California Super Bike School Level 1&2

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done level 3 and looking to do 4 in a month or two, but really there is no excuse for 3 bikes going down at CSS apart from poor riding skills. The course is designed to teach you how to corner and a modicum of common sense is required if it is cold or very wet. You are there to learn not to race, but then i probably sound like an old fa*t!

The bikes went down on the quick steer drill apparently. Cold front tyres are not good for that drill. Not down to people racing.

just to start a debate , has anyone watched the Simon crafar video , seems to be the exct opposite to the CSS stuff
I have no idea which is right though.

save your money and buy a track day with FE and book Neil Hodgson for the day with your own bike. about £300.. bargain

save your money and buy a track day with FE and book Neil Hodgson for the day with your own bike. about £300.. bargain

Thats something i want to do but i believe yr with others (2or3) . Off session with css theres 20min classroom with more in depth instruction. Its ok being with Hodgy but you need to understand what he's telling you and why the bikes behaving as it is...

Hi all good reviews above i have been thinking of doing level 1, i would not do it on my bike but hire one of theirs which does make it costly ?765. I really don't want fancy taking my S1k on the track. All that have done did it make a lot of difference to your riding. Thanks all.

Can't see the point of using a different bike to the one you usually ride ? It's NOT racing, it's at yr own pace putting in to practise the classroom sessions.
Yes it made a difference to the way I ride because I had so much more vision and understood what the bike was doing...

I did level one last year, on my own bike, and was a bit nervous about it at first. However as has been said it is not a race just instruction and you go as fast as you feel comfortable with. I am doing Level 2 in June and am looking forward to getting the BMW on the track at Silverstone. I do feel it has improved my riding and that is due to understanding what the bike is trying to do and what you should be doing to allow it.

Regards Steve

I want to do CSS but for those that want to learn some Machine Control without spending quite as much I can HIGHLY recommend i2i's courses.
MC1/3/5 (Machine Control course 1, 3 and 5)
They set up on an airfield (MC5 is track) and just run through drills to help you understand the physics of what you're doing, explain how YOU make a stable device unstable through your inputs on the throttle, brake, weight changes, bar movements etc etc.
Getting people to stand upright on the pegs (no hands) whilst travelling at 30-40mph over a (shaped) lump of wood...teaches you a lot about over-reaction to perceived threats ;)

They have Knee Down and other advanced courses too, the environment is friendly, no one is pushed to do anything they simply can't face. Tom is a great instructor.
http://www.i2imca.com/

Thanks for the advice it does make sense to do the course on your own bike but just a bit nervous about, like you say though its at your own pace. Lots to think about but am sure i will do the course.
Thanks for the other link Alex will take a look at that as well.

I've completed all 4 levels of CSS, and as they tell you, riding at 70% is where you can learn (or unlearn if that's the case) technique. Any more commitment than that can cause fear to come up and restrict your ability to change and to cement the change during the day. Having said that, there's no reason NOT to take your own bike. The people that crashed while I was there were the typical yahoos riding way over their heads, "Oh. last session better get my knee down this time" You will be fine.

Another point as far as their commitment to learning, if a student is riding in what they deem a dangerous manner, he will be warned once, then he will be told to leave. No refunds either.

I've completed all 4 levels of CSS, and as they tell you, riding at 70% is where you can learn (or unlearn if that's the case) technique. Any more commitment than that can cause fear to come up and restrict your ability to change and to cement the change during the day. Having said that, there's no reason NOT to take your own bike. The people that crashed while I was there were the typical yahoos riding way over their heads, "Oh. last session better get my knee down this time" You will be fine.

Another point as far as their commitment to learning, if a student is riding in what they deem a dangerous manner, he will be warned once, then he will be told to leave. No refunds either.
Thanks for the advice it does make me feel better about it now, i passed my test back in 2011 and although had ridden many years previous it was like starting over again. I did a track day in 2012 and did not feel that comfortable using my bike at the time. But like others have said its not a track day its training so feel a lot better about it now. I would imagine some people think it is a track day and like you say are told soon enough.
It must be good training if you have completed all 4 levels!!!

Last edited:
Hi Daz - The focus is definitely about learning, I've also heard that students will be told to leave if they are not attentive during the class sessions, or if the coaches cannot get through to them on the concepts being discussed. Definitely they are VERY watchful at the start of the day, and believe me the coaches do not miss a thing. Go and enjoy! I cannot begin to express how it has changed my riding and the way I now approach the whole concept of control and awareness, both track and street.

+1 well worth the money in my opinion, did 1&2, can't see the point of hiring a bike when it's not the one yr riding and as stated it's NOT a balls out track day but purely a learning day. On a future track day you will be lapping as fast if not faster than before only safer and with more confidence...

Thanks for the advice definitely puts my mind at rest and looking forward to the training even more now. I have looked at so many of the CSS videos on line and all seem to enjoy it. Its not that i want to be racing just want to improve my cornering.

Thanks again all.

Well did the CSS Superbike school in June the weather was perfect not too hot but enough sunshine. In the end i did hire a Ducati 899 which was good and allowed me to relax without worrying about my S1000rr!!! I know i know i should have used it and am hoping to do level 2 next year when i will use my bike.

Great training and day out..and like said earlier its all about the training.

Thanks all for the advice.

Brilliant Daz, great to hear that you had a great time and added to your skills/training. Thanks for the write up

Brilliant Daz, great to hear that you had a great time and added to your skills/training. Thanks for the write up

+1.

edit: Could someone help me understand, does CSS get you from, say, novice to expert, or does it not work that way? Reason I'm asking is I'm ok (just) for pace and lines etc, but my body position is generally shit, and I'd like to get it right to go better. I don't want to be sat learning about racing lines etc. I watched a lad (I'm not old but it fits) on a GS throwing it around Cadwell whilst in complete control, hanging off it. I followed him for a few laps for the pleasure of watching, and struggled to keep with him in the bends, it was poetry. Speaking to him afterwards, turns out he competed in Aus in superstock when he was younger. I want to ride like that.

Last edited:
Hi Soofsayer - Everyone starts at level 1 no matter what their experience and then move through the levels, I am sure others on the forum who have been through the levels will advise further.
I can say that it does make you think more about your riding, input and control and that was only level 1.......

Back