Hilltop Remap review

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iain-s1000rr

Reaction score
The day started badly as i was planning on borrowing my buddy's van but he let me down last minute so i had to phone my mate who works for Hertz van hire and get him out of bed at 7.00am to get me a van ASAP. I rode my bike to the van hire spot and realised oh f*ck iv'e not got a ramp to load it up, luckily my mate had the flimsiest plank of wood which did the trick. I set off at 8am with a 4hr journey ahead and my slot was at 11.30 so i needed to make some time up.....which i did, anyway enough of that and on to the review of Hilltop.

"I got stabbed last Saturday by my Ex Mrs so you'll have to bare with me"
That was Geoff from Hilltops opening line to me when i met him on saturday morning at 11.30am after an eventful morning.
Immediately i thought WTF have i done.
My thoughts got worse when Geoff said have you got your slick plug with you (sh*t i forgot the plug).
Not to worry he said its not the first time someone has forgot i will just cut a staple and use that :O :O WHAT!!!!
He said yeh its fine, i lost my slick plug and im not paying ?35 for a new one so i cut a staple and use that, Apparently it does exactly the same thing. Anyway he did and sure enough the slick mode appeared on the dash :) wow fair play.

So its time to go in for the first run, just wheeling the bike in when i notice a nail in the tyre :(. He said are u coming in the dyno room with me? i said no!, he said "what you worried about then its me that should be worried" at this point im thinking this guy is NUTS!!. so were off and he's screaming the nuts out of the RR and it sounds amazing even through a sound dampened wall, he comes out and says "its not good news" i start thinking is is f*cked! he said your only running 150bhp max and 70ft/lb torque.
Apparently its had a bad remap done on the ECU before and the bike has sh*t itself and is running low power (well it felt insanely quick to me but it has been over a year since i'd sold my K7 GSXR 750).
So his answer to this was to set the bike back to factory settings which took about 40mins in this time im wandering round the workshop talking to a few customers and Geoff has got his hairdresser in getting a trim hahaha.
After the bike is back to factory its time for run 2, straight away the bike starts better and idles so much smoother.
He sets off and it sounds awesome with a nice crack and a flame everytime the bike changes up through the box, he goes flat out 3 times and comes out with a huge grin ok now your running nearer 175bhp at the rear wheel with 74ft/lb torque.
now its time to load his map on and start to tweak it, 20 mins later and him showing me some naughty pics of some young 24yr old lass he is banging and were good to go for the 3rd and final run.
He sets off and i can see him grinning all the way through which was a good sign, he comes out and says now were cooking 180.55bhp with 82.21ft/lb torque.

I had all my gear with me so i took the bike out for 30 mins or so around the roads near Mallory park, nice twisties and big straights, my thoughts were....... WOW its a completely different bike, i came back with a grin like a Cheshire cat and my legs a bit wobbly. It actually scared me when i came off a roundabout in 2nd and whacked it wide open the front end came up like i was in first and i let it off slightly to bring it down gently but it wouldn't go down i ended up doing the longest wheelie iv'e ever done and it was by pure mistake.

So all in all i am more than happy with the bike, i'm sure someone said that the RR's are 187bhp standard and i'm maxing 180 but i don't care as my bike feels like its been transformed. Plus i don't know how accurate these facts and figures are but its been worth the journey and the money IMO i would never had known there was a problem if i hadn't of gone and for that i'm grateful to Geoff for ironing it out. I have a nice smooth curve on the printout and more importantly to me a nice and smooth bike (plus its f*cking nuts in comparison with what it was).

Been out up the lake district today and just cant get enough of it, i put my slick plug in today as well because as much as he said its the same i didn't like the idea of it. He said the only modes i would need now is slick and wet and i thought that was him basically saying the other modes will run crap but thats not the case, all of the modes are a mile better in comparison with what they were before.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160410_194603_resized.jpg
    20160410_194603_resized.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 231
great write up mate , glad your happy, Geoff sounds mental!, that's a result finding out there's a problem and getting it sorted, enjoy your "new" bike bud.

That's great Iain. I thought your bike might have been used for tracks as its a non abs variant, so the map it had on before could've been for an entirely different setup to the stock hardware setup you got it with. What I'm trying to say is I am not at all surprised it was running poorly before, but delighted you are happy with it.

Just take it easy ;).

great write up mate , glad your happy, Geoff sounds mental!, that's a result finding out there's a problem and getting it sorted, enjoy your "new" bike bud.

sure was a result! i would never have noticed unless i had rode another RR to compare. It does feel like a new bike. :)

That's great Iain. I thought your bike might have been used for tracks as its a non abs variant, so the map it had on before could've been for an entirely different setup to the stock hardware setup you got it with. What I'm trying to say is I am not at all surprised it was running poorly before, but delighted you are happy with it.

Just take it easy ;).

Thats exactly what my old man said, he thought it had been a track setup. only thing being is that its got full bm service history. would it have that if it was a track setup?

i will definitely be careful buddy thanks

Thats exactly what my old man said, he thought it had been a track setup. only thing being is that its got full bm service history. would it have that if it was a track setup?

i will definitely be careful buddy thanks

Yes, BMW can still service bikes even if they are track bikes. I can recall seeing my first ever HP4 in the back of a dealers van that was collecting for service jobs, kitted out only in alphas finest track fairings.

Yes, BMW can still service bikes even if they are track bikes. I can recall seeing my first ever HP4 in the back of a dealers van that was collecting for service jobs, kitted out only in alphas finest track fairings.

Oh well guess i'll never know the truth of its past. Im just glad its running perfect now, even if it is slightly down on HP compared to others. It wasnt about power for me it was about overall performance and that i have certainly gained.

Im still Grinning now Alex just waiting for the hot sun to create some sticky tarmac.

DL84 those flames pretty sweet like :D :D

Quick question, Geoff told me that i needed an aftermarket air filter and that will be good for another 5bhp. What ones are the best out there? he did mention one but i forgot what it was. it was 3 letters and cant remember what they were, not K&N. It was something like ABR or ANR can anyone think?

Thats it!! thanks Alex. That will be the next mod. (dont tell the Mrs) i told her i was done ;)

HM Racing said not to bother at all (say OEM)...but I'd already bought the K&N...

"Sprint" are the filters the US guys like, I think a few on here have them.

General concensus of opinion(including several dyno tuners)is there are no real gains in fitting an aftermarket filter though,i have heard,Sprint filters do give a small gain.
5bhp from a filter?!.IMO it's a bit like Kawasaki's claim of 10bhp from ram-air-impossible to prove and you probably need to be doing over 150mph!

General concensus of opinion(including several dyno tuners)is there are no real gains in fitting an aftermarket filter though,i have heard,Sprint filters do give a small gain.
5bhp from a filter?!.IMO it's a bit like Kawasaki's claim of 10bhp from ram-air-impossible to prove and you probably need to be doing over 150mph!

Yeah, i take everything anyone says with a pinch of salt.

okay so a guy called Simon from power tech in blackpool has offered me a free dyno run today to compare my printout with someone that has no interest in what the outcome is. He is a member off the s1000rr page on facebook and he has offered anyone who is a follower of the page a free run to see what your bikes running. Pretty generous of him i think.

okay so a guy called Simon from power tech in blackpool has offered me a free dyno run today to compare my printout with someone that has no interest in what the outcome is. He is a member off the s1000rr page on facebook and he has offered anyone who is a follower of the page a free run to see what your bikes running. Pretty generous of him i think.

Cool. :) You're going to do it?

Latest posts

Back