ABS Pro

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snooker

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to book my 15 in for its annual service and I'm considering getting the ABS Pro installed. The reason that I haven't done it previously is that I thougt the price a bit steep for what is really a software upgrade.

So who has it and what is your opinion? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

I'm about to book my 15 in for its annual service and I'm considering getting the ABS Pro installed. The reason that I haven't done it previously is that I thougt the price a bit steep for what is really a software upgrade.

So who has it and what is your opinion? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

I have it, only worth it if you use it, but if you use it once it probably saved your skin, bit like airbags on a car.

Would you let your loved ones drive a car now with no airbags?

Anything that increases your chances of getting home safely is a winner with me, 'because I'm worth it' as my mukka Cheryl says.

JimmyMac

I've got it installed, and I've been in a situation where it kicked in. I'd wholeheartedly recommend getting it.

You certainly can?t fault the logic of Jimmy and Certi [emoji846]

IMO, if you intend to keep your bike for a good while longer, then I would go for it

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but how can I tell if my bike is fitted with ABS Pro? I believe it is, but I am not 100% sure.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but how can I tell if my bike is fitted with ABS Pro? I believe it is, but I am not 100% sure.

If its installed, then it will come up on the dash saying "ABS PRO" when you switch the ignition on. I got my bike new, in May 2016, and it was already installed from factory.

I've got it on mine , don't honestly know if it's ever saved my bacon but , I'm glad I had it fitted. No point spending ( in my case over ?15k ) on a bike and scrimping on a few hundred pounds for something that could keep you upright as opposed to laying in a ditch or worse.

How much is it these days, still the same as when it came out? I think around the 400 mark wasn't it?

It came as standard on the 2016+ models ( I think? ). My 2015 didn't have it and as you say, it was over ?400 to have it enabled. I factored this cost in as justification when I came to put a business case together in my head to buy the 2017.

I can't honestly say that I've ever used it - I still ride this bike as I would any other (i.e. 'gingerly') but just having the knowledge in the back of my mind that if anything untoward would happen, I'd have some German cone-head's engineering skills along with me for the ride, and thus it instills a bit of confidence and 'quiet' .. or maybe just less panic; either of which is a positive.

How much is it these days, still the same as when it came out? I think around the 400 mark wasn't it?

I heard it was around ?600 mark

Annoying as the IMU is already enabled for everything else!

Standard on models built from March 16.

If its installed, then it will come up on the dash saying "ABS PRO" when you switch the ignition on. I got my bike new, in May 2016, and it was already installed from factory.

It doesn't say ABS PRO on dash. But my mate, whom I have effectively purchased the bike from, says that it has all the options (incl. ABS PRO) except forged wheels and titanium exhaust.
The spec below has been sent to me by the dealership. Wasn't ABS PRO part of the Performance package?

Spec.png

I dont think so .. If it doesnt say ABS PRO on the dash (stays on for about 5 seconds or so) in big letters, then it's not got it. Happy to be wrong for you though.

2015 model doesn't have it as standard but can be added at a dealer. 2016+ have it as standard and I believe it does show up on the dash when the ignition is first turned on, the same as it does when it displays the options set in user mode...I think as I've not been to my bike in a while

Nev,

ABS Pro when enabled is shown on the dash when turning on. "ABS Pro" with nothing else on the screen for a couple of seconds, don't think the analogue dial even moves until ABS Pro has finished appearing on the screen.
Are you thinking of Race ABS? That was the one prior to ABS Pro which the Gen 3 launched with.

When did your friend get the bike?
ABS Pro is standard on all 17's but I believe only became a standard part of the Performance Package towards the end of the 16 RR production.

Right, my bike is MY15 purchased in May 2015 and it does not say ABS PRO on dash.
Does it mean that I do not have 'cornering' ABS?
I better check with the dealer, as I was under the impression that it is there as standard!

You do _not_ have cornering ABS on the 2015 without the s/w patch. I dont think it was available until early/mid 2016. The code is retro-fitted to the bike but the dealer has to request the code from BMW specifically for your bike, so you're unlikely to get any huge discounts (trust me, i tried). Even then, I was told by the dealer that there is a chance that my bike wouldnt be compatible with the software and that I may need a hardware upgrade to take it. Having said that, looking back at all the discussions regarding ABS PRO, I'm not sure that hardware upgrade statement was 100% true and might have been a way to shut me up and get me out of the shop.

Thanks mate.
Dealer also confirmed that I do not have ABS PRO.
I have asked if it can be retrofitted and waiting response.

Thanks mate.
Dealer also confirmed that I do not have ABS PRO.
I have asked if it can be retrofitted and waiting response.

Yeah you can have it retrofitted, it'll be somewhere between ?350-400.

Latest posts

Back