22/07/18 Ride out =]

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix

Reaction score
Well. Once upon a time,

The day started as normal. Woke up got ready and left the house. The arrangement was to meet Oli at his for 9:30. So I'm rolling down the M25, Got to Oli's for 9:30 pretty much on the dot. Stopped for 30 minutes to have a drink and some pancakes which where lovely.

IMG-20180717-WA0004.jpg

So we set off for the ride, Oli was leading with his "Trusty" satnav guiding the way. He logged a route from a previous ride out with Phil so we just were following that. First part of the ride, Brilliant, the route plan worked a treat and had some good roads with some good pace. Stopped at the first stop by a little cafe were we stop with Phil quite a lot. We were thinking this route app is working perfect. Took us down all the right roads. So we stopped at this little cafe, I myself had some lemonade and Oli had some tea.

20180722_120024.jpg

So after the pit stop we got on our bikes again and started to do the next leg of the journey, Which didn't go so well. The route planner must've thought we didn't make it to the next "Checkpoint" so it was taking us in circles. We went past the cafe we stopped at 3 times in the space of 15 minutes. After many stops on the side of the road Oli managed to figure out the problem. So off we go again, Minor technical fault but all sorted. After about 30 minutes of riding we stop on the side of the road again. Route planner has stopped working again. After 5 minutes on the side of the road we just figure to get rid of route planner and use TomTom's app with the "Winding route" option. Which worked out really well. It took us down all the roads Phil used to get to our next stop somewhere near Southwold I forgot the name of it. Lovely place right by the sea, Which is where we stopped and I had another lemonade.

20180722_140833.jpg
20180722_143537.jpg

So, Our final leg of the journey, We thought as the TomTom app worked so well with the "Winding Route" option we figured why not use it again to get back to Oli's. This part of the trip wasn't so good. After many, many miles on single track lanes, pretty much dirt track lanes it was horrendous. Gravel everywhere and dirt everywhere around these really narrow roads, Fair play there was some nice open stretches but the majority of the time it was single track lanes. We then came to a Ford. Was only 0.3 on the metre scale so it wasn't high at all. What we didn't notice at the time is it was covered in Algae. Oli went first through it I noticed he slide a little bit, I was closely behind, Sadly, I slid also and dropped the bike right in the middle of the ford, Soaking wet and bike down in the middle of this ford it wasn't a good time, Oli came to the rescue and helped me lift the bike up, I had no chance doing it by myself I was sliding all over the place as it was so slippy. Luckily there is not much damage at all, Bent rearset, scratch on the engine protector cover and bar ends as far as I can see. We decide, let's not do the "Winding Route" anymore as it was just taking us down all these single track lanes, So we then click "Most direct option" me and Oli were so far in the middle of no where the "direct option" saved us 5 minutes. After riding for another 45 minutes I'd say we finally got back to Oli's. My trousers had dried off mostly on the way back but my feet were still soaking. So shoes and socks off put them in the sun and then enjoyed a lovely Beef dinner with Oli and his family, Great food once again I'd recommend it to anyone.

Just about to depart from Oli's house to get home as I didn't want to miss Love Island, Socks were still soaking wet, Oli kindly offered me a pair of his socks to wear back as there is nothing worse than putting on or wearing a wet pair of socks is there? So I have now added to the sock collection a pair of Ralph Lauren Polo socks ;)

20180723_143935.jpg

All in all was a great day out and a day not to forget. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope for more in future :p

Cheers guys

Last edited:
Bloody hell Ben, what a day out. I thought the worst thing that happened to you was dropping the bike in the water until you mentioned 'Love Island' F13k sake, are you really that much of a masochist.

Going by your photos you had a good time but the water looks deeper than 300mm unless those are toy boats.......:pirate:

Every day is a schoolday and I'm sure you will now sprinkle some decision making onto the information the SatNav throws at you, they can be great but sometimes you just have to ignore them.

Least you both had a good laugh, good food and good company and got home in one piece, with new socks too! All in all a fun day which I will guarantee you will laugh about for years, sometimes a little adversity makes the trip more memorable.

Take care

JimmyMac

PS Did you check your tank for frogs?

Last edited:
Bloody hell Ben, what a day out. I thought the worst thing that happened to you was dropping the bike in the water until you mentioned 'Love Island' F13k sake, are you really that much of a masochist.

Going by your photos you had a good time but the water looks deeper than 300mm unless those are toy boats.......:pirate:

Every day is a schoolday and I'm sure you will now sprinkle some decision making onto the information the SatNav throws at you, they can be great but sometimes you just have to ignore them.

Least you both had a good laugh, good food and good company and got home in one piece, with new socks too! All in all a fun day which I will guarantee you will laugh about for years, sometimes a little adversity makes the trip more memorable.

Take care

JimmyMac

PS Did you check your tank for frogs?

Was a good day Jimmy! Love Island is life at the moment. Every Saturday I'm a little upset cause it's not on then.
Haha I made a slight error on the depth of the water was only 0.1 if that barely anything, My bad! Yeah it'll be a good story to tell! And also some great new socks too!

Sadly no frogs :(

Nice story there ben. I'm sure if you had asked really nicely Oli would have given you a pair of his RL socks, no need to throw the bike at a river lol.

As Jimmy says about sat navs, I think with age you gain a certain intuition on when to listen to them and when to ignore them, if it 'feels' that its wrong, it usually is. All good for the experience bank.

As for love island, the villa is for sale for ?2.5m if anyone is interested :).

I just had to be certain I'd get the socks. That was the goal.

Better safe than sorry.

Excellent write up Ben, was a thoroughly enjoyable read!
Apart from the failings of the SatNav (myRoute app Navigation and TomTom Go), tour guide (me lol) and our unfortunate Black Hawk Down moment, I think our day out was a resounding success lol!
Despite the hiccups along the way, I can honestly say it was an enjoyable day out, and as Jimmy says I?m sure we?ll remember this for quite a while!
What do you reckon Jimmy, am I ready to lead a ride across the Atacama desert with a paper napkin lol?

The water crossing was only a couple inches or so deep, what with the Summer we?re having it had all but evaporated (thankfully). The algae was a nightmare though!
On the positive side, at least we can now conclusively say that Pirelli SuperCorsa SP?s work superbly on tarmac in the dry, but don?t perform at all well on algae covered concrete!

When we were at our second pit stop, we came across a friendly chap who was out for a drive with his young daughter in his newly acquired Ariel Atom!

9bc7ce3c1bccac297fe45170575d6d14.jpg
e04dd586da4a173cdff1fa64affbc7de.jpg
ff82e71cd6146eb346e1260a8a0da29c.jpg

- Oli

Last edited:
Nice story there ben. I'm sure if you had asked really nicely Oli would have given you a pair of his RL socks, no need to throw the bike at a river lol.

As Jimmy says about sat navs, I think with age you gain a certain intuition on when to listen to them and when to ignore them, if it 'feels' that its wrong, it usually is. All good for the experience bank.

As for love island, the villa is for sale for ?2.5m if anyone is interested :).

Haha, yea Ben in future just ask for the socks and I?ll suitably oblige [emoji12]

Re the SatNav, I was genuinely thinking that the return route had to improve at some point, as if TomTom was going to take us to some magical road that was so far off the beaten path not even Phil knew about it, but oh no ...

- Oli

Top trip report. Them Ariel Atoms are a nice bit of kit, and shift pretty well too. How on earth do you get away with that virtually invisible number plate though...?

Stuart

Top trip report. Them Ariel Atoms are a nice bit of kit, and shift pretty well too. How on earth do you get away with that virtually invisible number plate though...?

Stuart

I had the pleasure of being taken for a passenger ride in the supercharged one maybe 5 years ago now and it was fantastic!

Lol, he doesn?t ...

- Oli

I was out yesterday with Gareth, found the road with the melting tarmac from Phil?s last ride. My latest favourite!
It was so hot my base layers gave up and my leathers were dripping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well. Once upon a time,

The day started as normal. Woke up got ready and left the house. The arrangement was to meet Oli at his for 9:30. So I'm rolling down the M25, Got to Oli's for 9:30 pretty much on the dot. Stopped for 30 minutes to have a drink and some pancakes which where lovely.

View attachment 3709

So we set off for the ride, Oli was leading with his "Trusty" satnav guiding the way. He logged a route from a previous ride out with Phil so we just were following that. First part of the ride, Brilliant, the route plan worked a treat and had some good roads with some good pace. Stopped at the first stop by a little cafe were we stop with Phil quite a lot. We were thinking this route app is working perfect. Took us down all the right roads. So we stopped at this little cafe, I myself had some lemonade and Oli had some tea.

View attachment 3710

So after the pit stop we got on our bikes again and started to do the next leg of the journey, Which didn't go so well. The route planner must've thought we didn't make it to the next "Checkpoint" so it was taking us in circles. We went past the cafe we stopped at 3 times in the space of 15 minutes. After many stops on the side of the road Oli managed to figure out the problem. So off we go again, Minor technical fault but all sorted. After about 30 minutes of riding we stop on the side of the road again. Route planner has stopped working again. After 5 minutes on the side of the road we just figure to get rid of route planner and use TomTom's app with the "Winding route" option. Which worked out really well. It took us down all the roads Phil used to get to our next stop somewhere near Southwold I forgot the name of it. Lovely place right by the sea, Which is where we stopped and I had another lemonade.

View attachment 3712
View attachment 3714

So, Our final leg of the journey, We thought as the TomTom app worked so well with the "Winding Route" option we figured why not use it again to get back to Oli's. This part of the trip wasn't so good. After many, many miles on single track lanes, pretty much dirt track lanes it was horrendous. Gravel everywhere and dirt everywhere around these really narrow roads, Fair play there was some nice open stretches but the majority of the time it was single track lanes. We then came to a Ford. Was only 0.3 on the metre scale so it wasn't high at all. What we didn't notice at the time is it was covered in Algae. Oli went first through it I noticed he slide a little bit, I was closely behind, Sadly, I slid also and dropped the bike right in the middle of the ford, Soaking wet and bike down in the middle of this ford it wasn't a good time, Oli came to the rescue and helped me lift the bike up, I had no chance doing it by myself I was sliding all over the place as it was so slippy. Luckily there is not much damage at all, Bent rearset, scratch on the engine protector cover and bar ends as far as I can see. We decide, let's not do the "Winding Route" anymore as it was just taking us down all these single track lanes, So we then click "Most direct option" me and Oli were so far in the middle of no where the "direct option" saved us 5 minutes. After riding for another 45 minutes I'd say we finally got back to Oli's. My trousers had dried off mostly on the way back but my feet were still soaking. So shoes and socks off put them in the sun and then enjoyed a lovely Beef dinner with Oli and his family, Great food once again I'd recommend it to anyone.

Just about to depart from Oli's house to get home as I didn't want to miss Love Island, Socks were still soaking wet, Oli kindly offered me a pair of his socks to wear back as there is nothing worse than putting on or wearing a wet pair of socks is there? So I have now added to the sock collection a pair of Ralph Lauren Polo socks ;)

View attachment 3715

All in all was a great day out and a day not to forget. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope for more in future [emoji14]

Cheers guys
Lol... they look like the socks that were under my bed as a teenager... jeez dont fancy a slippy ford much...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great write up Ben, glad your bike didnt suffer too much when you dropped it and hopefully the repair will be easy and inexpensive..

Apps and Sat Navs work great when they errr Work lol, time for you and Oli to buy one of them old fashioned Navigation Aids?

I was out yesterday with Gareth, found the road with the melting tarmac from Phil’s last ride. My latest favourite!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What road is that Paul?

Yep its too hot, I rode to Cadwell yesterday, nice day out, I rode home via lanes through Norfolk/Suffolk, the temp got to 32C.

Good effort on getting out and about. Shame about the ford but misshap, its never nice when your P&J goes over on its side.
SatNav's are a pain in the butt. This trip reminds me of when Oli and I CORRECTLY followed the NC500 route (unlike the rest)...sans ford, by the end of that I was tired, bored and pissed off with godawful single track/gravel stages. There needs to be a minimum road width setting on the satnavs!

Great write up Ben, glad your bike didnt suffer too much when you dropped it and hopefully the repair will be easy and inexpensive..

Apps and Sat Navs work great when they errr Work lol, time for you and Oli to buy one of them old fashioned Navigation Aids?

+1 on paragraph 1!

Re paragraph 2, is that the North Star lol?

Last time I looked at a map and compass was during my Duke of Edinburgh Award trips [emoji23]

Good effort on getting out and about. Shame about the ford but misshap, its never nice when your P&J goes over on its side.
SatNav's are a pain in the butt. This trip reminds me of when Oli and I CORRECTLY followed the NC500 route (unlike the rest)...sans ford, by the end of that I was tired, bored and pissed off with godawful single track/gravel stages. There needs to be a minimum road width setting on the satnavs!

Exactly right, I said to Ben when we got back that it reminded me of our single-track NC500 experience lol!

I don?t have the faintest idea what TomTom was thinking with that route, I agree a minimum width setting and national speed limit priority would be the way forward.
Can?t believe that in 2018, route planning, tracking and navigation are ?still? problematic.

I?m thinking of trying the REVER app for tracking next and then route planning with TomTom myDrive (but I?ve not yet managed to make that work with the app).

Oh and my bike didn?t come away unscathed either as developed another fault on the return journey, so back at Cannon?s as of this morning lol.
Fuel or spark problem we suspect, sounds like one of the WSB ZX10R?s when it runs on two cylinders and then braaaaaap wakes up on the straights lol. Only mine is intermittent

- Oli

Last edited:
What road is that Paul?

Yep its too hot, I rode to Cadwell yesterday, nice day out, I rode home via lanes through Norfolk/Suffolk, the temp got to 32C.

Next time you go up to Cadwell let me know Phil and if I can I'll join you for a spin

Latest posts

Back