Decat

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northernsoul65

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
My Gen 3 is under warranty until next May. After that I want to gradually turn it more into a track bike. First thing will be fairings and at the same time get rid of the cat.
One concern with doing this is to make sure I still pass noise tests no problem, and on the quiet days.
Rather than a full system, which I'm assuming is going to cost a reasonable amount, I'm thinking of just a link pipe and a remap. If that's not viable for whatever reason can anyone advise on which system and end can will definitely get through all noise tests.
Any general advice and/or thoughts on decat and changing exhaust system also much appreciated.
Cheers
John

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Noise wise I doubt a decatted standard system with a link pipe would be quieter than a full system. I fitted a full system last winter - Akro stainless steel - and bought a 450mm MHP can which has a 50.8mm internal diameter tube and that tests at 99/100db (without a baffle) at Oulton and I have no issue with the drive-by. I have a 350mm hex Akro can which I use at Anglesey as you have to be really taking the piss there to be pulled for noise - tbh it doesn't sound much louder.

I also recently fitted CRC fairings and I was quite impressed with the fit.

Link pipes require you to cut the cat off the OEM exhaust so if you ever want to put it back to stock (i.e. to sell) you're scuppered.

As above volume is the same as aftermarket. You need an end can long enough to control the volume for the track. Powertech can also make to order.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Noise wise I doubt a decatted standard system with a link pipe would be quieter than a full system. I fitted a full system last winter - Akro stainless steel - and bought a 450mm MHP can which has a 50.8mm internal diameter tube and that tests at 99/100db (without a baffle) at Oulton and I have no issue with the drive-by. I have a 350mm hex Akro can which I use at Anglesey as you have to be really taking the piss there to be pulled for noise - tbh it doesn't sound much louder.

I also recently fitted CRC fairings and I was quite impressed with the fit.
Thanks.
Guess the mhp can would get past a 98db day with the baffle in?
You got any photos?

Link pipes require you to cut the cat off the OEM exhaust so if you ever want to put it back to stock (i.e. to sell) you're scuppered.

As above volume is the same as aftermarket. You need an end can long enough to control the volume for the track. Powertech can also make to order.

Good point about resale.

Fairings look ace. Did you have the paint job done by someone?

No - they are an ex-smith racing set from the 2018TT. CRC's in decent condition - ?250 off ebay for the just the main fairing.

Re the cat cutting, I can see the argument that if you wanted to get that system back on for resale, you're knackered cos it's been cut. But, don't you think most people, whether you're selling for road or track, would be happy that the cat has been cut off and it's been remapped??

Re the cat cutting, I can see the argument that if you wanted to get that system back on for resale, you're knackered cos it's been cut. But, don't you think most people, whether you're selling for road or track, would be happy that the cat has been cut off and it's been remapped??

Is yours a 15/16 or a 17/18? I seem to think that it's easier decatting the 15/16 exhaust?

Mines a 17 and I've cut the cat out. I never thought about the resale tbh, but I have kept the original end can and will stick it on if the time comes.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Mines a 17 and I've cut the cat out. I never thought about the resale tbh, but I have kept the original end can and will stick it on if the time comes.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Is it road bike or track?
Thinking about MOT and noise but guess most places would just state 'advisory' if it's an issue

Latest posts

Back