Castle Combe S1000RR DB noise levels

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogfox

Reaction score
Hi I'm taking the S1000RR up to Castle Combe for a track day. Has anyone taken the bike there and passed the sound test ? I ve a BMW stock exhaust but need to know if it will pass. I think the test is 105db at 6500rpm but I'm not Sure... If you know it would help thanks

Hi dogfox, i have had mine tested at a few tracks with standard exhaust, it comes out at about 97-98db, so should be fine at castle coombe. A little trick someone told me to keep noise slightly lower is to have the bike in rain mode, the exhaust valve does not open so much apprently, not sure if thats true though !!!!!.

let me know how you go at combe, i live quite close and have not put a bike round there. just cars a few years ago.

cheers

dixie

Cheers for that , and the rain mode tip which makes sense will let you know how it goes. I've Ben on a Daytona 675 it was a hoot. See you up there one day thanks again

Went to castle Combe for sound test ... Failed the test with 108.5db at 10500rpm the limit is 105db.... Was in rain mode... Any ideas on reducing the noise ? This was on a stock exhaust ...

Went to castle Combe for sound test ... Failed the test with 108.5db at 10500rpm the limit is 105db.... Was in rain mode... Any ideas on reducing the noise ? This was on a stock exhaust ...

Why do they make you rev it to 10,500???? That seems stupid high to me? Noise testing must be done at at least a metre from the exhaust outlet at 45 degrees to the can exit. A lot of noise testers seem to dismiss this.

I'm afraid you're fucked if they test like that. The standard S1R can is actually quite noisy.

I'm sure 4 pot biks have to pass noise tests at 7k rpm static???

Am I wrong?

At Castle Combe they test at 3/4 max revs so at 10500 with 45 degree angle 1 metre I was at 108db...maybe even 109db . Are there any non stock kits like the arrow silencer that would bring the noise down ?

At Castle Combe they test at 3/4 max revs so at 10500 with 45 degree angle 1 metre I was at 108db...maybe even 109db . Are there any non stock kits like the arrow silencer that would bring the noise down ?

Basically, no.

Noise testing is a real can of worms.
There are regulations but a lot of tracks dont stick to them.
Also as the Pannigale wont pass the noise test using the regulations they change the rule for that bike. Fecking stinks imho.

I'm going to Silverstone on one of BMW's track & training days. My mates have said the bike sounds like it's got a straight-through pipe, and thats with the standard system! Surely they can't fail it on the day if the day is organised by BMW themselves?

Testing Noise Regulations - Bike These days, all racing circuits have noise restrictions and at MotorSport Vision we are unfortunately no exception. It is extremely important that we operate in compliance with our limits so that we also minimise any disturbance to local communities.

Noise can travel a long way, particularly in certain climatic conditions and therefore we must act in accordance with the regulations to ensure the future of racing for everyone that abides by the rules. Please help us by making your bike as quiet as possible before taking part in any on circuit activity.

Although the requirements below may seem restrictive, they ensure that the majority of customers who do not attempt to flaunt the noise limits are able to continue to enjoy their events without jeopardising future of motorsport with further restrictions.

Anyone wishing to have their bike tested before a test day is more than welcome to come to one of our circuits and have a noise test free of charge. Simply find a day at your most local track when an event is taking place (all events are listed on our Calendar) and arrive sometime between the start and finish times of the event and we can get your bike tested in just a couple of minutes.

The initial test is a static test which is carried out using a handheld meter. As per ACU guidelines, each bike is measured 0.5 meters away from the exhaust at a 45 degree angle when the engine is being held at the following RPM:

Engine Size
1 cylinder
2 cylinder
3 cylinder
4 cylinder

250cc (4 stroke)
5,500rpm
8,500rpm

400cc (4 stroke)
5,000rpm
6,500rpm
7,000rpm
8,000rpm

600cc (4 stroke)
5,000rpm
5,500rpm
6,500rpm
7,000rpm

750cc (4 stroke)
5,000rpm
5,500 rpm
6,500rpm
7,000rpm

+750cc (4 stroke)
4,500rpm
5,000rpm
5,000rpm
5,500rpm

125cc (2 stroke)
7,000rpm

250cc (2 stroke)

7,000rpm

500cc (2 stroke)

5,500rpm
7,000rpm
7,000rpm

In cases where the motorcycle has two separated exhausts the measurement will be taken as above from the median point between the two.

For bike testing, the noise regulations for each of the circuits are as follows:

Brands Hatch
Oulton Park
Cadwell Park
Snetterton
Bedford Autodrome

Indy Circuit (Daytime) - 105dB(A)
All circuits - 105dB(A)
All circuits - 105dB(A)
Daytime - 105dB(A)
All circuits - 101dB(A)

Indy Circuit (Evening) - 102dB(A)

Evenings - 105dB(A)

GP Circuit 101dB(A)

Please note: we also run some events at 98dB(A). Please see the booking page of your event for details.
Please note that we run some events at 102dB(A). Please see the booking page of your event for details.

Please note that we also run some evenings at 102dB(A). Please see the booking page of your event for details.
Bedford Autodrome also has a 87.5dB(A) drive-by limit which is measured at a distance of 20m.

Tel: 01474 872331
Tel: 01829 760301
Tel: 01507 343248
Tel: 01953 887303
Tel: 01234 332400

For Supermono class, Vintage and Classic prior to 1973, the test RPM will continue to depend upon the mean piston speed corresponding to the stroke of the engine, according to the table produced in the ACU Sound Control Regulations.

If you are unsure about the times that we are running noise testing then you can contact each circuit directly on the phone numbers above.

At Bedford Autodrome, we also enforce a drive-by limit of 87.5dB(A) which is measured at a distance of 20m. Whilst we do not currently impose a drive-by limit at any of our other circuits, in the interests of ensuring that the spirit of the noise level limits is respected, we do monitor drive-by levels using noise meters located around the track. If the results of the drive-by monitoring show that your vehicle is generating drive-by sound levels appreciably higher than vehicles with comparable static test results, then you may be called into the pit-lane to address the noise level being generated.

Additional Information

Factors such as air temperature and humidity can affect the level of noise that your bike is producing. This means that whilst on one day your bike is within the respective limits, on another it may fall outside of those limits, preventing you from participating.

For your own piece of mind we urge you to keep a record of your bikes noise level at each event. If you are ever within 1dB(A) of a particular limit then we suggest that you strongly consider having your exhaust looked at before making another booking.

Exhausts do get louder with age as the packing deteriorates and it may be that you need to purchase an additional silencer or baffle before attending another event.

For the record and to add to your list. Castle Combe test limit is 105db at 75% of max RPM 1metre at 45 degree angle. My S1000RR 2012 was at 109db. Does anyone have any ideas on exhausts, silencers etc etc or do they all effect the mapping so much as to be useless?

I can't imagine many bikes passing with that kind of test, at Brands they (or used to) test at 1/2 revs!!!

For the record and to add to your list. Castle Combe test limit is 105db at 75% of max RPM 1metre at 45 degree angle. My S1000RR 2012 was at 109db. Does anyone have any ideas on exhausts, silencers etc etc or do they all effect the mapping so much as to be useless?

Why not get a baffle knocked up,just in case? .If you're not running a PCV then the ecu should compensate.

Thanks not running PCV so ECU should be ok.... I looked on line and there are a couple of company's Db dawg killers for example that produce db killer plugs... Any thoughts? Otherwise will get a baffle knocked up want something relatively easy to install uninstall. Any recommendations on company's that know s1000rr that do this ... This is a real shag !

With a standard system,you could possibly jam the exhaust flap shut for a static test(allegedly!).However,at Silverstone they only do fly-by.

As I say though,if you are at all unsure-for the sake of about £20,get some sort of baffle,must be better than getting sent home!

You could use one of the ready-made baffles,but would probably need a small tag welding on at an angle to take a self-tapping screw and drilling a small hole in the end of the can.

Although,I would assume the std system is ok at any circuit that focused events use as they have s1000rr hire bikes,with std systems.

If Castle Combe expect me to rev the nuts off my bike,with no load,then I'm not going there!!

Back