Solid Master Link Riveting Tool (M Endurance Chain for S1000RR K67)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer

Reaction score
Just bought the newer M Endurance Chain 525 for my S1000RR K67, it comes with a solid master link! (I got a couple of them just in case)
Now before embarking on the installation task, need to get the proper tool to rivet the solid master link as close as possible to factory, not to face damaging surprises while driving the bike due to bad riveting!

I got the Motion Pro PBR chain tool (w/ square riveting die) and a Kellermann Chain ToolKTW 2.5 (w/solid link extension however the flange might not look squared)

I doubt that the above tools are sufficient to flange the solid master link head. Nor I can have a solid max torque value to rivet a solid master link. The Kellermann max riveting torque is ~30Nm.

Was looking for the original BMW OEM tool (Bosch I suppose) but could not find it. This tool can rivet to 50Nm as recommended by the service manual but I could not locate where to buy it. Managed to collect the details as follows: (would be better if they have it as a kit)

271561 (Basic Tool) the main press C-Clamp
271562 (Thrust Screw)
271571 (Insert) Rivet Die
271572 (Press Out Pin)
271573 (Insert locator for the Press Out Pin)
271574 (Rivet Die)
271575 (Insert for the Chain Joining Link)
271576 (Bore Insert)
271577 (Rivet Die)

The below clip shows the tool during the installation of the M Endurance Chain Installation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1OY6wpo1qs

You?d have been better purchasing a DID chain because the M chain is not what it was originally advertised as, they?ve since changed it to ?low maintenance? because they were found out.

Usually when you rivet a chain simply measuring the flared end will let you know it?s been done well enough as oppose to torquing it. I can?t remember what tool o seen out there for solid links but there are plenty, I also fit DID chains so I get away with the chain tool I have, I did get the M endurance chain specced on mine as well, so kind of being hypocritical here haha.

I still laugh at that maintenance-free initial advertising campaign, fecking idiots..I called them out on that as soon as I saw the ad...

Ask them to take it back..Buy DID and buy the DID tool, it'll last you a lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
+1 on the Whale riveting tool.

I use an off hand grinder to cut through a pair of rivets to remove the old chain, then I lay the old chain on a clean sheet of newspaper on the ground and lay the new chain alongside it to work out the exact length I need, mark that position with a red permanent ink marker pen, and then count the links (yes the old chain will have stretched) as well just to be sure and then cut the excess links from the chain with the off hand grinder and then assemble the chain on the bike on the bike.

Leave the link to be riveted well onto the rear sprocket, use a 4lb club hammer raise it until your arm is outstretched and horizontal with the ground and give each rivet one firm smack on the Whale tool from that position and it will be just right, not too loose and not too tight. The rear sprocket is tough enough to take a couple of whacks like that.

I like the idea of tightening the rivets with a tool to a given torque setting, but I am already invested in a Whale tool.

Latest posts

Back