Engine management light?....

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadkins14

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any advice as to what this could have been?...

The bike started first time fine like it always has done. I rode 10 minutes to meet a mate at his garage, all fine, no warning lights or anything.
After having the bike switched off for 5 or so minutes I went to start it again and the engine light came on and the bike wasn't revving atal and was idling very weird. I turned it off and left it a few minutes, turned the ignition on and played around with the heated grips, mode settings, etc... too see if anything was stuck on but all were fine.
I then tried to start it up again and it did the same, engine light was on and wasn't revving.

Just before going out I fitted my new seat cowl, so I removed that and made sure I hadn't unplugged any of the plugs/cables in the tail section. All was fine, so I tried to start the bike again and it started fine, no engine light an was idling fine again.
But I never re-fitted the seat cowl so I had to turn the bike off, take the key out and put the cowl back on! After trying to start it again the engine light had come back on and wasn't revving.

So I left it for 10 minutes, tried it again and all was fine?
Had a quick 30-60 minute ride before heading home.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hello.i also posted a engine management light issue :( a couple of weeks ago.luckly enough I've got mine sorted now.mine done the same as yours wouldn't rev.according to manual engine goes into limp mode.i took mine to my local stealership to be plugged in and problem was injector valve 2 error.turned out to be a not properly seated pcv injector connection.whether this had vibrated loose or state of the road condition?my dealer only charged me Half hr labour to fix my problem with EML unless you no someone with a gs911.hope you get it sorted .post the problem fix I never got no feedback on this post.

Thanks for the reply,

After yours had gone into limp mode did it ever go back to running fine before you took it to the dealers to be plugged in?

mines due a service by August so I might get it in early to be checked over, aswell as the warranty running out at the end of this month and them wanting another ?385 for the year!!
i wouldn't normally buy extended warranty on anything but I feel like I really should with the S1K!

My bike went into limp mode and stayed there.was a pig to start wouldn't rev past 3000rpm until it warmed slightly the wouldn't rev much over 7000rpm.ran like shite.if ur still under warranty I would take it in.i also took out a exstended warranty but with warranty direct they do it for ?260 dealer warranty or ?200 independent garage.hope you get your sorted out its a pain havin to keep looking down at the engine management light very of putting.

That's the thing, mine wouldn't rev ATAL! no throttle response ATAL.

But the light did go out and the bike then ran fine.
Ive not had a chance to look at it today so will do tomorrow and will see if it does it again when I start it.

I never knew I could get warranty elsewhere, so I'll have a shop around before the end of the month.

Non manufacturer warranties and extended warranties generally are not worth the paper they're written on, just my experience.

Non manufacturer warranties and extended warranties generally are not worth the paper they're written on, just my experience.

Why would you say that? What experiences have you had if you don't mind me asking?
My warranty is due end of the month and this is what I've been offered..

BMW -
?0 excess / ?386 annually / 12 x ?36

WARRANTY DIRECT -
?0 excess / ?195 annually / 4 x ?48.75
?4000 claim limit a year but a ?2000 limit at one time.

Looking at them it's a no brainer in choosing warranty direct.

Why would you say that? What experiences have you had if you don't mind me asking?

BMW -

WARRANTY DIRECT -

You will get a lot of opinions on this one, just look on pistonheads as a starter. Sadly I agree with maplesyrup on this one.

My 2p worth. I have had a number of merc cars. When one of them ran out of manufacturer warranty (SL55) I tried WD. When it came to making a claim for a failed electronic component (about ?250 I think it was) they were great at not paying up. The policy was about ?800, half that of the Merc offer. The dealership had warned me. I duly cancelled the policy and went back to MB.

From my experience of owning cars, and bikes, manufacturer warranty will cover you for almost everything that could go wrong, apart from consumable items. It also buys you considerable goodwill with the manufacturer should anything happen where they point at the small print.

Just as a footnote, my dealer, AJ in Shipley, offered me a third party extended warranty which was on a like for like with the BMW policy, about 30% less of the BMW price. I did take them up on the offer and it did pay out (on my other bike) but I knew at the time I could go back to the dealer on their 'recommendation' if I had any problems so on that occasion I was ok with the third party route, but generally, no.

EDIT: and the other thing to consider is that the BMW policy will mean you get BMW parts, labour and 2 year warranty on anything that gets fixed, on the WD you wont.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input^^^

I've agreed with WD that if anything happens, the bike is to go to a BMW dealer and all work be done by them, so surely that'll mean BMW parts and the guarantee the parts will come with too, no?
Just can't see how BMW can justify twice the price of WD, maybe if it was for 2/3 years. That price will be more than some people pay for insurance!

If it was my old previous GSXR or some of my previous cars I wouldn't even bother with extending the warranty. But with the amount of things I read can and do go wrong with the S1000, I feel like it'll be worth having for piece of mind. But not for ?400!?

BMW -

WARRANTY DIRECT -

I won't go into great detail but will just say I paid for an extended warranty on a car at a main dealer some years ago naively thinking the cover would be the same as the manufacturers and it wasn't, I ended up with a bill equal to half the value of the car due to something as simple as a factory fitted coolant hose splitting.

I had to throw a lot of money at that one to make it go away, bikes and cars are no different in this respect.

Even manufacturers extended warranties are generally of the "diminishing" type, worth checking ;)

Latest posts

Back