Dead Battery?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, has anyone had the following prob before.......

Not started my bike for approx 3 weeks and so yesterday it was completely dead, no ignition at all. Battery was flat so hooked it up to charge but alarm went off for some reason. When battery was charged ignition lights all on but the yellow warning triangle is on with Engine in the display. Not able to do anything other than turn the heated grips on/off. Bike is only 4 months old, dealer is picking it up Friday but thought would ask for bit of advice from you guys.

Steve Butch

Check your battery is fully (and I mean fully) charged as if it isn't then its not unheard of to have the kind of problem you describe with a slightly flat battery

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, has anyone had the following prob before.......

Not started my bike for approx 3 weeks and so yesterday it was completely dead, no ignition at all. Battery was flat so hooked it up to charge but alarm went off for some reason. When battery was charged ignition lights all on but the yellow warning triangle is on with Engine in the display. Not able to do anything other than turn the heated grips on/off. Bike is only 4 months old, dealer is picking it up Friday but thought would ask for bit of advice from you guys.

Steve Butch

Could be the battery is dead and not really holding a charge. The canbus is very sensitive and will not allow the bike to attempt to start if there is insufficient voltage.

The battery shouldn't be completely dead in 3 weeks unless it is faulty or something is draining it. So my money is on a dodgy battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your battery is fully (and I mean fully) charged as if it isn't then its not unheard of to have the kind of problem you describe with a slightly flat battery

+1 best to remove battery and charge for a few hours with a charger @ 2-3 Amps to fully charge.

A trickle charger or optimate may take a very long time to charge from completely flat

Last edited:
Agree with all above, battery sounds fooked. It's best to keep the bike plugged into a optimiser or other make of battery conditioner when not in use. They are so good nowadays they will condition the battery and prevent scaling to the internal plates whilst keeping them fully charged, you cannot cook or overcharge a battery with an Optimate.
My GSA is still on its original battery which is now 8 years old and is in perfect nick.

I would be wanting the dealer to replace this battery and check there is no current draw when the bike is totally switched off and the CanBus is sleeping.

Good luck Steve, keep us posted on result.

JimmyMac

Had an issue with my battery... called out BMW and tested to be an issue... replaced under warranty.

Back