2019 Newcastle to Tavullia via lots of hairpins [emoji965][emoji100]

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skel

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As promised our trip in a bit of detail.

So 4 bikes, 4 friends (one being my awesome Mrs) and 3000 miles covered.

It all started on a rainy day in Newcastle (luckily 3 of us live there)
Ferry to Amsterdam an so it starts!

10680321850871ea9ab0849ececbd9cb.jpg

Day 2
Amsterdam to Baden-Baden

This was basically head down ass up and blasted 390 miles down the motorways to cover distance as quick as possible. Little did we know it would be in a heatwave of 40+ degrees

Day 3
Baden-Baden and Innertkirchen

This was where the fun started with the B500 and zig zagging down the Black Forest. Onto the 33, the 317 via Titisee and down the L148 towards the border crossing at Stein. Still in a ridiculous heat wave.
Once crossed we then turned right at Sursee to head towards the Farneren and Haglere ranges and down towards Innertkirchen

7cea79e509b8fd64553a83161c35cafd.jpg

Day 4
Innertkirchen to Flims

Wow wow wow what a start to the day! We started on the Susten pass then onto the Furka and Nufan passes. So many photo opportunities at every turn and so much fun to be had. It is a must for any tour in the area. However I had no idea how busy they get. Once over the Nufan we head back north to Andermatt over the overall pass and followed the 19 towards our stop in Flims. (Still a bit gutted I never got to do the Grimsel)

c1ff7f48b44fe5a800398c403de3a5a1.jpg

Day 5
Flims to Raccines

Another absolutely stunning day across to Davos and over the best pass of the lot for me road wise. The Fluela pass. Then into the Swiss National Park onto Merano and up to the Jaufen pass. This has some stunning views, the photos do it no justice.

90e6d55ba5a0d89c47dd2a14e82d94ca.jpg

Day 6
Raccines to Zell Am See

We head back over the Jaufen pass again (okay go on then lol) then we head over the Timmelsjoch pass into Austria. This was a weekend and very busy. Big mistake by me but still had fun. The heat wave was still boiling us from the inside out, so as the MotoGP was on. We stopped, found WiFi and watched it over lunch. Then over to Zell Am See to prepare us for the Grossglockner.

Day 7
Sell Am See to Sequels

This is another road that?s a bit special. 24 euros for a bike to cross but tarmac as smooth as a billiard table and flowing corners that are wide and forgiving. Good bloody fun. We followed south down to Lienz then crossed the border just after Lass and took the Plockenpass to the SS52 and SP21 through to Sequels to a bloody fantastic little hotel.

Day 8
Sequels to Cavalese

This was a great day cut short by some bloody horrendous weather. We headed north to Cortina D Ampezzo via the SS51 and over the Passo Di Giau. Once down though we ran for it as the heavens opened...

9a43c2b7da2afe24edbc7e744746a466.jpg

Day 9
Cavalase to the campsite

This was another day of head down ass up to get south towards Tavullia.
Day 10
Campsite

This was a well deserved day off of sunbathing and swimming in the Adriatic. OMG it?s like a bath.

Day 11
Tavullia and respects day

This was day I will remember for life. Gail and I went in 2008 and 2015 and always said we?d love to be able to ride in one day. If you?ve not guessed we are both massive Vale fans. We paid our respects and had some lunch at Cafe Da Rossi
5365144a10bb9e5c3141d9f388145e2c.jpg

a8915f9f591985f4534999540c55a83a.jpg

Day 12
Campsite to Hotel Penegal

Now this hotel was an absolute find guys. I had it in mind before I left and boy did it live up to it. Don?t get me wrong it?s dated but by Christ the views are worth it. Defo defo will be heading back here for a good few days as the roads surrounding, are right up there. Get a decent evening and you can hear the bikes screaming up and down the passes. [emoji7]

1fe5c8b7470f0d397c9e0e07af737a94.jpg

94f4a9821f41be8d9593486e58d8dc68.jpg

Day 13
Hotel Penegal to Weesen

As above we left the hotel and hit the Mendola pass. That was what we?d been listening to the music of bikes blasting up the evening before. From there we head north again up to Naunders in Austria. Reschenpass was next to take us back into Switzerland, then back to the Wonderful Fluela pass and further north along the lake of Walensee to Weesen.
28faaf319a8c8325d3e445031121af5b.jpg

Day 14
Weesen to Birkindorf

This was a short mileage day as Switzerland is a nightmare to get anywhere, once you?re out of the mountains. It pissed me off that much, I?m not sure I?ll venture back. However I booked a spa hotel for the end of that day to help us all relax. Nice food, lovely little town again and a relaxing evening with friends.

Day 15
Birkindorf to Lauf

This was actually quite a difficult day as we wanted to run the B500 from bottom to top but it?s not that easy, as it doesn?t continue all the way up. You lose it in the middle, as did we. [emoji1787] Good road though.
Luckily enough, fellow bikers gave us that knowing wave to slow down, as Pc Plod was hiding in the bushes (literally) pointing his radar gun at us as we came round a corner.
After that we decided to look for a hotel and what a find again lol.

Day 16
Lauf to Rees

Head down ass up again and a play on the Autobahn?s. Yes I rang it?s neck till I could see no more. Lol we did just needed to get north as we were definitely some tired folks. We decided to stay on the Rhine and watch the ships go by. Jesus do they go by.

Day 17
Rees to Amsterdam

The sorry ride to the ship. We were exhausted but gutted to be coming home.
The Bikes never missed a beat over the 3K, apart from gasping for air a few times through the passes but so was I if I?m honest.
This took me 8 months to put together but it was definitely worth all the effort. I?m a true believer in preparation.
Skel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stunning photos and what looks to be a fantastic write up. Shall look forward to reading this later! [emoji41]

2020.. I'm up for it.... nice wee 10 days cutting about Europe !.

Excellent post Skel...beings back fading memories of my 2007 trip..

Did you stay in Davos ?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2020.. I'm up for it.... nice wee 10 days cutting about Europe !.

Excellent post Skel...beings back fading memories of my 2007 trip..

Did you stay in Davos ?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks Stu. We stopped in Davos both ways but only for coffee on the way out and pizza on the way back. [emoji6]
Lovely town though.

Great pics....true what they say about women packing more than blokes...her tail bag swamps yours....unless you got her to carry the most of the kit lol

Awesome experience...thanks for sharing it

Great pics....true what they say about women packing more than blokes...her tail bag swamps yours....unless you got her to carry the most of the kit lol

Awesome experience...thanks for sharing it

Hahaha nope deal is she carries what she brings. [emoji1305][emoji1316]
She has said that it will be the last time though. 30 litre bag is getting sold and she?s gonna have my set up instead. [emoji2371]

I was in Misano Circuit for a trackday a month ago. Very nice road trip!

Latest posts

Back