Diagnostic Tool available anyone?????

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EP46

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this site so this will be my first post of many!

Does anyone know where you can get a Diagnostic tool to modify the service dates etc on the bike? I have seen the GS-911 but they are not cheap!

I do all my own servicing so I don't intend to be paying a BMW garage just to re-set the clocks (if I can get round it)

Sorry if this post as already been up.

Cheers,

Phil

You will need the 911 unit to do diagnostics and reset the service interval. I do pay the dealer for servicing because I'm not great at mechanics and my bikes are either under warranty or looked after long term by the dealer. The bmw service history helps a lot in getting goodwill contributions from bmw uk should anything go wrong. It also helps with residuals when selling. Over a given period I don't think there is that much difference between DIY and bmw when you take into account buying the 911 unit, time and effort DIY, residual values.... And the cost of fixing issues that bmw would have made contributions to.

the other option would be to find a local Indy to do the service resets for you.....

i think Ross does his own servicing.... Ross?...

Thanks for that. Some good points there. I've always done my own servicing so I don't really want to pay someone for a job I can do. But like you say, there is always the goodwill contributions and warranty etc to consider. I doubt I will be buying the 911 anyway as it is just too expensive for what I need it for. Does anyone close by use a 911 after doing their own servicing? I wonder if the BMW garage would reset the service interval after I had done the work.........

Just my 2cents worth, my bike was out of warrenty and needed a new engine, it had full dealer history and bmw stumped up the new engine. Would I have got it without dealer history? Doubt it.....

Just my 2cents worth, my bike was out of warrenty and needed a new engine, it had full dealer history and bmw stumped up the new engine. Would I have got it without dealer history? Doubt it.....

New engine!!?? That isn't filing me full of confidence with my new trusty bike

I brought a GS 911 second hand for ?170 and I expect to get most of that back when I sell it, so the GS911 will not cost you the full amount in the long term. The servicing is pretty simple until 15000 ish.

Shit happens, it didn't go bang just a strange noise. I would still buy a new one tomorrow if I was in the market for one, ive enjoyed every bit of the 4 years ive had it....

I have had about ?5k + worth of goodwill ex warranty on my other bmw (not an sthou), so I'm 'up' I terms of paying the additional cost of dealer servicing to get that benefit over 5 years. I've been told 'that's it' from bmw on that bike so, ironically, I should really DIY it from now on, but it's been a good run and I'm happy with the service so I'll probably just carry on paying. Bananaman's post says it all.

Worth bearing in mind is the dealership as well. If your local has good customer service, then paying the service costs is better value if you need 'help' with goodwill from bmw uk. Not all bmw dealers are good. Last year I met a guy from your neck of the woods having his GS serviced at Alan Jeffries. Hardly local, just sayin'.

I do most myself but don't have a 911, the BMW dealer will actually reset the service counter for ?10 (that's what mine charges) or any half decent car garage that deals with BMW's can also do it (same machine). Last 2 time's I've paid BMW to wipe it, but now I don't care to much, just ignore it.

Although Bike is up to Geoff @hilltop on 15th so i'll get him to turn it off completely.

A 911 just to wipe service date isn't value for money, ?10 a year for BMW to do it, you do the math. Although it would be nice to see and clear fault codes, they really aren't that important, any fault code of importance is displayed on dash. Most of us would have half dozen I'd imagine if we plugged into a 911. Servo fault codes, Lean angle fault code is common if you get bike past 45 degrees.

I brought a GS 911 second hand for ?170 and I expect to get most of that back when I sell it, so the GS911 will not cost you the full amount in the long term. The servicing is pretty simple until 15000 ish.

Did you get it from ebay? I've been looking but no luck so far

Thanks for all the info everyone. Much appreciated.
If I can't get the 911 for a cheap price then I will have to see the local dealer and hope he will accept the ?10 to change the service date when it's due.
Or there might be someone in the NE that has the 911.

Did you get it from ebay? I've been looking but no luck so far

Yes ebay, if you wait long enough one will come up. Just be aware of the licencing, the standard model has 10 licences in it, so you can only use it on 10 different bikes before you have to buy more, i.e. make sure the second hand one you buy has unused licences on it.

Latest posts

Back