Alex's 2023 Gen 5

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The new hotness...

I think the shift cam motor is a peach. Loads of smooth low down torque and when it revs out it just goes completely nuts. Having never ridden mine on track I can count the number of times I've held it on full throttle and let it rev out on one hand. I struggle to physically hold on! Love it.

TL;DR - had a long ride, it was good, don't miss old bike at all.

After 444miles I got her serviced and unlocked at the tail end of last week. Lind Norwich did me a favour and got me in the same day (as I asked) after I realised an upcoming trip would take me well past the 700 mile maximum and break my warranty. 350-700 is the mileage for running in.

This past weekend I rode Norwich to Newbury to Norwich, all avoiding London and the motorway network as much as possible and now sits at ~800 miles. Some notes

Navigation/Headset: Works pretty well, doesn't like it if you blow through a junction and miss a turn, tends to want a U-turn at the next round about. I wish it would say, U turn or it's 3 miles extra or something like that, I like options. Because you can't see a map (my phone is in the tank bag I can't see it) on the dash it's sometimes hard to know the right choice when faced with complex junctions. It would be nice if in time maps were added to the dash itself like on the cars. I don't have any bluetooth earphones for use in a helmet right now, so I used my old Ultimate Ears moulded ones on a lead, plugged into my phone via a USB-C to 3.5mm jack. Once the dash came online and took over the audio, on my Samsung android I simply went to Media Output and selected Headphones instead of ICC6.5 (the dash) and got the audio from Spotify and BMW Navigation. Sorted.

Comfort: I still have the OEM pegs/levers/standard seat. I was in Road mode for the entire trip. For the first time I was using my RST 4.2 M2M 1-piece airbag suit (more of that in another post), and under them I just had a base layer and some Endura MT500 Protector Shorts ( https://www.wiggle.com/p/endura-mt500-protector-undershorts-ii ). I think the bike is pretty much made for someone my shape and size so I shouldn't have any complaints and honestly bike riding is never super comfy but this was very very good for what it was. Ride quality in Road mode was pretty plush, big bumps are going to unsettle any bike but I never had a moment where I felt the bike should have done better. Riding with cycling shorts on is a no brainer for me, these MT500's have a slim comfort pad and the added bonus of D3O armour on the hips, an area often neglected on 1-piece suits. And so my butt was pretty comfy in the saddle for the 9 hrs of riding. My knees often give me the most trouble. I did a lot of stretching before leaving and made sure I stretched my legs when I was sat on cruise. Over all they were done in when I got back but a little recovery time and I was ok again. The suit definitely made a difference here goes to show gear which fits makes a difference. I wasn't intending to use the 1-piece but my 12 year old Dainese 2-piece broke the linking zip 2 days prior to leaving and forced my hand. I have room to move backwards on the seat and change the knee angle, I just wish I could stay back, every bump knocks me towards the tank, a flatter seat would help but then under hard acceleration you need the support so...shrug...

Controls/Vibrations: Mine doesn't have much vibes, did the 2 days and never felt my fingers were buzzing. I can see it in the mirrors (the vibrations) but other than a lack of rear vision as times there were no complaints here. I do use cruise a lot especially in 30's and 40's and am always using that time to stretch and rest the digits on each hand as well as the legs (at risk appropriate times).

Powertrain: Way too much for the road. But overtakes are hilarious when you drop to 3rd, pull out and pin it. Held WOT (wide open throttle) a few times to make progress and she just picks up her skirt and lunges at the horizon. Wouldn't know it had Shiftcam if it wasn't in the literature. It from 6-14000 it just goes off like a scolded cat without any noticeable changes (dips or kicks). Below 6 (where most road riding is done) it just pulls cleanly making 6th gear over takes effortless. Cannot wait to try it out on track. Gearbox is pretty slick, sometimes it's a little reticent to shift for a given load/rpm but it does always get there with a bit more lever pressure. I'll be putting it back to Race Shift soon as I've decided I prefer that over all. It's mind boggling to think it can be better and yet a full map would release more.

Tyres: Dunlop TT. I'd fit another set in a heartbeat. Turns nicely, road feedback is enough without over whelming you. Grip is great as far as I can tell, not pushed them in the turns, but I feel confident on them. Not had to deal with rain yet. Will probably leave them on for Brands GP in June and see how they go.

Body/Paint: I do hate that these bikes are all too easily scuffed and marked through normal use. I'm going to see about getting a full valet, polish, ceramic coating, PPF job on it before much longer...though it's possibly already too late. (Just buying up a spare set of panels may yet again be the only way).

Overall: Please I upgraded, nothing except the cost of replacing EVERYTHING, has made me want my Gen3 back.

To come: I have a box of stuff I've not yet fitted...

Last edited:

Needed luggage for the trip.
Duct tape, non-slip mat and my Gen 3 tail pack did the job.
I probably should get a Hepco and Becker...

d148d68d0f80f6e10638aac3638afeb7.jpg

c0d73fbdd68c3c63358b4fc1e655d435.jpg

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk
2b0be3b37dcda34c03013caaae510cf8.jpg

Last edited:

Finally fitted all the protection bits I had in a box.

Evotech Rad Guards
Alpha chassis and swingarm carbon covers
Alpha Crashpads
GB Racing engine covers
R&G Brake lever guard
GILLES TCA Chain Adjusters / Lifters / Crashpads
Bonamici Rearsets

2b347e5ca9a2269a3d4c04c36b054a6f.jpg

de94c84bffe4097658ef2eaa3f808a43.jpg

d2be598245731d738bbdc1e0fe0aed9d.jpg

f18ffc1fceec4a7971f8eb35b1b70964.jpg

f19ab084b2782fb148e013dcf8959e74.jpg

ad24581144f3754dd8d7d5e3cba192c0.jpg

3f0426c0f18717ce39217859cf03e258.jpg

Last edited:

Despite biblical thunder, lightning and rain, got to spin a few fast (for me) laps on the Gen5 today at Brands GP in the afternoon.

Ran only my Dunlop TT's which have done 1000 miles now. Warmed to 70c. 34/28 hot. They held on gamely, really love how they steer, definitely can be overpowered but I was confident on them. Went to 50+ degrees according to the dash the one time i remembered to look.

Laptimer/GPS didn't work and need to figure that out. Hoping the datalogger part worked...

Worked on finding out what the electronics changes do. Ended up, on Pro with;
Engine 1
ABS 2
DTC 2
Engine brake 2
DDC 3FC/7FR 5RC/6RR (reused my Gen3 Pot Sensor)

Think the compression on both ends needs go up. But otherwise not bad.
I couldn't get on the power hard enough out of the final corner...which i think that was due to rear compression...but am happy to be corrected.

Overall. Its planted and easier to steer than my previous bike. Wings might have helped, jury still out. Saw way too much sky coming out of Surtees once or twice. Power is plentiful. Brakes, accomplished. Electronics, a little intrusive...but then I didnt try full balls out mode.

Snetterton on Sunday, Leon Haslam day, he's asked for some tuition...

03d49640530fcdf6293ac759c3349f72.jpg

cfd7bc82f3e33734155a3319dcb8ebdc.jpg

ebd3f355d809ba3aab50ee66781941b3.jpg

356d2d3687541fbb8c6a9667a51b859e.jpg

13854697a6660b4dff9d2ff3aa68ab0c.jpg

Last edited:

Bananaman in attendance too

ad3a417202cb890de8186fa9bf1aa757.jpg

63362f5fd589c2bfa20a82acb20f75a2.jpg

Last edited:

Cracking stuff mate. I?d have thought DTC 2 would have been kicking in too much and being too intrusive on the slower corner exits when hard on the gas, I know my 22 bike was. What did you have the + - set at, zero?

Did you set the trigger for the lap timer to external on the options within the dash? If you have it should work no probs at all, for me I rock up, have the GPS mouse out and in place and that?s it, mine actually worked when I had left the USB stick in place and recorded all my road riding even when the GPS mouse was stowed away under the pillion seat.

Full GPS/Datalogger from 2D/BMW. External trigger set.

I think you may have inadvertently nailed the issue. I think it was on road ride not circuit, hence it wasn't triggering on laps, just continuously counting 1 trip. I had a lot of issues importing the data last night. So there's deffo a config issue to do with channels etc.

The K67+ app is hardwork for sure, previous one was more obvious imo.

DTC was mode 2 +/- 0. And yeah it holds back on lean angle. As the day started wet and we only got 3 real sessions I tried, rain, DTC 3, DTC 2. Will give 1 a go at Snett if the weather is kind.

Last edited:

Before and after, honest opinions?

(Don't zoom in I am terrible at fitting things like this)

cccfeccccff50668dc286f85599ae0cc.jpg

86988fa7cd92f7856b75ebdf2c7daf04.jpg

ce53fc6b2cc8b9481532982c9c2cbc06.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back