Cornering ABS

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenno78

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Gen3 bike and understand it has ABS Pro which deals with locking the front up whilst cornering.

I was in Almeria a couple of weeks ago and never really had the confidence to pull the anchors whilst tipped over to any degree (if you know Almeria, i'm thinking before the chicane).

Watching other riders on YT, it seems they carry huge speeds then brake hard whilst leant over which seems like a very bad idea, but the bikes seem to deal with this.

Does anyone have an experience of this? TIA.

tbh, abs aside (something i would never use on track,espcially cornering abd whatever it is/does) you can brake well into a turn,in theory, the harder you brake,the more grip you have, upto a point/lean angle obviously. that will be what your seeing,nothing to do with "cornering ABS". it's down to practice,feel, skill+experience, everything that comes with time, again to a point (we are no rossi's after all)

Okay. Sounds logical that the front would have more grip under braking. I guess I'd read so many times that 'you shouldn't be touching the front brake lever when you're turning in' which is why I'd wondered how people got the bikes to stop whilst tipping in.

Do not use an S1000RR on track with ABS in anything lower than RACE mode.

In lower modes if you lift the rear it will let the brakes off...to get the rear back down...not giving a shit that you have the rear off the ground to avoid a crash.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

For trackdays just turn the ABS off. Much simpler and no need to worry about whether or not the system is going to do something daft when you least expect it.

ABS pro.....I believe later 16 models had it too was updated midway before an actual update for 17's. (My 16 also has it)

That aside throw out the misconception that you cant brake while leaning. Scooby summarised it quite well.

Takes practice and time but you will grab the nack for how much you can brake into a corner. It actual really helps to get the bike turned.

Just remember as your lean increases......your brake pressure eases.

Knowing reference points for where you can be on the brakes up to massively helped me with learning.

ABS pro.....I believe later 16 models had it too was updated midway before an actual update for 17's. (My 16 also has it)

That aside throw out the misconception that you cant brake while leaning. Scooby summarised it quite well.

Takes practice and time but you will grab the nack for how much you can brake into a corner. It actual really helps to get the bike turned.

Just remember as your lean increases......your brake pressure eases.

Knowing reference points for where you can be on the brakes up to massively helped me with learning.

Are you planning Portimao again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, as in you need to slowly bleed off the brakes as you lean.

Same principle whether your riding a bike with fancy electronics or none

it?s what we call ?trail braking????.trail off brake pressure as your lean angle increases as you approach the apex. Think of it as being the opposite to applying throttle.

No, as in you need to slowly bleed off the brakes as you lean.

Same principle whether your riding a bike with fancy electronics or none

Ah right. I thought you were suggesting the bike did that.

I get it. Will try it out on track the next time. Hopefully braking into the corner shaves a few more seconds off.

Ah right. I thought you were suggesting the bike did that.

I get it. Will try it out on track the next time. Hopefully braking into the corner shaves a few more seconds off.

ABS Pro is turned off in RACE/USER and SLICK modes.

Latest posts

Back