Headlight Lens Meltdown!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRH72

Reaction score
Anyone have a spare headlight lens for 2018 s1000rr? My sons wonderful advice regarding string bulbs has melted the lens! ?. Thanks all. Did think they were a bit bright! ?

Aha. I put some LED?s in mine. Might have to reconsider that option.

I don?t seem to be able to post the picture. The lens has gone white (7cm diameter) immediately in front of the bulb (Phillips). I?ve not popped the old Osram in but a bit worried about it getting worse.
How do I post a picture?
299278f4-793f-4f33-9519-20b0b49ee155

You would need to upgrade to a premium member. I?d say it?s well worth the ??s

Quid a month, post as many pics as you like !

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Just no nudes....Stuart...please...just...stop...

:D

Ref the lights.
1) Halogen must be a max of 55w. Some of the fancy new 55w bulbs with their 130/150% extra brightness can be pure heat on some models. The RR lenses are plastic and basically the extra heat intensity causes the discolouring. If you run light covers its worse because the wind doesn't get to cool the lens cover.

2) 35w HID's don't actually run hotter than 55w halogen bulbs. Whilst they create light through an electrical arc they don't actually radiate the same. Typically they run 50-75degC less.

OP - if you need help on eBay then use the search: s1000 rr (2015,2016,2017,2018) headlight I can see a number of items that would work avoid all the Chinese copies - they are shite, I know I tried.

Last edited:
My headlamp melted while using the original bulbs! I?d been running the engine in my garage for 10 minutes or so when I noticed what I thought was condensation in the centre of the large headlamp lens.
Running my finger over this ?condensation? showed that the lens had crazed and bubbled up!
Luckily my dealer changed the complete lamp without quibble under warranty.
When I run the engine now for more than a few minutes I drape a wet cloth over the lens.....just in case.

Latest posts

Back