Cruise control won?t activate and battery appears flat

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightning_bob

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Haven?t ridden the bike for couple months, certainly a few weeks at least.
got the bike out yesterday and it started ok, but when riding found that the cruise control wouldn?t engage. Quckshift works fine so ruled out the contacts on the clutch lever.

Whilst in town the bike stalled and when trying to restart turned over slow. Left ignition off for few minutes and managed to get it started. Cruise control activated now and again on way home but not at each call to engage.

I don?t have a battery conditioner and need to get one but is it normal that cruise won?t activate if battery low and is the alternator regulator a likely issue here, are they coming fault item.

Worth getting a new battery if yours is older than a couple of years. In the cold an old tired battery can struggle. When voltage drops you can get spurious electrical faults. A while back (with an old battery) my bike would cut out when the heated grips were switched on. New battery cured the problem.

Before you rush off and buy another bike battery, try one of these. I have one of these in my arsenal to repair batteries which have run completely flat which an Optimate 3 (which I also have) can't repair.

Search fleabay for "12V Battery Pulse Charger", this is the item I have, search fleabay for item number 144338366192. They're ?13.55 inc delivery. Connect to the battery, press "Repair" and leave it for 24 hours and then put on your Optimate charger to clean it up internally. I have saved several car and bike batteries with this device when I thought they were completely dead. If it fails this repair, then change it.

Going forwards. Put your bike battery on an Optimate charger overnight once per week in the winter when the temperature drops as they 'leak' charge into the atmosphere. My bike batteries across 4 bikes are over 5 years old and still very strong. I just have one Optimate 3 charger and rotate it around the bikes every night.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back