dashboard kombi meter problems

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike g

Reaction score
Here goes then;

just got back from a week in Spain and France, bike is due for 18000 mile service next week, but has been showing service light as this is overdue.

everything going fine (had been raining) notice service reminder is flashing up whilst going along and then clocks come back on, then notice headlight is flashing all by itself, it also turns out no other lights / indicators etc are working. this goes on for an hour or so then dash goes off completely, but bike is running fine and horn works. stopped and a quick look under seat but nothing obvious, decide to press on to hotel, check all fuses swop relays (under seat) check meter connections, notice parking light is on, disconnect battery, resets it all. still only horn and engine, decide it might be left switch gear. next day couple of hundred miles, the same (nothing). come home Saturday, starts raining around Reims, flash flash on comes dash (side lights and dip have blown) switch on main, all fine head back to Calais. dash does play up a couple of times but seems ok until halfway up m20 off it goes again, not to return.

got home (parking light came on when turned ign off) changed bulbs substituted left switch for mates (good apart from horn) no dice, check wiring again, resort to GS911, seems neither ABS or ECU are getting signal from dash.
dash ECU not showing on system, seems to think it's not powered up.

going to take dash out and have a look, also right switch just in case, also tail fairing to check other relays. If that doesn't sort it, it's booked into Coopers on the 5th.

Any ideas or sympathy gratefully received

well none of that seems to have worked. can't find 12 volts on either of the meter plugs, so I assume it's that. anyone know which pin should be live?

well it's been to coopers and they have found and fixed the problem, turns out the loom had chaffed between the engine and the airbox due to vibration. due to pick it up from service tomorrow so will see if I can find out a bit more detail (and what the bill is!) Meanwhile they've given me an F800 GS to be going on with, given the weather not a bad choice and her indoors likes the pillion provision.
so be warned - STILL not been able to get hold of wiring diagram, rocking horse poo comes to mind!

Didn't ever see this thread - would have guessed at switch gear failure...not loom chaffing. Glad you've found the fault.
What year is yours?

2010; yep we thought switchgear, but turns out meter not powering up; so my final diagnosis was correct; but still not sure why the loom should chaffe if it hasn't been disturbed? still I suppose it's done 18,000 miles, previous owner fitted PCV, and it's since been on the dyno and had fuel pump recall, so I suppose it could have been disturbed by one of those.

Back