Hi, just had a test ride.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geezer2005

Reaction score
Hi all.
Im on my 3rd GS Adventure, and fancy an RR.

Took one out for a couple of hours yesterday, just a few real naive questions.

Ive never had a "Supersports" style before, and took a time to get used the body positioning.
So, is the correct way to ride to have your weight leaning on the tank? Otherwise all my weight was on my wrists.

Is it normal to feel a bit of discomfort? (I know its a totally different machine to what im used too)

Absolutely loved the bike, and am thinking of getting one to keep my GSA company!!

So any tips on seating position would be welcomed. I will take it out again for longer, just to make sure I can ride for a bit longer with seeing my Physiotherapist after :)

I traded my XR for the RR last year, and although I had owned sports bikes before I was concerned that I?d be uncomfortable on the RR after enjoying the room of a sports adventure bike. Within a couple of weeks I had gotten used to the riding position of the RR and I actually find it comfortable. I would suggest using your core and legs to help keep your weight off your wrists. I?d also recommend getting rear sets fitted if you?re tall, I?m 6?3 and having the adjustability of the rear sets has allowed me to make the bile more comfortable for me.

If you?re after a sports bike I think you will struggle to find a more comfortable sports bike than the RR.

Thanks for the reply.

Im only 5' 10", so no problem there.
Must admit, the seat, was very comfortable to my surprise.

I would imagine that after a while, you would get used to it, and find a way to be more comfortable.

When I got back on my GSA, it felt really weird, was like i was sitting in an armchair!! lol

Hi Geezer, welcome to the site. There are a few on here that have RR and GSA bikes and they are indeed very different in many ways. Up to 2012 I had ridden nothing but GS's and got hooked on the RR when mine was in for a service and I got tempted in by the dealer, lol.
I've never been sore on either but at only 5'8" I fit into the sportsbike and onto the GSA, just ride the sportsbike for a few weeks and you will feel like you have ridden it for years.

Where abouts are you based, Geezer?

JimmyMac

Hi JimmyMac,

Im in Manchester. Must admit, I was only on the bike for a couple of hours, but in that time, I found it easier to ride and fit onto.

Would be interested to find some other RR owners in the area once I get one.

I got my HP4 Carbon in Manchester at Williams, Dave Foster was the dealers name, a really nice guy. If it's there you are buying from tell him Jimmy McCallum was asking after him.

JimmyMac

I get my bikes from there, I see Colin each time, I know Dave though.

Williams is my local toyshop...lol

Welcome to the forum!

A GSA and an RR is a stunning combination IMO, I?ve had a similar experience to you, but in reverse lol, as I had an extended test ride on a GS a little while ago and it took me a long time to get used to the riding position. I was riding with my chest ?inches? from the bars to begin with [emoji23]

To answer your question, as RMD says you must engage your core far more than you would on the GSA, or any upright bike for that matter.
When you get used to gripping the tank with your thighs you?ll be able to bend your elbows a fair bit and relax your grip considerably. A good rule of thumb is to aim for your forearms to be nearly parallel to the ground, you don?t need to be that extreme, but if you aim for it you won?t fall into the trap of having locked out arms. The problem with the latter is that you?re unable to effectively steer the bike.
It all comes from a good base and using your core to allow for a relaxed upper body.

All this being said, it will take some time to get accustomed to the super-sports riding position, so don?t be deterred if you?re feeling sore to begin with.
In my experience with bikes, they all cause discomfort eventually, they just cause discomfort in different places lol.

I hope you enjoy your next test ride and that an RR is keeping your GSA company very soon indeed [emoji41]

Enjoy the forum, there?s a wonderful community on here and loads of information.
Hope you have many happy miles ahead of you [emoji4]

Oli

Last edited:
Hi geezer, welcome to the forum, I owned an RR and a GSA, both have now gone and I own a GSXR1000AL7 (!). I'm 6ft tall and actually found my RR slightly more comfortable over long distance than my GSA as your weight is spread more evenly on the S1K, I used to get numb bum after a 100 miles or so on both my aircooled and LC GSA's, although apart from that they were incredible mile munchers.
I never found the std gen 3 handlebar or screen arrangement uncomfortable at any speed, however as mentioned earlier the std peg position is a bit cramped, you do get used to it but I fitted adjustable rearsets that give a bit more room - while I'm on the subject, hopefully you're not one of those riders who has their feet dangling towards the floor, you need to have your balls of your feet on the pegs, particularly on a sportsbike for both control and comfort. Overall I think you'll get on with the RR just fine, I never had any problems hopping between mine and my GSA.
Just as a side note while the latest GSXR1000 is physically smaller than the S1K it actually has a roomier riding position, the peg position being much better, so while some sportsbikes are bloody uncomfortable if you get the right one for you you'll be surprised, despite appearances, how easy they are to get on with.

Geezer.... I helped put you where you are today... one of my first gigs in 78 at Apollo Glasgow, Van Halen backed you..what a gig..cheers for the memories [emoji3]geezer01.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. With some time on the bike you'll soon acclimatise to the different body position. You've got to engage your core/legs more to get the weight off the wrists (exactly as Oli said).

Last edited:
Geezer.... I helped put you where you are today... one of my first gigs in 78 at Apollo Glasgow, Van Halen backed you..what a gig..cheers for the memories [emoji3]View attachment 3503

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Been watching the fly on the wall programme about Sabbaths last gig (Bham 2017) this morning, it was on Sky Arts last night. Absolutely brilliant.

Latest posts

Back