Changing my RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loupe

Reaction score
Guys,
You already know the story with my bike and im really undecided what to do now.
The bike will either be replaced (but I don't know timescale for delivery on new one yet)
or I walk away with a full refund as I payed for it.
If I can't get one for a few months then my decision will be made and I'll take the money.
If they say I can get one in a few weeks I'm unsure wether I want another as the new bike i purchased has been a turd and a big let down for me but when I ride it all that goes out my head.
Im looking at the panigale again as it was originally between the two but I've never ridden one and the only reason I went for the BMW was to have no problems....
Your input will be appreciated, Thanks.

If I was in your position I'd test ride the duc and if it goes well, take the refund and go play on the duc and see how that goes. They are beautiful bikes.

Mate, I would respect your decision and choice of machine either way, but you have to admit yours is an isolated case when you look and read of all the happy 2015 owners on here and the fact BMW recognise your situation and will bend over to keep you on their mark is testament to their sales back up. The Ducati, I can't comment on other than it is a fantastic looking machine but over time and miles which one will feel the best especially comfort wise? If it were me I'd stick with BMW and force the point with the dealer of why you should stay on board and try to command some extras. Look back on the good times you've had riding the BMW plus it would mean joining another forum and keeping us updated on here and the Blade one too :)

If I was in your position I'd test ride the duc and if it goes well, take the refund and go play on the duc and see how that goes. They are beautiful bikes.
I forgot to say that Glasgow is my nearest dealer. 7 hour round trip then I'm wondering about servicing etc but I really love the look of this bike.
i know someone who has just bought the superleggera, wonder if he will let me ride it to try a panigale lol

Mate, I would respect your decision and choice of machine either way, but you have to admit yours is an isolated case when you look and read of all the happy 2015 owners on here and the fact BMW recognise your situation and will bend over to keep you on their mark is testament to their sales back up. The Ducati, I can't comment on other than it is a fantastic looking machine but over time and miles which one will feel the best especially comfort wise? If it were me I'd stick with BMW and force the point with the dealer of why you should stay on board and try to command some extras. Look back on the good times you've had riding the BMW plus it would mean joining another forum and keeping us updated on here and the Blade one too :)

Thanks Billo, it's the look of the Ducati that has my attention but riding it may be a different thing altogether. I think I'm answering my own question here!
Free upgrades, yes that's a question I was going to ask although nothing has been mentioned by the dealer but they have asked me what would make me happy...

Keep the BMW loupe as you know im on my second bike and it hasn't missed a beat you was just unlucky with the one you got like i was

Thanks for the replies, ok, will see when I can get a replacement and will ask for HP levers and rearsets to see what they say, this will influence my decision.

Loupe,

I had 2012 S1K and a Panigale R, I have sold the BMW and kept the Panigale (had both from new).
Both are great bikes. Looks are subjective but in my opinion the Panigale is much nicer. Both are equally capable on the track but the Panigale is a bit more difficult at town speeds, only due to the V twin engine.
No problems worth mentioning for either bike & Ducati Glasgow are fantastic.
I guess what I'm saying is that if you try a Panigale, give it a fair chance and don't be put off with it chugging around town, once it gets going it's every bit as fast as the BMW, even though it doesn't feel that way.

Love both bikes

Davy

Tell you what Loupe, I was very very disappointed by the lack of track speed of the BM when MCN tested it back to back with the R1.
Having just read the Performance Bikes mag with Michael Rutter reporting on the R1 Duc & BM around Mallory, i'm back in love big time with the S1000.
If you want to split the bikes on the track put a 3 times TT & Northwest 200 champion on one I say not an editor. Fastest production bike around Mallory ever.....

Deffo stick with the BM mate.
I take it BMW are accepting fault over the problems with your bike?

I agree with billo01 yours seem 's to be the exception rather than the rule and you hold the aces as they will do everything to keep your custom so drive a hard bargain.Look at my post regarding the extras they chucked at me for a fucked up 600 mile service ?3000 worth forged wheels,akra can and ?500 sports package.Plus its the best looking bike out there in my view and if it's not wanting a bike with problems I would not be buying a duke.

Loupe,

I had 2012 S1K and a Panigale R, I have sold the BMW and kept the Panigale (had both from new).
Both are great bikes. Looks are subjective but in my opinion the Panigale is much nicer. Both are equally capable on the track but the Panigale is a bit more difficult at town speeds, only due to the V twin engine.
No problems worth mentioning for either bike & Ducati Glasgow are fantastic.
I guess what I'm saying is that if you try a Panigale, give it a fair chance and don't be put off with it chugging around town, once it gets going it's every bit as fast as the BMW, even though it doesn't feel that way.

Love both bikes

Davy
I used to own a 748 then a 916 so I'd be hoping it was better round town than those. Needed Goliath like strength to pull the clutch in for the 30th time in town!
thanks for your input, much appreciated

Tell you what Loupe, I was very very disappointed by the lack of track speed of the BM when MCN tested it back to back with the R1.
Having just read the Performance Bikes mag with Michael Rutter reporting on the R1 Duc & BM around Mallory, i'm back in love big time with the S1000.
If you want to split the bikes on the track put a 3 times TT & Northwest 200 champion on one I say not an editor. Fastest production bike around Mallory ever.....

Deffo stick with the BM mate.
I take it BMW are accepting fault over the problems with your bike?
Thanks for the reply and info Marzy.
When on the bike I'll agree that it was amazing, I just need to put the rubbish experience behind and start my negotiation skills on the new bike parts lol
They have told me that there is no history with the bike and no problems when it left the factory. The dealer has told me that they haven't had any issues when it was with them which i believe too. The problem is between the factory and the dealership but I doubt I'll get any answers.

drive them for all the extras and tell them youll keep ur own one till new one arrives or get them to lend you a bike if they want it back sooner
and ill buy the extras off your old bike lol

drive them for all the extras and tell them youll keep ur own one till new one arrives or get them to lend you a bike if they want it back sooner
and ill buy the extras off your old bike lol
Think I'd be pushing it for the full parts catalogue!

Here's hoping it's all straightforward if I take the swap route. Thanks for all your input guys.

Hi loupe , the panigale is an absolutely gorgeous looking bike but I'll tell you about my mates saga of owning one just to show that all manufacturers have issues. He bought a 1199s for just over 20k nearly 3 years ago, it has spent a total of 4 months over that time at the dealers with various problems, the last being 5 weeks to cure an electrical problem which was the same problem he had with one of his previous dukes 4 years previous. He is Ducati through and through even though he has problems with them. He has ordered the 1299s and traded the 1199 in and took a drop of 8500k in nearly 3 years on a bike with just 3000 miles on it (massive depreciation imo ). I don't think you'd get the same after sales from Ducati as you do from BM and I can tell you the warranty is not as good. If I was you I'd let them have your bike now and get a demonstrator of them until the new one arrives and then at least you can compare it with yours to see if yours was just a one off lemon, then I'd email BMW direct to try and get them to throw in hp levers, rear sets, Akro and service package. In my opinion the BMW is the better alround package in every way and cheaper.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread Budgie, what you are saying makes a lot of sense and I want the easy life option. I'll put this down to experience and see what I can gain from it for my troubles when they give me some answers to my questions.
Roll on the happy days again, oh and some decent weather.

Latest posts

Back