Chain Maintanance

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy170

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
The last time I had to clean, lubricate and adjust a chain was in 1986 on my Yamaha DT50. Since I came back into biking I have had shaft drives. Now I need to learn all over again.
I have read some threads that mention a chain adjuster you can buy. Those who have one please can you provide some comments.
I also like the look of a Scottoiler. What are your views on these as they seem to make perfect sense and BMW are now installing them on certain models.

I use the lightech chain adjusters and they are very good quality and precision engineered.

For chain cleaning I have been using wd40 motorcycle chain cleaner, but will now be trying the wurth chain and brake cleaner. I use wurth dry lube spray for lubricating. I clean and lubricate the chain after every significant ride.

Not had any issues with 7k miles so far on that regime.

Last edited:
I use Wurth chain and brake cleaner and Castrol chain lube but as said elsewhere it hasn't stopped the cruddy chain on my '15 bike from corroding. I think your regime of cleaning after every ride is the only way to keep it in good nick. Next mod on my bike will be a better quality chain.

I used WD40 on the chain and a stiff brush followed by whatever brand of dry waxy lube i can find. Chain looks brand new and i clean every 3 or 4 hundred miles

I have taken the easy option and bought Scottoiler. I am just waiting for the Gilles tooling chain adjusters and the axle locking nut to arrive. I have also bought an Abba stand so hopefully even a numpty like me will be able to adjust the chain and maintain it.

Attachments

• 272aa399-70d6-4bb2-885b-a10263b103a1_zpsppcpxbno.jpg
    272aa399-70d6-4bb2-885b-a10263b103a1_zpsppcpxbno.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 75b340f0-b7e4-4ae2-8e3e-a030e4e47a5f_zpscdcxcwvt.jpg
    75b340f0-b7e4-4ae2-8e3e-a030e4e47a5f_zpscdcxcwvt.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 75667fed-c181-4057-9d1c-9f9d24898e0f_zpsaxnicu0l.jpg
    75667fed-c181-4057-9d1c-9f9d24898e0f_zpsaxnicu0l.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 61
I use paraffin to clean, give it a good dry and then lube with Wurth dry chain lube after every other big ride. I use an ABBA stand for this operation and have had this stand for years that covered loads of bikes, excellent piece of kit.

The Gilles adjusters are another piece of great kit, easy to install and adjust with precision. Had them on a Blade and will be investing again on the Beemer.

I use Wurth chain and brake cleaner and Castrol chain lube but as said elsewhere it hasn't stopped the cruddy chain on my '15 bike from corroding. I think your regime of cleaning after every ride is the only way to keep it in good nick. Next mod on my bike will be a better quality chain.

BMW chains are pants, Mine went copper coloured over the first winter, put a DID chain and Sprockets on at 6500 and still like new.

Clean them every couple of weeks with WD40 chain cleaner and use Muc off Dry lube or Wurth dry lube on it.

Back