Help! Problems Fitting Renthal Grips!!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoops

Reaction score
Has anyone else had any issues fitting Renthal Grips?? The clutch side handlebar grip was fairly easy to come off and to fit the new Renthal Grip. However, having huge issues trying to fit the throttle side!! Even rang BMW and they said you cant remove them!!??? Is that correct? Has anyone on here fitted Renthal grips to their bikes?? Ive fitted soft Renthal grips to ALL of my old bikes as i prefer the feel over standard grips. But ive never had this sort of problem before. Any help or advice much appreciated!!

No reason you can't just cut the old grip off and slide the Renthal one on.....I still have my old grip in the garage, will have a quick look and check. :)

Jeese, that's really on there :S You could still cut it off but looks like a right nightmare!! Out of interest the clutch one looks just as bad yet your's came off ok?

The bike is now at my mates bike garage in Barnet - he has just called me to say its a total and utter nightmare!! He has managed to get the standard grip off BUT the inside plastic throttle tube has totally disintegrated as its so thin!! BMW will ONLY supply you with the whole grip and tube and they come bonded together, they dont come separately - SO i now have one Renthal grip on the clutch side but NOTHING on the throttle side!!! HELP!!! I cant believe there are no other S1000RR owners who havent changed to race grips, surely??
SO - i need to try and source a plastic throttle tube, of the right size/dimensions to fit to the bar and then the Renthal grip will slide onto it - anyone got any idea how or where i could find one ASAP!! Otherwise im going to have to buy a new set of standard grips from BMW and that will really piss me off!!!

The bike is now at my mates bike garage in Barnet - he has just called me to say its a total and utter nightmare!! He has managed to get the standard grip off BUT the inside plastic throttle tube has totally disintegrated as its so thin!! BMW will ONLY supply you with the whole grip and tube and they come bonded together, they dont come separately - SO i now have one Renthal grip on the clutch side but NOTHING on the throttle side!!! HELP!!! I cant believe there are no other S1000RR owners who havent changed to race grips, surely??
SO - i need to try and source a plastic throttle tube, of the right size/dimensions to fit to the bar and then the Renthal grip will slide onto it - anyone got any idea how or where i could find one ASAP!! Otherwise im going to have to buy a new set of standard grips from BMW and that will really piss me off!!!

The throttle tube comprises the throttle unit also so it will be bmw only job, you're welcome to my old bmw throttle grip/tube if you want to have another go at removing the grip. :)

Weird thing is BMW said that it cant be done?? But i assume they were referring to separating the outer rubber grip from the plastic inner tube?? ie. it cant be removed without damaging the whole thing.
Ive searched and searched to see if and how someone else has done this and changed the grips - as i said i cant believe im the only one wanting to do this??
Ive come across this which im thinking i may have to go with as my only other option - another bloody lump of money!!!

http://www.bmwmotorradparklaneshop.co.uk/product/APLHA_FAST_THROTTLE_ZAL3271A004A01-01

I guess its this or go back to standard grips!!??

Its out of stock - and the hits just keep on coming!!!

Wheres the best place to source these parts - or will it have to be a BMW Motorrad main dealer only?

I get a lot of parts from [email protected], very good service from them. :)

It looks like the BMW grips are bonded onto the tubes to pretty much make them a disposable part when they wear out....and more money for BMW!!

Very true - robbing buggers!!

Ive just spoken to BMW Motorrad Park Lane and a guy called Matt - he has that kit in stock and has offered me a small discount - so may well have to just go for it. I will give Tony a try now and see what he says. Thanks again Chris.

If you go on Alpha racing you get the tuba and grips with the quick action throttle kit. I think its about 100 euro's with shipping as it comes from germany.
There are two choices of throttle turn angle and grips.

heres the linkhttp://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_cvs_info&cPath=0&products_id=13533&search_in_description=1&keyword=throttle&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&

Hoops what an absolute nightmare just to change grips, so def some advantages to my R1 got Renthal grips on mine as wore out the standard ones, think the grips were like £7 and fitted for free ��
Good luck Sean

mmmmm fitted progrips to my helibars no mither , other than some fairy liquid and a lot of fucking about , i did end up cutting the old ones off mind

heres the linkhttp://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_cvs_info&cPath=0&products_id=13533&search_in_description=1&keyword=throttle&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&

Thanks fella - i ended up ordering this exact kit from BMW Park Lane - Matt gave me a pretty decent discount so to be honest ive probably paid slightly less than the price on the Alpha site and it should be with me tomorrow before 1pm. Its a total pain in the arse as all i wanted to do was change the grips themselves but ive ended up paying a lot more money for the privilege than i wanted to!! I suppose the upside is i now have a quick action throttle as well as a quick shifter!!! Talk about over egging the pudding!!

I've swapped mine for Renthal grips. Was a bit of a pain cutting the OEM grip off. The other thing I found was you needed to put a Renthal throttle grip on both the clutch side as well so I now have 2 clutch grips in a drawer in the garage :(

In the S1000rr garage there's another thread, OEM Grip Removal, with more info. In short, feelin ur pain!

Latest posts

Back