Hello From Essex!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpw0809

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Thought I'd introduce myself. My names James I'm 23 from Essex. I've just purchased my first BMW (Motorrad anyway).

Moving over from my Honda Fireblade this bike feels like it's in another league. Went and saw the beast on Tuesday and put a deposit down so hopefully picking the bike up tomorrow night. :excitement:

Its a 2012 Sport RR with the M sport colour scheme. Seems to be a lovely mint example which is Totally standard with 2k miles 1 owner.

Due it's two year service next month so will get that done. Theres a few bits I would like to add to it let me know what your thoughts are:

• BMW Alarm - Been told by Park Lane BM that its £200 for the module and £90 for coding. - Is this alarm any good? Insurance have said it makes no difference to the policy but its more for my piece of mind.. Can the alarm fob be integrated into the key like the BMW car keys for example? To save the alarm fob flapping around at high speed.

• Tail Tidy - Was thinking about getting an R&G tail tidy.... Are these one of the best on the market can anyone recommend any other brands if not?

• Indicators - I love the back end of the bike but IMO the indicators look out of place... I'd like to keep that sleek race look.. Do people recommend those tail lights with the built in indicators or do they make the bike look cheap/chavy? As for the fronts what are my options I've googled a little and seen on the S1000RR US forums people talk about the "Watsen" ones which look pretty neat not sure how visible they are though?.. Also seen these what are your thoughts? https://weridemotorsports.wordpress.com/tag/bmw/

• Exhaust - I have always been an Akrapovic fanboy - But there seems so many different models and the prices so different... Is it worth going for a full titanium system or just the end can and keep the standard headers? Will these throw up errors due it not having lambda sensors? Also there seem to be stubbys and also a full length one.. Whats the difference apart from looks?

• Lowering Seat - I'm a proper shortass only 5ft 4" so have a bit of trouble touching the ground on both sides. :redface-new: I have purchased another standard seat and I have heard there are companies that can remove the foam etc which can take a bit of height off the bike. Can anyone recommend anywhere that does this? Also I've read they do gel inner replacements instead of the foam.. Which are better?

If you are still awake at this point I'm sorry for all questions :) I'll stop talking now....

Thanks!
James

Hi James, im picking up my 2013 in Motorsport colour this Sat. Cant answer all your questions as i'm new to the S1K myself.

Like you i have some immediate mods in mind: tail-tidy, belly-pan, levers and exhaust. I managed a nice deal on an Akro with the dealer so thats going to be on it when i collect.

Ill not be bothering with the alarm as my insurance isnt impacted by it, they're more interested in making sure i disc-lock it to reduce premium; sounds a bit simple for me!?

Im not a fan of the combined rear/indicators light units - but thats just preference. I think the best mod ill be doing this weekend is getting the stomp-grips stuck on ;)

Hi Darryl,

Oh excellent sounds lovely mate my favourite colours are the Msport. I've been waiting a few months to find mine. Out of interest what is the belly-pan mod exactly?

Yeah my insurance company (MCE) was exactly the same.. Strange aye! I even asked about a tracker and they said it would only knock about £50 off so wasn't even worth the expense of the tracker install/subscription so I didn't bother..

I'm not really a built in indicator fan either as they are normally found on old chaved out Bandit 600s IMO but to be honest I just don't know what to do about the indicators at the rear... Is your Akro the full system or just end can do you know? Yeah Stomp-grips are wicked! Luckily they are already on my one. :)

Cheers
James

Welcome to the forum James, its always nice to see another Essex lad join up :eagerness:

Re Lowering, I would lower the bikes pre load before taking foam out of the seat. Being 5' 4'' are you light in weight? If so you could get the bike set up for your weight/height.

Welcome to the forum James, its always nice to see another Essex lad join up :eagerness:

Re Lowering, I would lower the bikes pre load before taking foam out of the seat. Being 5' 4'' are you light in weight? If so you could get the bike set up for your weight/height.

Thanks Phil! I'm also from Leigh too surprised I haven't seen your bike going about! :) I wish I was light for my height lol I'm around the 12st 5lbs mark so hopefully there maybe a little bit of adjustment. A few friends have said it transformed their bike after getting their bikes set up correctly for their weight. They recommended "Race Engineering" in Great Dunmow so will pay them a visit.

Hi James,

I'm 5'9" and had my seat raised, I know go figure but this chap did a brill job of reshaping the seat and adding gel inserts for £90
http://viking-motorcycle-seats.co.uk/

Cheers for the recommendation Rusty! I have seen them pop up on google a few times. I will go down the suspension setup route first and failing that I have that spare seat so can send that off to them and the Gel inserts sound like a good idea too. Especially as I've got a Europe road trip planned in June.

I think it's because I've got longer legs than arms (if you get me). So my feet are flap on the floor with my knees bent. In the car I'm I put the seat quite far back to press the pedals, but have to have the seat bolt up right to reach with my teeny tiny arms. Haha.

my feet are flap on the floor with my knees bent

DJUK - Unless you've got seriously massive feet (and according to your missus thats unlikley, haha) you should ideally be riding with the pegs on the balls of your feet to give you more feel.

Regarding the OP request for info, my thoughts are:

Alarm - I've got one factory fitted. It has a separate fob, it does not integrate into the key. It's an alarm, it works fine, depends on your preference and where you are going to leave the bike. I have one bike with and one without. I do like it on the Hp4 because the bike does attract a lot of attention when I park up. Arming it when I go off for a brew is piece of mind.

Tail tidy - D3 are great, and will probably tidy up the rear indicators somewhat to solve your other problem.

Exhaust - unless someone stands to correct me the slip on Akra is mainly cosmetic, for any real power benefit it requires the full system (for a bit more mid range grunt). If you get an Akra supplied and fitted through the dealer it will be covered in with your BMW warranty (I presume the bike is coming from a BMW dealer). I believe the stubby is the slip on, the long one is for the full system (aka the HP4).

Hope you have a great time with the new bike.

Cheeky ;-) does your gear selector and brake feel high? As in flat to the pegs? Because on my mates 600's there more at a downward angle.

Hi James. A belated welcome to the forum and S1k club.

+1 on the D3 tail tidy, it is superb.

i have Watsen's fitted to the front of mine and I fully recommend them too. Again, a top quality product, but they are expensive and there is a long wait to get them. They are a perfect match in lighting colour and are very very bright and visible.

cheers, Steve

From memory as I dont have an s1000 any more, gear side undo the bolts on the quick shifter rod be carefully as one bolt goes in the opposite direction to the other, now spin the rod and the lever will rise or fall accordingly, brake side I believe u have to undo the bolt and move it down on the star bolt then tighten it back up, I always have to do this as the original setup is always to high for me . And just like sussie settings u must get them right to enjoy the bike fully .

I know it sounds silly but u would not believe the amount of people who ride there bikes without setting up to themselves! Strange as I suppose it's like wearing a pair of shoes 5 sizes too big, u just wouldn't do it, for the 80 quid or whatever it may cost spend an afternoon getting ur settings dialled in, ur bike will live u for it

Thanks Phil! I'm also from Leigh too surprised I haven't seen your bike going about! :)
It would be unusual to see me on my bike around Leigh, I always head straight out of town to the twisties and beyond.
Your welcome to join a group ride if I organise one at sometime...

Thanks for the warm welcome and helpful advice guys! :smile-new:

I like the sound of the BMW alarm if its works well and is reliable. Unlike my experience of Datatool alarms which go off continuously when a fly lands on the bike and makes an annoying beeping noise when setting!

I will look into the D3 tail tidy.

I see the full systems now with the longer cans I like the look of them them and if it add mid range grunt even better so I'll probably get one of them one day. No I bought private actually got an amazing cash deal so I couldn't turn it down.

I will definitely get my bike setup correctly for me then if makes such a difference!

Phil - Same mate I hate all the traffic around our area I'm exactly the same! Myself and a group of 9 mates headed out to Finchingfield on Sunday some lovely roads around up that way.

Next time there is a group ride out I will definitely come along! :)

Cheers
James

Latest posts

Back