2nd bike options

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuOnTwo

Reaction score
hey guys, thinking about getting another bike for general commuting and keeping the S1000rr miles low, and also don't fancy another whopping bill from motorrad chester for warped discs, and a few other bits ?850+

I also had to have the sump replaced as after about 4k miles it corroded! After some arguing that was done under warranty tho...

here's the thing though, I had it serviced in July - nothing mentioned about sump looking dodgy, I then had more work done around jan/feb this year including a full acf treatment and specifically asked for sump to be coated - again nothing mentioned about any corrision, then in march all of a sudden it's corroded?

Anyway i digress, I'm interested in possibly getting a k1200s as a general all rounder, anyone had any experience of this bike? Also waddya reckon would be another suitable everday commuter/tourer... 5k max budget ideally.

I'd get a K1300S but not the 1200. The 1200 had quite a lot of issues (engine is a bit rough tbh) and was bmws first stab at the K bike, the K1300 was the one to get with the niggles sorted and more power. I've had a K1300R from new in 2009 and it is my run about bike. I do a 250 mile round trip to the office two or three times a month on it when the weather is not freezing. Very reliable, good economy and virtually no maintenance other than services at the dealership. 37000 miles so far. I'm thinking of changing to a R1200RS or S1000XR in the autumn but still not convinced as the K bike is very good at everything. For ?5k worth of cash it might be an idea to ask your friendly sales guy at the dealership to let you know if any quality part ex stuff comes in, as this is the best time of year for trade ins.

I also run a VFR800 VTEC, it's comfortable, safe-ish (ABS), makes nice noises and is well bolted together.

On the downside compared to the S1000RR it feels long, slow, heavy and underbraked but then what doesn't. It does mean that when I get back on the BMW it's feels like an absolute rocketship though...

Had a blackbird for 18mths, nothing bad to say about it at all. Ended up with a zzr (later model) which tick all my boxes, lot of kwak forum guys have earlier models and swear by them but as stated, you need to try a few.

I've got a Street Triple R as my second/everyday bike, it's great for commuting, light and small, great for filtering, upright position to see over cars for junctions etc.

Triple engine is torquey and get's over 50mpg. Only downside is on motorways you're open to elements, so if you want an everyday bike and a lot of it spent on fast A roads, dual carriageways or motorways it's not so good (but bearable).

Main thing is it's fun, brightens up a dull commute. Reminds me of riding my 350 powervalve when I were a lad (just more reliable) :D

I run a Triumph Sprint 1050 GT ticks the boxes for me and they are not that expensive picked mine up 18 months old 2K miles on the clock for 6K

Latest posts

Back