Alex - S1000RR - 2012 - Black

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TPS parts have arrived early!
Also received an HP Datalogger from eBay.

5e35986d56c11cbd77af6ddafdd77d61.jpg

9fa05f91b0ee222a5d08ee8693d50daa.jpg

75cfde769b96af802ace8a1cdbecb417.jpg

- Sent from Mobile

HP Race Datalogger

Before you use the HP Datalogger make sure that you configure it properly in the 'Options' menu within the supplied BMW datalogging software. The instructions provided are fairly basic but there are several manuals that you can download from the 2D website. These will help you understand the analysis software in order to get the most from the data that you are recording and improve your riding on track.

2D Software

The 2D software it's actually pretty good once you understand its nuances and it's a really powerful tool for data analysis. What you will likely find useful is the GPS track overlays for line analysis and if your using potentiometers for calculating suspension travel it's great for aiding set up.

So the TPS parts arrived...and proved they were not at fault - hurrah - sigh... cue another week of looking for reasons which ended today.
The guy working on it - who is their chief engineer - has been in contact with BMW a lot about this and at one point they were telling him to replace the ECU. He didn't agree, and has steadfastly stuck to finding fault elsewhere.
They've pretty much stripped the loom and checked it for damage, but during test rides etc they'd noticed the QS was a bit...errr...sh1t. They decided to "re-code" it - they also took the wiring apart and renewed it. Initial impressions are; the QS is buttery smooth now and they have not been able to replicate the engine cut-out.

They are going to test for 24hrs...my fingers are crossed.

The great thing is at the end of all this that I've had the loom checked for all the types of failures people have reported before. I know I won't fall victim to them in the future. Silver linings...

Lind Motorrad

It sounds like they are making good progress. I've had nothing but excellent service from Lind Motorrad since buying my bike from them.

It tricked them into a false sense of security, switched itself off again.
Sigh...

Last edited:
Day EleventyMillion.

It might just flippin work.
The entire Engine Loom has been replaced.
Bike has behaved for 2 days and so it's being picked up by the tuner tomorrow.

Bright side = new engine loom / Quickshifter and ECU have been re-programmed (can't hurt right).

Awaiting news from BMW as to whether they will make a contribution to the costs as its the loom. Current bill is ?750...

That's cheap. I would be expecting something with four figures for the time / components they have been sorting. Plus the rent lol.

Well there was the 250 from Alan J's and the bill from Track Electronics to come!

- Sent from Mobile

Yeah tell me about it sigh...guess there's Spain/Portugal for Winter fun.

To round this all up;
Symptoms: Engine would cut out at random - this seemed to be worse with heat soak. Electrics would stay on, engine would only restart if I turned it on and off.
Items ruled out over time:

• Bazzaz Z-Fi installation & configuration - although it was scotch-locked in and you could initially cause an engine cut by fiddling with the switched earth lead. The issue persisted without the Bazzaz installed.
  • HID lighting - taking it out the loop had no affect.
  • TPS - Throttle Position Sensors (2) - the fault codes being thrown were for these sensors. They were swapped out for new. No improvement.
  • Throttle Body Tolerance Check - BMW asked if the TB's were within tolerances/replace the TB's. Checks were done but we didn't replace them.
  • Battery - I use a Lithium - had that checked in case
  • Front Wheel Sensor - Someone on FB suggested his bike had cut out due to this sensor - this was checked and ruled out.
  • Quickshifter - it was QS'ing like a dog - wiring for this was looked at intensely - the insulation was renewed - QS was recoded - shifts are like butter :)
  • ECU - BMW suggested replacing the ECU - BMW Lind and I agreed that it wasn't the ECU - but they agreed to reflash it in case there was some bad data.
Fix: Replaced Engine Wiring Harness

• BMW paid for the new loom.
  • BMW Lind charged me about 8hrs in total (for 5 weeks of work and research).
  • Track Electronics
    • replaced the BikeTrac Tracker - turns out this died too - rare but BikeTrac were on the case and were quick to replace it.
    • lots of test work before going to BMW including replacing the Bazzaz and it's config, testing wires etc etc.
    • Refitted the Bazzaz once given the all clear by BMW Lind.
  • JimmyMac - the 4th Emergency Service - tried get things fixed for me and Malic up at Moffat - whilst Stu was more interested in the scenery.

Total costs have been in the order of a ?1000 plus losing the summer. But now I can say this bike is going to be a better bet than 99% of other '12's for all the attention it's had.

We're both in Norwich at the moment - Sunday she has to get to London without any issues for me to entirely close the book on this.

Back