Disk locks?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyingscotsman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
....does anyone use these? I've never used one before, but given how easy it seems to be to break BMW steering locks & the resulting frame damage I'm considering getting one & not using the steering lock.

What do people think. Are they worth using ? Obviously not as primary security, but as a detterant when out & about.

I got an alarmed disc lock on the bike. 1 of XXX security systems on the bike

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your insurance .. a lot insist on having the steering lock activated as a minimum. I use the steering lock and a front disk lock. Still trying to find a disk lock that fits the rear. I have an 85 quid abus mushroom lock that doesn't fit ��if anyone wants to buy it off me so it doesn't fit your bike instead?

Check your insurance .. a lot insist on having the steering lock activated as a minimum. I use the steering lock and a front disk lock.

Ill be asking bemoto on Tuesday :). It seems reasonable but not something I'd ever considered, bit of an issue with a front fork sensor fitted :(.

This is the section that i think the requirement falls under:

Motorcycle Security
You are not covered under Section 2 of Your Policy Document for any loss or damage caused by theft orattempted theft unless:
- Your Motorcycle is fitted with an approved security device; and
- The security device is operational at the time of any loss or damage to Your Motorcycle.

Im sure the bemoto guys told me that the steering lock is that very thing.

Probably wise to do as you say and get them to confirm. Maybe get it written down too.

Thanks all. Think I will get an alarmed disk lock.

Interesting point FreudianSlip, you may be right, however it seems a bit daft given that the steering locks seem very easy to break & resulting frame damage could potentially mean write off for the insurance.

I have heard good reviews about the Xena alarmed disk locks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind hearing some feedback from members on their recommendations for disc locks as I could do with a more sophisticated one than currently being used.

My Monster Oxford stopped some thieves. They found the disc itself easier to go at.

- Sent from Mobile

I've previously used a Xena alarmed Disc lock and had no issue what so ever - until it fell off my rs125 ( the storage bag was attached to part of the pillion footpeg and snapped it clean off down the motorway :nightmare:)

I never use the steering lock.....way too easy to write off the frame if it's broken....much prefer disk lock ....I've just switched from a Xena to Abus:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/19002-Bloq...nit+Detecto+X-Plus+8077+Disc+Lock+ORG+13/48mm
The Xena is smaller/lighter etc but i noticed a few posts on how easy they are to break so switched to the Abus...much more secure...also the Xena alarm goes off all the time for no apparent reason??!

Check your insurance .. a lot insist on having the steering lock activated as a minimum.

I have checked my policies with bemoto. I have 3 bikes insured with them. Their correspondence back to me about the steering lock question states that on my policies the only requirement is that the alarm on the HP4 is active. No steering lock requirement on any of the bikes. Phew :).

I have checked my policies with bemoto. I have 3 bikes insured with them. Their correspondence back to me about the steering lock question states that on my policies the only requirement is that the alarm on the HP4 is active. No steering lock requirement on any of the bikes. Phew :).

That is good news. I wonder if mine is the same (with bemoto).. The other policies i've held explicitly stated steering locks.. if i find the energy i'll see if i can dig one out just to prove i'm insaneeeeeeOOoooooWeeee..

i use oxford disc lock and always lock my steering. to be honest my bikes never really left anywhere apart from my garage at my house which is on my house alarmed and a car in front lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Roadlok disc lock. What I like is that it is permanently attached to the bike and all I have to do is carry the locking key.

Ahh you got one, could do with a review if you don't mind?

- Sent from Mobile

It is always in your interest to use the supplied steering lock if possible (I.e. No front 2D potentiometer installed) as the saying "every little helps" applies in this respect.

I use a basic Oxford disc lock in addition, however I'm not a fan of Oxford products and would recommend them, instead I would suggest looking at a "RoadLock" as these bolt directly to your calliper and seem to be the best disk lock available.

I am currently considering whether to install the 2D front sensor, in conjunction with a full MCT suspension set up and a RoadLock for my 15 RR, as this is certainly the way I'd go if I were buying a bike from new again

Back