New road marking for bikers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone seen these new PRIME signs they've been trialing in parts of western Scotland?

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/primed-ride-new-motorcycle-road-markings-explained

I think the idea of the article is that they are phycological tricks that encourage better road position - they give bikers something to aim for because you instinctively aim to pass between them and sets you up for taking the corner, esp. (or only) left handers.

Only one thing - dunno if it's my IAM training, but I'd be hard up against the centre line for the corner shown in the article (second pic), so I'm not sure those lines would help me... they just put extra white lines on the part of the road I'd be using and therefore slippier in the wet (making them an issue for anyone who is still using their brakes).

It sounds like they are coming to a lot more of Scotland, given the results, nothing said about south of the border for now.

Agreed, they're not at the limits enough and just introduce additional slippy paint at the parts you should be riding on.

Still, it's better than nothing for those who don't know.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

There are several clues on the road in the picture which riders should also be aware of, especially if the road is unfamiliar to them.

1. The yellow box surround on the chevrons on the outside of the corner indicate that there have been previous fatalities in road traffic accidents on that corner - so give this corner extra care and consider slowing down even more than you would normally.
2. If you are in reduced visibility, the nearside plastic post (a Wynchwood Hazard Marker Post) approaching you with the red reflector indicates that the approaching corner is a left hand corner. A white reflector on the same post on the offside (the right hand side of the road) would indicate a right hand bend approaching.

The hazard posts were once placed on many unlit roads positioned on straights and through bends, their reflectors giving the road user information on potential hazards. Within the Highway Code you?ll see that red reflectors should be positioned on the left hand side of the carriageway and white on the right hand side. There are occasions when these posts are also positioned to mark other hazards such as driveways and entrances.

Not trying to be a pedant, and I agree with Colin and Alex, my road position at the approach of this corner corner would be closer to the centre line of the carriageway than the gap shown on the PRIME markers, giving me as good a visibility as I could get around the LH corner and an escape plan in mind which might be possible by moving towards the nearside should an oncoming vehicle cut the approaching corner slightly.

Last edited:
I seen these signs on a ride and had no idea what they meant. I also can't say whether or not I did indeed get funnelled into the middle as is the intention.

So, not convinced they are a great addition due to previously mentioned slippy paint added to the road...

There are several clues on the road in the picture which riders should also be aware of, especially if the road is unfamiliar to them.

1. The yellow box surround on the chevrons on the outside of the corner indicate that there have been previous fatalities in road traffic accidents on that corner - so give this corner extra care and consider slowing down even more than you would normally.
2. If you are in reduced visibility, the nearside plastic post (a Wynchwood Hazard Marker Post) approaching you with the red reflector indicates that the approaching corner is a left hand corner. A white reflector on the same post on the offside (the right hand side of the road) would indicate a right hand bend approaching.

The hazard posts were once placed on many unlit roads positioned on straights and through bends, their reflectors giving the road user information on potential hazards. Within the Highway Code you?ll see that red reflectors should be positioned on the left hand side of the carriageway and white on the right hand side. There are occasions when these posts are also positioned to mark other hazards such as driveways and entrances.

Not trying to be a pedant, and I agree with Colin and Alex, my road position at the approach of this corner corner would be closer to the centre line of the carriageway than the gap shown on the PRIME markers, giving me as good a visibility as I could get around the LH corner and an escape plan in mind which might be possible by moving towards the nearside should an oncoming vehicle cut the approaching corner slightly.

I didn't know that about the Yellow Box. Slightly confused by the 2nd piece about reflectors as the left hander has a white reflector in front of it?

I didn't know that about the Yellow Box. Slightly confused by the 2nd piece about reflectors as the left hander has a white reflector in front of it?

The red reflector post on the nearside is slightly obscured by the shrubs in the picture - but it is there, it sits on top of the white/black post - they really help when the visibility is poor in say fog or misty conditions.

Haven't noticed these despite where I live. I was sure that 1st plate is somewhere on the A82 Glen Coe Road with the mighty Buachaille in the background, but it's not..

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

The red reflector post on the nearside is slightly obscured by the shrubs in the picture - but it is there, it sits on top of the white/black post - they really help when the visibility is poor in say fog or misty conditions.
Blind didn't see the red on top on the phone.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Agree with the comments on funnelling but am I missing a marble here? There's a small red reflector on the left but there is 2 (or more) large, reflective, directional chevrons in your face which I think is more productive ?

Saw some these on the way to Ballachulish the other weekend.
A85, on the left then right corners after Glen Dochart caravan park straight heading to Crianlarich just before Loch Lubhair.
Was always a very fast road if you wished.
Average speed cameras all the way from Lix Toll now.

Saw some these on the way to Ballachulish the other weekend.
A85, on the left then right corners after Glen Dochart caravan park straight heading to Crianlarich just before Loch Lubhair.
Was always a very fast road if you wished.
Average speed cameras all the way from Lix Toll now.
I've a cracking video of me thrashing my bike on that very stretch just before they destroyed that stretch !

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back