Hello all

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjlazeruk

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm joining as I am seriously thinking of getting an s1000rr as my next bike before I'm too old/tired/creaky to fit on a sportsbike and miss the boat. I need a bike that can tour and ride every day and so really this seems the best bike in the category for the job, but can still absolutely rip up a track and be a complete blast when I want to. I ride a street triple at the moment and it's been great but the time has come for a change so I'm keen to find out more from the community and see if this going to work out or if I should be looking at the other s1000 models or something more adventure based (no!). I have no desire for offroading so a tall upright bike seems like a waste of time, sports is so much better looking too!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Welcome - the RR is undoubtedly one of the best road bikes ever. Most dealers will let you have a couple of hours on one to get full acquainted. That's enough time to cover a serious mix of roads and traffic. So I recommend that you do that.

The Street T is a great bike, the RR will be more cumbersome at lower speed and you've gotta use your core more to keep the weight off your wrists...but with a Ventura Luggage kit or Hepco and Becker luggage plate (rear seat replacement) I think it's actually able to go further, faster with more gear for touring.

If you're looking at brand new then I think the GSXR and Blade offer the best road bike alternatives in the Hypersport market.

Welcome to the forum!

I?d echo what Alex has said, BMW dealers in my experience are particularly amenable to test rides, and the RR is in my opinion a supremely well judged bike.
I?ve used mine for commuting, weekend fun and a handful of track days. In all scenarios it never fails to excite and impress in equal measure!

Street Triples are excellent bikes, I had a Daytona before my S1K and the 675 engines are fantastic!
There is a considerable adjustment period though going from a bike with bars to a sports-bike, but the RR ergos aren?t too extreme and the character of the bike is very accessible.

The Hepco & Becker sport rack in conjunction with a Wunderlich tank bag would get my vote for luggage/practically.

Enjoy the forum, there?s a wonderful community on here and loads of information.
Best of luck with your next bike purchase, though I?m sure you?ll get all the reassurance you need that an S1K is the bike for you [emoji16]

Oli

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm joining as I am seriously thinking of getting an s1000rr as my next bike before I'm too old/tired/creaky to fit on a sportsbike and miss the boat. I need a bike that can tour and ride every day and so really this seems the best bike in the category for the job, but can still absolutely rip up a track and be a complete blast when I want to. I ride a street triple at the moment and it's been great but the time has come for a change so I'm keen to find out more from the community and see if this going to work out or if I should be looking at the other s1000 models or something more adventure based (no!). I have no desire for offroading so a tall upright bike seems like a waste of time, sports is so much better looking too!

Welcome to the forum, as an ex GSA rider I wouldn't dismiss adventure bikes unless you've ridden a couple (GSA and KTM SA I suggest) as they are a lot of fun as well as practical. On the sports bike front I've ridden pretty much all of them apart from the latest blade, the S1000RR and GSXR1000R will meet your needs, both comfortable at all speeds, Gixxer has more leg room but S1K has heated grips and cruise, both ridiculously fast, Gixxer has more bottom end but probably a bit less top end and both have enough handling and braking for most mortals, Suzukis brakes maybe not quite as immediate as the RR's. Suggest you get out on a few test rides although as a lot of demo bikes have been sold off for the off season so you may struggle this side of Xmas.

Last edited:
Thanks for all.the replies, really appreciate your views. A test ride is needed, I'm hoping if I take my two small girls out this Saturday it'll buy me enough credits for a test ride or two if the weather is dry and warm enough! I'm really keen to take out both the RR and XR but the RR feels a better fit for me. I ride my street everywhere in all weathers so I'm familiar with impracticality :) a super adventure is surely more versatile but where's the fun in that, heated grips, dynamic suspension a screen...wow an RR sounds like luxury to me!

I agree with the recommendations to test ride as much as possible. All modern sports bike are amazingly fast and the electronics help you feel in control! The only reason I chose the S1kRR was because it immediately felt more refined than the others in TC, wheelie control and ABS. All the other makes are equally as fast except the blade which my old K4 gixer 1000 felt as good. I immediately felt at home on it. The S1kr is as good a road bike but not the riding position for me at the moment. But like I say all the bikes will be faster and better handling than most of us can handle so it styles and feel. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi TJ, hope you're racking up the browny points this weekend. The RR is an awesome bike and will tick every box I'm sure. I'm a bit creaky and it still makes me feel 18 when I'm out playing.

Welcome to the site, great community on here.

JimmyMac

Ha, yes indeed working hard on this today. Have to say it's getting pretty chilly out there now, but hopefully that makes the dealers keener to do business!

Yep chilly today, had a pathetic smattering of snow here this morning, then 2 hours stood on the touchline watching my eldest lad's team play football at 2degC - a nice headed goal from a corner from the boy and a good team win made it worthwhile - a bit like test riding some bikes you don't have to clean afterwards!! Hopefully you've got something lined up for tomorrow - remember Beemers have heated grips :)

Back