BMW QS problems

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
baz link=topic=1302.msg12310#msg12310 date=1345717617 said:
VINNY RR link=topic=1302.msg12303#msg12303 date=1345669799 said:
Hi baz...what do you mean by over engineerd gearbox ?

What I mean is, it is possibly overbuilt(i.e built to BMW standards for longevity with closer tolerances than ideal for race changes)

This is also apparent with the engine,as it seems to be quite common that,as the engine loosens up with mileage,horse power increases in many cases.Indeed,this was apparent on my own bike which picked up 10bhp(same dyno/same comparison bike)first session at 900 miles,second session 4000miles

Being honest,we expect a lot from this bike.It makes more power,revs to 14k,handles superbly,goes quicker,bimbles along,tours,wins races and puts a smile on our faces every time we ride it.It may not be perfect for everyone
but all-round there is nothing better.

Agreed. Nothing better by a long shot.

Spoke to Michael Neeves. The PL team are using HM Shifters. I think I'll pick one up over the winter and get it fitted. Apparently the HM unit plugs in to the original plug left by the stock shift assists.

Still looking at £450 though.

:)

HM shifter plugs into the injectors directly in between BMW loom and injectors and plugs into both top and bottom banks of injectors (all 8). That is why it is so good!! If you have a power commander you have 3 lots of looms/connectors all plugging in series into the injectors - very clever but also a pain in the ass to fit so best for HM or Seton Tuning to do it if you aren't sure.

Still most shift problems are down to the kill time and sensitivity settings (if adjustable) OR the angles of shift rod vs mount onto gearbox shaft. If after market rearsets for race shift try to get 90degrees between mount onto gearbox shaft and shift rod.

If crap shifts persist with the standard shifter either get BMW to look at it, and if it's working ok just be really positive on upshifts and ONLY do so when high in RPM to save the gearbox (which happens to be a work of art in the BMW)

I use the Cordona strain guage quickshifter which has proved absolutely faultless.

It is wired direct to the coils,is easy to fit and set up and is adjustable for kill time and lever sensitivity.The main advantage,in my opinion,is there are no connections to the ecu so the ecu is totally unaffected.

I think it was cheaper than HM too!

baz link=topic=1302.msg12336#msg12336 date=1345761963 said:
I use the Cordona strain guage quickshifter which has proved absolutely faultless.

It is wired direct to the coils,is easy to fit and set up and is adjustable for kill time and lever sensitivity.The main advantage,in my opinion,is there are no connections to the ecu so the ecu is totally unaffected.

I think I'll take a look at the Cordona shifter. Have you got a link to prices etc ?

I think I got it from Moto46-I will check!

I will be at Snet on the 10th if you want to have a poke about and I will bring the installation sheets etc.

baz link=topic=1302.msg12342#msg12342 date=1345801601 said:
I think I got it from Moto46-I will check!

I will be at Snet on the 10th if you want to have a poke about and I will bring the installation sheets etc.

Nice one Baz. I'll have a look at Snett

my quickshifter is fine 99% of the time the usual delay in showing the gear.

had bit of an issue on track at snett on weds on the back straight going from 4th to 5th it went in to neutral with a loud clunk. bit of a worrie but thats what the run off is for

It doesn't seem to like it when the power is being cut near the rev limit and obviously the quick shifter is cutting the ignition also so there must be a conflict.

Geezuz, i installed gilles factor x rear sets with gp shift and cannot get the shifter to work at all. It seems the rod exiting what was the rear of the qs but is now the bottom, just pulls out of the shifter under strain preventing a gear change. Tried absolutely everything and now have scrapped the qs and going old school just so i can ride it. Even doing this is turning out a big job, haven't found that sweet spot yet where the box will work. Ihave been at it for hours and when the rain stops will try the current position.

I can't believe the difficulty of this task. there is a black bracket on the motor which rulles out several positions for the adaptor off the gear shaft as it hits it !! I called bmw Alton and they said they had a bike on the dyno and found the same issues with the qs at high revs and said bmws stance is that it is a shift assistor not a quickshifter and doesn't work in the high revs. They basicallt said it's rubbish and all the track dayers and racers get qsifters.

Success ! i scrapped the shift assister and used a shift rod from my blade spares and she is sweet. I just have to tap the lever and she shifts smooth as. I rode it for a while and no effort shifting whatsoever and no false neutrals etc. if you ask me the qs makes shifting harder than it has to be. i will get a hm plus and then job done.

VINNY RR link=topic=1302.msg12470#msg12470 date=1346019729 said:
Is it illegal for a manufacturer to fit a quickshifter on a a road bike from the factory... thats why bmw call it shift assist...?

I think it may be, when I ordered the Triumph one for my 675 it did say not for road use.

Hopper link=topic=1302.msg12340#msg12340 date=1345792729 said:
baz link=topic=1302.msg12336#msg12336 date=1345761963 said:

I think I'll take a look at the Cordona shifter. Have you got a link to prices etc ?

Yes,it was Moto46.Full plug&play s1000rr kit-£339

Damo link=topic=1302.msg12411#msg12411 date=1345907078 said:
Geezuz, i installed gilles factor x rear sets with gp shift and cannot get the shifter to work at all. It seems the rod exiting what was the rear of the qs but is now the bottom, just pulls out of the shifter under strain preventing a gear change. Tried absolutely everything and now have scrapped the qs and going old school just so i can ride it. Even doing this is turning out a big job, haven't found that sweet spot yet where the box will work. Ihave been at it for hours and when the rain stops will try the current position.

I can't believe the difficulty of this task. there is a black bracket on the motor which rulles out several positions for the adaptor off the gear shaft as it hits it !! I called bmw Alton and they said they had a bike on the dyno and found the same issues with the qs at high revs and said bmws stance is that it is a shift assistor not a quickshifter and doesn't work in the high revs. They basicallt said it's rubbish and all the track dayers and racers get qsifters.

After some investigation. It actually states in the S1000rr manual that the shifter isnt designed to be used at high revs.. Nothing like covering your bum aye..

The bike will be going to HM over the next few weeks to get one fitted :)

Hopper link=topic=1302.msg13607#msg13607 date=1347890196 said:
After some investigation. It actually states in the S1000rr manual that the shifter isnt designed to be used at high revs.. Nothing like covering your bum aye..

The bike will be going to HM over the next few weeks to get one fitted :)

What page of the manual does it say that? I'm getting a tad annoyed with the stock quickshifter going into false neutrals.
I was ready for having a go at the dealership mechanics who said it wasn't to be used above 12k rpms, but i thought i'd better wait until i was 100% on it.

I wouldn't bother having a go at BMW. It will fall on deaf ears.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the S1000RR....... In there eyes

Tossers !!

Hopper link=topic=1302.msg15551#msg15551 date=1351962705 said:

Tossers !!

ok, i did have the bike serviced recently and it included a system update which seems to have fixed the hesitation at low rpm shifts. so far....

Hopper link=topic=1302.msg15551#msg15551 date=1351962705 said:

Tossers !!
couldn't agree more lol, i could probably put up with some of its failings if the dealer was half decent.

i found im having problems with the shifter. it wont work at all!
i found this diagram (below) and im going to give it a go before calling the stealership.
If i plug my GS-911 in, do you think it will reset its self or no?
any input would be appreciated

QS20setting1_zps3509bf22.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Back