Dropped valve

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Podzeether

Reaction score
So I?m enjoying my newly acquired 2011 s1000rr when???8 days into ownership it dropped an inlet valve on my commute to work.Engine is basically fit for the skip and it looks like I will need a complete replacement engine.
So if anyone could help with a couple of things:

Anyone knows the best place to get a replacement engine? Know of any decent bike breakers?

And secondly anyone else heard of S1000rr dropping valves? I have had a good search round on the net and have only found a couple of other incidents worldwide. Considering the number of them that must have been sold it would seem to be a rare failure. Just interested in potential causes so I can avoid it next time round.

Also any good news/story`s of fantastic reliability gratefully received so I can convince myself I haven?t just made a massive mistake buying my first non Japanese bike??

Thanks
Tim

sorry to hear about your bad luck! as mentioned if it's fully serviced etc there might be a chance of a fix, what was the millage on the bike?
just for the record jap bikes come with a host of problems to ! my r1 gave up its bottom end after 6000miles! and a mates blade ate its engine and box just outside of warranty, I think a every bike has a chance of failure weather it be jap, or European

Servicing is all up to date and all by the same BMW main dealer. It is due the next one in October.

As I bought the bike privately from the original owner the dealer that carried out the servicing for him just isn?t interested. They kept implying that I must have done something to it.

The local one to me isn?t interested either.They wouldn?t even agree to look at it until mid September!! They just told me that they have never heard of an S1000 with a dropped valve.

Going to put all the info together and send it off to BMW UK, but from the initial response from the dealers it looks like I?m going to have to sort it myself.

The bike had done around 7740 miles.

From the online searches that i have done i am getting the impression that i have just been massively unlucky.

2011 bikes didn't have the alleged issues of the 2010 bikes with the lighter cams.
I have heard of it before , it might be worth some trawling on the american forum for some more information

You would have probably seen my name floating around when you searched mate, it happened to me, out of warranty too. BMW weren't bothered. I managed to get a 2000 mile engine for ?1250 after giving him mine in exchange.

Hi chrissig32,
Thanks for the link and im sure its a good engine, but at that price its about half what i paid for the whole bike. If i have to pay that for a replacement engine i will probably just break the bike and get something else. Thanks anyway.

N30,
I know what you mean, as im the 2nd owner (Just) and the bike is out of warranty BMW uk just aren`t intested.

Did you get your engine trade or private ? If trade who from and did it come with any kind of warranty?

I have looked around online and there are a few places that claim they can get me a complete engine for about 2k. I`m going to start the search for another one at the beginning of next month (After pay day !) There just dont seem to be many of them about.
Thanks for all the help
Tim

mine was private. Ring this bloke, he buys written off bikes just for the engines, he's the same bloke I got mine from. 07875697507

Latest posts

Back