Fatalities

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_maz

Reaction score
Get the last few weeks during the "racing season", there has been a few fatalities.

These guys enter the sport knowing the dangers and the re-precaution's of taking part in the sport. I'm not for one minute saying what happens is part and parcel and life goes on.
Do any of you boys take a step back and think to yourself's; should I hang the leathers up and take a different route to enjoying a hobby?

'I'm currently camping up in North west territory and whilst having watched the TT and having been yards away from the crash site of young Mitchell lad, a took a few second to reflect and think of it.

People die in all sports, over 400 people have died in 12 years "ish" doing something I have
enjoyed doing. Nothing has stopped that. I still continue to take part in it also.

What's you're thoughts?

Racing and normal road riding are very different animals. When Ayrton Senna died I never thought about giving up driving and taking the bus to work. When JFK was shot, I never thought about not driving convertibles. When the Queen Mother choked on a fish bone, I never thought about giving up eating fish. When King George VI died in his sleep, I never thought about giving up going to bed.

I've known a few people who did on bikes.. But people die crossing the road on their way to tescos, you never know when it'll happen so you might as well enjoy as much of life as you can :)

I was 17 when I carried my friends coffin maz. He was pillion on an RD200 driven by my best pal.

In the last couple of weeks my mate Rab was VERY lucky when he had an off and another guy I know was out with a mate of mine and ended up in intensive care last week.

Its a bit of a dark subject with most of the guys reading this but likely not replying. Personally I dont think too much on it. Ive said before on here, its a high risk hobby, more so if your a fast rider.

Put it to the back of your mind mate....

I have been to many motorcycle casualties in my fire fighter day's and not once did I think about giving up.

Lets face it... what hobby gives you the same buzz... theres nothing to match it when your on song flicking it in and out of corners and the howl off that 4:1 as you nip up through the box..... enjoy your skills..you have to be a far better bike rider than you do a car driver...

Sold or what !

Last edited:
I like to live life to fullest same as everyone on this site , we will all die eventually let's live !

A friend of mine, Daz, got killed on his bike in 2012 near fort William. It was his birthday. I wasn't there but the rest of the lads packed up riding after that, obviously I didn't. I am seriously considering making the hp4 track only from next year. I'm not worried about me, and I know this is a cliche, it's other road users.

I have noticed more recently that the number of elderly drivers who haven't got a clue what's going on seems to be rising, and near misses are getting more frequent. Only this week there was the story of the 80 year old who ran down 8 schoolgirls in Liverpool because she got confused by the pedals, and there are lots of other incidents that don't get reported in the media. I had 3 near misses last week, one in the car yesterday, all with elderly drivers. It does worry me there is little or no policing of competency of physical ability in later years.

Last edited:
I like to live life to fullest same as everyone on this site , we will all die eventually let's live !

Well put Sissy.

I watched Paul Shoesmith yesterday racing in the morning, having a ball, enjoying life.
Sadly dead in the evening, but doing what he enjoyed, living it to the end.

There is only one "today". The only certainty in life is death, so don't dwell on it.

Ride safe, ride within your limits and FFS enjoy life, it's not forever.

JimmyMac

I think the question is when do you lose more than you gain. Leaving behind 4 children, in the pursuit of some self perceived form of glory...was that worth it? (No offence, playing devils advocate). We all have to exit stage left sometime. Its what we leave behind which matters.

On the road riding, sensibly, when sufficiently trained, should push the risk towards the dumb luck end of the scale...and there's not much that can be done about that in most walks of life.

Well put Sissy.

I watched Paul Shoesmith yesterday racing in the morning, having a ball, enjoying life.
Sadly dead in the evening, but doing what he enjoyed, living it to the end.

There is only one "today". The only certainty in life is death, so don't dwell on it.

Ride safe, ride within your limits and FFS enjoy life, it's not forever.

JimmyMac

Didn't know Shoey had been killed until I read this, he use to run the Speedfreaks trackdays with Jamie Whitham years ago... Lifes all about balance, I was travelling continually through airports and on the Paris metro for a number of years until recently, I felt a lot more wary for my safety then than I ever have on my bike.

Last edited:
Aye, just when people that don't ride see and hear about the deaths they always ask why. A suppose until you ride then you won't understands. Everyone gives it "a cldnt ride a bike, a would kill myself". But as people say, ride to your ability and watch out.

It all about choices that we make, if people didn't push themselves mankind would never progress that's what make us different to all the other animals on the planet. Just unfortunately that drive can have bad consequences. I have only had the S1000RR for three months but I am thinking of getting rid for me it's just to much for the road. To use anywhere near the power you have to being dangerous speeds on the road and I never do track days so I'm thinking of the new R1200R with the full electronics which will probable suit me more. It's the best machine I have ever owned and it amazes me every time I ride it but it's just to focused..

It all about choices that we make, if people didn't push themselves mankind would never progress that's what make us different to all the other animals on the planet. Just unfortunately that drive can have bad consequences. I have only had the S1000RR for three months but I am thinking of getting rid for me it's just to much for the road. To use anywhere near the power you have to being dangerous speeds on the road and I never do track days so I'm thinking of the new R1200R with the full electronics which will probable suit me more. It's the best machine I have ever owned and it amazes me every time I ride it but it's just to focused..

Do what you feel your most comfortable with mate... good statement

Do any of you boys take a step back and think to yourself's; should I hang the leathers up and take a different route to enjoying a hobby?
Nope.

I gave up riding when I was 17 because a mate got killed on his RD250. I started riding again at 28, since then I have been trained (a lot) and have trained others for just over 20 years, my training will not stop another road user making a mistake and causing my death, my training might help me not make the Mistake that causes my own Death.

Im not sure that I will ever want to stop riding, as long as I am able to ride at a good standard then I wont hang up my leathers.

Nope.

I gave up riding when I was 17 because a mate got killed on his RD250. I started riding again at 28, since then I have been trained (a lot) and have trained others for just over 20 years, my training will not stop another road user making a mistake and causing my death, my training might help me not make the Mistake that causes my own Death.

Im not sure that I will ever want to stop riding, as long as I am able to ride at a good standard then I wont hang up my leathers.
Well said!

Latest posts

Back