Electrical issue? 2012 S1000RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniMee

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have any idea as to the cause of the following:

Riding back from Wales yesterday and stopped to fuel up, within a few mins of leaving the fuel station my low fuel light came on, but went off again, hour later the rev limiter light came on and off and then I noticed the needle on the rev counter was going crazy, then the lights went out, then all went back to normal for the last 30 mins back home.

On returning home I disconnected the battery but have not reconnected it yet

The bike is a 2012 S1000rr which I love, but this worries me

Thanks in advance for any comments

Sorry to hear about your issue bud. sorry i can't help but i'm sure someone on here will manage to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be a number of things but often it can be loose battery terminals.

Worst case it could be part of the loom has worn, but best rule out the simple things first.

Thanks guy's, I am away from home till Thursday so will reconnect the battery, check terminals etc on my return and fingers crossed it was just a one off. Crazy thing is I also have a BMW car that has major electrical faults at present hmmm

Had the loose batt terminals on my '15, wouldn't start, dash all over the place, tightened terminals and all sorted. Hope yrs is that simple lol

Thanks guy's, I am away from home till Thursday so will reconnect the battery, check terminals etc on my return and fingers crossed it was just a one off. Crazy thing is I also have a BMW car that has major electrical faults at present hmmm

Never had any electrical problems with any BMW cars I've owned but my mates 330d had constant electrical gremlins, hope you get bike & car sorted soon

Mice in the garage? Unlikely, but I have seen the destructive power of the wee buggers before.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
Well, sadly it's not a battery terminal. Went for a spin yesterday and everything electrical seems to be gong on and off, lights, dash etc even had low fuel warning come on with 0 miles left, then it all goes back to normal again and repeats it self every 15/20 mins but the engine still runs perfectly.

So, any ideas on what to check next before having to take it in to BMW?

Thanks in advance

It should have logged some fault codes. If anyone with a GS-911 near you can read them then that might help.

mine did weird stuff - turned out to be a chaffed wire under the tank between airbox and frame. common problem apparently, BMW fixed it for me about ?140 while it was in for service.
the bike has 3 ecus one for the engine one for the ABS and everything else goes through the clocks. mine was either the live or ground as when I plugged in GS911 it wouldn't see the ECU as it had no power.

Thanks for the feedback.

Now, is there anyone near Cheshire with a GS911 as that does seem to be the next step forward :)

Latest posts

Back