructors are there for everyone, not just beginners. I spent a session with baz last year and knocked a few seconds off my times running in fast group.
Yeh preferably i would like to do a trackday with instructors first. Bins sounds the best bet at the best price. I'll see what i can sort and try get on it for 20th June.

Some good advice here for you Iain. I can also say you won't be the slowest and don't try to be the fastest, exaggerate what you feel is hanging off the bike, cos I guarantee you won't be leaning as much as you should..get some decent tyres. Chin Shen hi sides with white letters won't do..andenjoy
I feel like im leaning alot but like you say it wont be as much as you need to be. I know i would love it and would be hooked after doing the first one, its like going to a new school the first day is always the worst.

If you can ride on a road you can ride on track. Literally zero to worry about.
No police, no pedestrians, bicycles, driver pulling out, no gravel/mud etc etc.
You know the corners by the end of 3 full laps.

All you have to do is enjoy wheeling along at a good lick and keep yourself and fellow riders safe.

The person behind is responsible for overtaking you. Your responsibility is to stay on a consistent line.

To be average on track and have fun is pretty easy.

Think that will be the bit i enjoy the most, no worries at all!!. No wondering if there is a broken down tractor round a blind bend. That haunts me particularly as it happened to me a few years ago, had to go on other side of road to avoid it. Good job their was no oncoming traffic.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is novice on open pit lanes ? Because of the nature of it you could be mingling with advanced etc....

Latest posts

Back