Exhaust fitting for Noobs.. Danmoto Decat

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,
I bought a danmoto replacement pipe prior to reading this thread with a view getting a bit more sound out of the s1r, however the quoted 115db made me stop and think twice. I want more sound but not excessive sound, if that makes sense!
So to try and gauge just how loud 115 db is in comparison i bought a cheap db meter with a view of measuring the current setup on the s1r against my other bike, a Ducati 848 SF with a set of Termi’s fitted. I should point out that my s1r is stock apart from a Akrapovic shorty slip on (which when I fitted made next to no difference to sound).
Results –
S1R at idle - 86db, at 4500rpm – 97db
Ducati at idle – 91db, at 4500rpm – 112db
Both measured at 0.5m away from exhaust and at a 45degree angle from the exhaust.
The result are somewhat pleasing from my prospective as I don’t think the Ducati is too loud, but certainly wouldn’t readily want to go above it in terms of noise level. So next step is the chop the cat (but leave the remaining cat material in the headers) and re measure noise level. If this change takes it above 112db I’ll be fitting this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pipe-Werx...pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2583d89a3a to try and tailor the noise level to roughly same levels as my Ducati.
I'll post db results up when I get my finger out and get round to cutting cat off.

Have you pulled a finger out then...? Haha. I'm wanting to do mine but really don't want it too loud.

lol, i did mate but I've not measured the db's since the change. What I will say is I'm very happy with the results, it's loud but not mentally loud. I'll measure the db's for the comparison over the weekend.

i've made this for mine just to take the rasp out of it..

2014-04-11212622.jpg

made it so it just press fits in the end with a taper on so it wont fire out the back..

2014-04-11220223.jpg

2014-04-11220610.jpg

bike starts up and ticks over loads better now plus its a little less obscene..

yet to have it noise tested but the idea is to fit a large washer to blank more holes off as required to pass Cadwell/Donny..

also mapping the bazzaz for both in and out so i'll be able to see the difference on the dyno, it really does make it alot move livable without strangling it and your ears ar'nt ringing for 4 hours after your home..

Scores on the doors are -

After decatting and fitting danmoto link (but leaving the existing cat material in the headers)

With pipewerx db killer - at idle 88db, at 4500 102db
Without db killer - at idle 94 db, at 4500 107db

Quite a jump from standard setup, but I'm hoping the db killer will suffice should I do a trackday.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
I have a full akrapovic set up with stubby sounds great but like been mentioned my ears were ringing for hours after a ride out last week!! I'm defo in the market for a baffle just to take the edge off it, plus I want to get involved on some track days, I like the idea of an adjustable one, mart that looks simple but good idea!! has anybody actually passed a noise test track side with a decated stubby on??
cheers

Paulie I think that might just be border line or over over the limit let me know how you get on with it!

I should be getting a full akrapovic shorty system soon, just a couple questions...

- Will I need new gaskets?
- Any specific tools needed apart from socket set, screw drivers, etc...
- I won't be fitting a PC5 yet so are the standard O2 sensors fine to put in the Akra pipes? Any adapters or anything needed for them?

Any advice?
I don't have a bike lift, just a rear paddock stand.
The video Dave first posted has been a great help already!

I was about to ask the same questions...? Take it you bought the one on eBay? And that's why it finished early...? Haha

I chanced using the original gaskets and had no concerns at all, no special tools needed just a decent socket set will do, I done mine just using the rear paddock stand with no issues but obviously it's a lot nicer working on the bike at height rather than lying on a cold concrete floor! I should really have took a few pics and done a bit of a write up! if your handy with a set of spanners it's not a hard, oil cooler mounting bolt is a bit fiddly had to use a couple of extension pieces to get in, I don't run a pc5 and run standard O2 sensors, I did have to make up a couple of reducers at work as sensors are M12 thread and I think headers may have been M14 or M16 can't remember off top of my head!

I finally got round to fitting my full Akrapovic shorty exhaust last week. Took me longer than expected because I didn't have the right sized small socket extensions and forgot to get a spring puller! But I borrowed a
couple extensions from a mate and made my own spring puller from a coat hanger haha
The radiator bracket was a b*tch to remove!
I've fitted it with the standard O2 sensors and not had any codes come up either.

Today was the first time of riding since being fitted.
It seems to run fine, only done 35 miles, so it might get a little better with more miles.

Couple pictures....

looks sweet does that mate... got the decibel meter today so i'll be running a few test on the baffles i've made to see what there kicking out..

looks sweet does that mate... got the decibel meter today so i'll be running a few test on the baffles i've made to see what there kicking out..

Is that a £30 meter from Maplin's as was wondering how good they were.

Just a quick question... My mate who's fitting the dan moto decat to some original headers and my akro stubby, says the exhaust isn't flared enough so it doesn't fit right, does this make sense to anyone? It's a 2010

Back