Exhaust fitting for Noobs.. Danmoto Decat

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdave139

Reaction score
Just incase anyone is interested...

So i picked up a danmoto decat pipe and a 2010/11 exhaust system from Cornish last night (Nice guy, buy his bike Here)

Took it to work today and borrowed the tools, and someone who knew how to use them, to cut the cat of the old system, empty the cat material out of the bit i want and clean it all up for me.

Cat off, Danmoto on..

When i got home i got started on removing the old system off the bike, i'm far from an experienced mechanic, i can just about do an oil change, but i decided to give it a go, and THIS video was a great help if anyone else is thinking of doing this...

Before and after...

2 hours, a few swear words and one or two small injuries later the stock system is off, and the new system is test fit and looking good. Just waiting for new head studs and nuts and its time to make some noise! :D

Testfit done!
And the other side...

Hopefully the parts will be in tomorrow so should have it fitted by the evening. a mate is bringing a DB meter over to see just how loud it is! :cower:
Then off to Hilltop Saturday for ecu remap, just hoping the weather is kind to me!

Cheers
Dave

Just waiting for new head studs and nuts and its time to make some noise! :D

.... a LOT of noise lol!

Tested mine with the standard can and Danmoto decat pipe, measured 115dB! A bit better with a Danmoto GP can, and looks the bollocks too :)

Be interesting how the Akro can compares.

Hi MickyC
what distance / revs was that at? is it obnoxiously loud? (as in hurts your ears on the motorway?)

cheers
Dave

Hi Dave

That was at about 1 metre, 45 degrees from the tailpipe at 10000rpm. Hardly done any motorway riding since changing it (too many A roads around here :) ) but lets just say it turns heads from quite a distance, not always a good thing if the plod are about. Maybe I'm just getting old haha!

To be honest I'm thinking of putting the standard system back on as it's going to stop me doing track days and don't want to spend a fortune on Akrapovic end cans just to see IF it quietens it down enough. Just really hate the ugly CAT though :(

Last edited:
Ha! i think i'll invest in some earplugs then!
Thats not too bad, i was expecting 120+ from the stories i've heard!

i will probably do the same next year when i start doing trackdays, but for the odd one i'll just use hire bikes.

Very nice :)

Bigdave139 wow, you weren't kidding when you said you'll crack on!!!

Looking very sweet plumbed in and sounds coolio. I was thinking of getting a cheaper end can with a baffle in to replace the Akro stubby I had. That should make it ok for Trackdays.

Glad you got it all sorted out so quickly and enjoy!!!

Thanks for the thread sharing on my bike too, no bites yet however it's only a day. The RC8 I picked up last night would give the BMW a run for its money exhaust note wise.:)

Looking forward to seeing the 1st road test.

Cornish

Bigdave139 - I did the same exhaust mod a few weeks ago on my 2011 (with the same little end Akra can) for the usual reasons, i.e. too quiet, weight saving and supposedly better throttle response.

I have to say that the bike is so so much better (low & mid range are brilliant!), but it's gone from being embarrassingly quiet to just too loud for me. Fine when you crack it open & it certainly turns heads at bike meets, but there is an unpleasant very loud drone cruising through towns at a about 30 to 40 and I'm not sure that I want to go on next year's Euro tour like it. My mates also complain that they can't hear their bikes any more!

Hence, my fireblade-riding mate picked up my end can last night and is taking it down to MHP in Colchester today for an adjustable baffle to be fitted on it like this:
http://www.mhpexhausts.com/exhaust/baffles.php

I'll take photos and maybe a video to show the fitment and the sound (although you can never tell how loud it is on a video). My contact there is a nice chap called Mark Hill and it's costing me £50 ...including a rubber bung (to plug the hole in the carbon end piece, where the new retaining screw goes). I guess that, once he's used mine to work out the size and fitment, he'll be able to crank these out and post them out to others that may want one???

Finally, one other issue I have is that the "Service" message sometimes appears on my dashboard when I go to start her up and I'm also very keen to take mine to Hilltop too in a few weeks time, to ensure it's all running ok (and improve it further). So please let us know how you get on with your ecu flash. Cheers.

Well its all done... heres the first start...
http://youtu.be/gKtscUucqbU
I do have some gopro footage but none that i can put online! ;)

thompsp, i'd be interested how you get on with the baffle, i love the noise, but understand what yours saying about a long tour with it.

Cheers
Dave

BigDave - I got the end can back late last night and he's done a beautiful job on it - it looks superb. I haven't had a chance to ride it (to feel in the difference in power delivery) or to play with the adjustment in it (is longer or shorter louder - does anyone know?)
I did quickly slap it back on the bike and me and my mate were very impressed - it sounds like his fireblade's Yoshimura with it's baffles out. Just what I was hoping for really, but it's the test ride that'll be the true test. I'm aiming to take it for a spin tomorrow morning and i'll take pics then too.
Other than that, all I can add is that it's about a pound heavier in weight. Best of luck with Hilltop - the weather's as you were hoping :)

Sounds great! be very interested to know how you get on with it, and see how it looks. (i'd guess the further in it goes the quieter?)

Yep weathers looking good! fingers crossed for good numbers! :D
I'll try and get vids of the run too! :)

BigDave139 - just back from a trip, so here are some snaps of the new exhaust baffle. Looks pretty good IMO:

IMG_7642.jpgIMG_7639.jpgIMG_7644.jpgIMG_7643.jpg

I managed to get a 1 hour test ride yesterday morning, to how the test, power and feel had changed. In short, it has just returned it back to slightly better than it was before the decat, hence why I've not uploaded a video too. It's a slightly fruitier sound, but not a lot.

At first, I thought that this was a bad thing, but I quickly remembered that I mainly wanted it for touring, MOTs and the possible track day, so in hindsight this is actually ideal :smile-new:

The next step is to adjust the thing to the maximum the other way - you will see that there is a screw deep down of the left hand side, to hold the inner and outer tubes (I'll take another pic when I take it out to illustrate properly). I've no idea if this will mean it's louder & quicker, but I'm keen to find out later this week.

Just read your posting from yesterday and Hilltop (http://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthread.php?3113-Dyno-remap-at-Hilltop), which I'll also respond to now ;)

For added info:

- the new baffle weighs just over 100 grams
- using the free iPhone app "Decibels" and just at tickover, the readings were:
1. with the baffle half open, it was reading 92Db and a tad more deeper sounding than standard
2. with the baffle at full extension (i.e. maximum air intake), it was reading 98Db with a very nice deep tone :)

Next step is to ride with the baffle in, with it at full extension and see how she performs. I am starting to miss the very loud and more powerful version of my bike though :devilish:

For added info:

- the new baffle weighs just over 100 grams
- using the free iPhone app "Decibels" and just at tickover, the readings were:
1. with the baffle half open, it was reading 92Db and a tad more deeper sounding than standard
2. with the baffle at full extension (i.e. maximum air intake), it was reading 98Db with a very nice deep tone :)

Next step is to ride with the baffle in, with it at full extension and see how she performs. I am starting to miss the very loud and more powerful version of my bike though :devilish:

Hi thompsp, just a quickie. Is the iPhone mic capable of good readings at that dB?

I ask cos I know the Samsung Galaxy's can show a high dB on a meter app but because of the quality of inbuilt mic and codec's used within Android anything over 85dB is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Hi thompsp, just a quickie. Is the iPhone mic capable of good readings at that dB?

Hi. Probably not very accurate at all, but it does give a sence of the difference in scale of the setups - as that's how it sounds in when you are next to it (the scale of audible sound and tone). I need a new tyre soon, so I'll be visiting my mates garage where I can use his proper meter for an accurate figure, as I want to know far track usage.

Hi. Probably not very accurate at all, but it does give a sence of the difference in scale of the setups - as that's how it sounds in when you are next to it (the scale of audible sound and tone). I need a new tyre soon, so I'll be visiting my mates garage where I can use his proper meter for an accurate figure, as I want to know far track usage.

Got my new tyres fitted yesterday, so we tested the exhaust with a pukka Db Meter - I have now removed the inner perforated tube completely (as it was choking the newly found performance and wasn't loud enough for me) and it was reading a nice 103Db (held at 5000 revs, with the meter the right distance diagonally away from the rear of the end of the exhaust outlet).
This was good news, as it'll be allowed on most rack days and I can just slip the additional perforated bit on for quiet tracks, MOTs, etc :tickled_pink:.

Got my new tyres fitted yesterday, so we tested the exhaust with a pukka Db Meter - I have now removed the inner perforated tube completely (as it was choking the newly found performance and wasn't loud enough for me) and it was reading a nice 103Db (held at 5000 revs, with the meter the right distance diagonally away from the rear of the end of the exhaust outlet).
This was good news, as it'll be allowed on most rack days and I can just slip the additional perforated bit on for quiet tracks, MOTs, etc :tickled_pink:.

Most tracks are tested at 5500rpm, so hopefully the extra 500 revs doesn't put it above the 105Db mark.

Hi Guys,
I bought a danmoto replacement pipe prior to reading this thread with a view getting a bit more sound out of the s1r, however the quoted 115db made me stop and think twice. I want more sound but not excessive sound, if that makes sense!
So to try and gauge just how loud 115 db is in comparison i bought a cheap db meter with a view of measuring the current setup on the s1r against my other bike, a Ducati 848 SF with a set of Termi’s fitted. I should point out that my s1r is stock apart from a Akrapovic shorty slip on (which when I fitted made next to no difference to sound).
Results –
S1R at idle - 86db, at 4500rpm – 97db
Ducati at idle – 91db, at 4500rpm – 112db
Both measured at 0.5m away from exhaust and at a 45degree angle from the exhaust.
The result are somewhat pleasing from my prospective as I don’t think the Ducati is too loud, but certainly wouldn’t readily want to go above it in terms of noise level. So next step is the chop the cat (but leave the remaining cat material in the headers) and re measure noise level. If this change takes it above 112db I’ll be fitting this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pipe-Werx...pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2583d89a3a to try and tailor the noise level to roughly same levels as my Ducati.
I'll post db results up when I get my finger out and get round to cutting cat off.

I would be wary about the reslts you got. I have a friend with Termi's on his 848 and he passes sound tests for trackdays. SO its not 112dB at idle.

Godzilla, he said 91dB at idle and 112dB at 4500, although still seems high for relatively low revs.

Paulie, what year is your bike (you can't fit the decat to 2012 or later due to tapered headers). I bought a 2010 set of headers & CAT off eBay for £150 which also gave me the option to refit the standard headers and CAT if I wanted to go back to original.

Latest posts

Back