all year round tires

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz93

Reaction score
First of all I'd like to apologise if people feel this has been covered to death...

But... ive just bought my first S1000RR , is a 2016 model. the tires are due for a change very soon...
I ride all year round ( unless there's salt on roads, or temp drops below 4 degrees) , and in 25 years riding I have yet to do a track-day on a bike ( I work away and always seem to miss out when mates are on them. )

ive always ran Michelin pilot road's 2's , 3's & 4's on previous bikes ( 950 super-moto's , super-duke, Z1000, Multistrada 1200 ).

so im thinking pilot road 5's ?????? as they're the only PR's ive not ridden on. ive always ran Michelin tires ( just a confidence thing I guess ).
or even the new "Power RS " ?????

whats your thoughts for a guy who rides all year round, regular sunday blasts out with mates, and do 280 mile B road commute from Teeside to Great Yamouth and back every 2 weeks ????

I don't ride like a fanny (otherwise I wouldn't of bought this missile ).

Loving the new bike by the way. even if I did get caught speeding on my first trip out on it.... luckily it was only 37 in a 30...

The Metzeler Roadtec 01 would be my default during the winter months, but mainly because I don't know what it's competitors are to list them.
Pilot Roads are probably the same type of tyre.

Tyre confidence is all in your head, if you like Michelin and trust them I see no reason to change that. The Power RS is a great tyre, but I wouldn't run it below 5degC..same with most tyres in the same category.

Hey Gaz.
I found the OEM tyres were really good when I got the RR new (S21 Bridgestones? Not sure). They didn't need to warm up as much as my current Rosso3's do (the R3's once warm are great). I really rated the road pilot 4's on my Speed Triple a few years ago, seemed to last forever, couldn't say how they'd fare on the RR. I'm expecting to put in a few miles over winter so I'm interested in the others suggestions on here. H

As Alex says the Metzeller RoadTech 01?s are a superb Sport-Touring tyre. Longevity and wet weather performance is top-not IMO.
Compared with sportier tyres, you loose out on front end dry weather grip, but on the road it is in no way going to be an issue.
As you?re a Michelin fan, I would recommend trying the new Road 5?s, as these are Michelin?s competitor to the RoadTech 01?s.

If you wanted something sportier that is still a competent all-round option. Something like a Bridgestone S21, Metzeller M7RR of Pirelli Rosso 3 are great options too. I personally like the S21?s as think the front end is fantastic, through they will definitely not be as confidence inspiring as a Sport-Touring tyre in Autumn/Winter IMO.

Oh and one minor annoyance to note with all Sport-Touring tyres is that they are not available in a 200 profile rear

- Oli

Last edited:
The roadtecs are not available with a 200 profile. Cant say I was overly impressed when I used a set, they were ok but when asking for that little bit extra they tended to start sliding around, I guess its down to how you ride. Ive used m7rrs and the rosso3s, both excellent all weather high performance but you will get less miles than out of the roadtecs. The PR4s I thought were an excellent compromise but again i dont think they come in a 200 profile.

I've got the Roadtec 01's and personally find them brilliant (although I'm no #46) in all weathers (ice/snow excepted). I couldn't wait to take the factory Bridgestones off as I found them a bit nervous, however, I reckon the guys above are right by saying that it's all in your head. I had 01's on both my 2015 and the current 2017 bike, and have no hesitation in recommending them.

I've got the Roadtec 01's and personally find them brilliant (although I'm no #46) in all weathers (ice/snow excepted). I couldn't wait to take the factory Bridgestones off as I found them a bit nervous, however, I reckon the guys above are right by saying that it's all in your head. I had 01's on both my 2015 and the current 2017 bike, and have no hesitation in recommending them.

I can recommend the Metzeler Roadtecs 01s. They are a great road/touring tyre. They are very similar to Pilot Roads. I have used the Roadtecs on track & they held up well too. Compared to sportier Rosso3s, not so much grip on dry track. However I wouldn't want to use Rosso3s on a cold wet winter road where Roadtecs are fine.

I ride year round.
Have used M7RR?s for approx 4 yrs, and find them a great all rounder. Hold their profile well & get approx 4-5k miles out of a pair.
Highly recommended.

I run M7RR?s and love them on my 2014. If I were commuting on the bike (as i did on my old 2010 cbr1000rr) I would use the PR4/5 range again. Probably get 6-7k from a rear.

it looks like its between the M7RR and Pilot Road 5's....... never ever ran Metzeler tires... ive always thought them as a cheap tire..
think im a tire snob cos its always been Bridgestone or Michelin for me...

I run S21's all year round (including a few trackdays in inter group) with no issues, I wouldnt go out in the snow and Ice with them but other than that I find they work in all conditions.

I?m on my second set of S21?s and toured Europe , tracked and ridden in all weathers on them all year around. Never had and issue unless I?m ham fisted with the throttle. Always found the Bridgestone felt the same new to worn, and suit the BMWs front end. My ability / talent is well within there?s.
A good balance of life and grip for me.
Thought about getting sportier tyres but as most of my riding is on the road worries they would square off too soon.

I used to have Michelin?s on my GIXer and found them sensitive to wear and pressure. Softer carcass more flex I?m told.

Others I know say the newer PRs from Michelin are worse for this due to lighter construction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metzeler Roadtec 01's imo are better than PR2,3,4, cant comment on PR5 but if they are anything like 4's they wear out real fast on the last mm.
Pirelli Rosso3's are good too in all weathers.
Im running Pirelli Angel GT's on my KTM superduke and they are performing well 4k from a rear and 6.7k from the front. I think you would run Angel ST on the RR. I would give them a try, think they are reasonable price.

As others have said, its all down to how you feel and ride, be smooth and almost any tyre will perform ok.

Last edited:
Those two tyres are a completely different type of tyre @Gaz93. The Pilot Roads are very much what they say on the tin and biased for the road and quite a square shape for people that want to get thousands of miles out of them without them squaring off, and extremely good performance in cold, wet weather. The downside is that you lose the agility of the S1000RR, it will not drop into corners anywhere near as good as with the more racey tyres. The M7RR are much more track biased, I even raced on them at the beginning of the year because they are still good in low temperatures. You do have to hold back a bit in poor weather but no where near as much as with other hyper sports tyres such as the Pirelli Supercorsas and the like which are a death wish in the rain.
My advice would be to base the decision on what you rode on the Supermotos and how you like to ride? if you were a bit of a hooligan chucking it around then definitely go for the M7RR as they can genuinely do it all with just a little poor weather compromise and need to be changed earlier. If you are a bit better behaved and need a bike for all weathers that will last longer and dont want to have to be too careful in the middle of winter then go for the Pilot Roads.

As an all year rider I too am concerned about winter temperatures, warm up, wet weather grip and longevity (as a bonus). I'd say "Royal's" comment about the shape of the PR4 is fair however I can't say the minor change in flickability was really an issue; I still had an awesome time! - the grip was excellent all year round and despite what others have said about great grip I don't think any of the other tyres compare so well in winter. There was some discussion way back when about the carcass being weaker but I haven't notice - perhaps that's a track performance level; issue. The bike has felt very stable in all cases on the road - and I really don't hang around!
I don't track this bike and I have run most of these tyres on the S1 in all conditions (except snow!) - Funnily enough the only minor slips I have had were on the M7's on a cooler morning where I assume they hadn't warmed up enough as I opened it up - I think in that case the PR's would have been fine.
To be honest, the biggest downside is that lack of cool factor as the tread on a PR looks way less cool from behind!
I am on here because I have been running M7's for the summer touring (i.e. ripping up the alps) and was wondering if anyone had any experience of the Road 5's.
As a matter of interest when I had the M7's fitted at the base of the Alps by BMW in Switzerland (I pre-ordered them to fit on arrival) they removed my PR4's - here's the joke - the local dealer said the PR4's were better for riding over there (and the M7's would wear out faster due to the the road surfaces being harder wearing and the heat) - interesting that a BMW dealer was recommending PR's over the M7's !
SO where I'm at - This is day 1 of what to get next. The PR4's were great last winter/spring and I am now curious about the next generation as I have only a couple of hundred miles in the M7's.... (and I'll just have to take the crap I get about my S1 looking like a tourer again!)
Will anyone own up to having tried the Road 5's (which I think is the replacement for the PR4's?) - promise I won't tell anyone!

... Will anyone own up to having tried the Road 5's (which I think is the replacement for the PR4's?) - promise I won't tell anyone!

Correct, the Road 5?s are indeed the successor to the Pilot Road 4?s.

I would like to try the R5?s as always use Sport Touring tyres through the Autumn and Winter months (or all year round as it turned out this year lol).
I was a massive fan of the PR3?s, still my favourite cold/wet weather road tyre, though did not like the PR4?s (why I changed to RoadTech 01?s)

- Oli

As a matter of interest when I had the M7's fitted at the base of the Alps by BMW in Switzerland (I pre-ordered them to fit on arrival) they removed my PR4's - here's the joke - the local dealer said the PR4's were better for riding over there (and the M7's would wear out faster due to the the road surfaces being harder wearing and the heat) - interesting that a BMW dealer was recommending PR's over the M7's !
SO where I'm at - This is day 1 of what to get next. The PR4's were great last winter/spring and I am now curious about the next generation as I have only a couple of hundred miles in the M7's.... (and I'll just have to take the crap I get about my S1 looking like a tourer again!)
Will anyone own up to having tried the Road 5's (which I think is the replacement for the PR4's?) - promise I won't tell anyone!
The reason they recommend the PR4's is for changeable conditions and temperatures in the mountains, even in the summer it can snow and be too cold for the M7RR on some of the mountain passes. If you are going to the Alps for a summer blast then generally you are going to be looking for the sun and to blast around having fun so the M7RRs makes sense, rather than the locals that might be passing from Italy into Switzerland regularly for work or whatever which makes more sense on the PR4's which are safer if the weather gets dodgy.

My advice would be to forget about which looks cool. Just be brutally honest about the way you ride. If you like riding fast and leaning the bike over lots and generally stick to decent weather then get the M7RR since they have more grip at lean (assuming the weather is good..). If you're not a closet racer and if you are doing a load of motorway miles and need something that works in all conditions then choose the PR4's.

Further to all of that - if I was using the bike day to day through the winter then I would choose PR4 without hesitation. I would just change back to M7RR again in ~march.

Last edited:
Hi Royal - I don't let looking cool dictate the decision - but it's always a bonus on such a lovely machine ;-)
So here's my choice and supporting thinking....

I did a little more research and (although I hate to pioneer a new tyre) I have just replaced my summer M7's with Michelin Road 5. Roadtec's came close but without all my detailed thinking my main reasons are:
1. The PR4's were great last winter (got 5-6k with some left in the tyre before I changed to my summer M7 tyres as per previous post) - I loved the quick warm up in the cold weather on the on the PR4 and (all importantly) they gave me good confidence in the wet
2. The Road 5 (like the PR4's) should give good fast turn-in due to the shape (as per PR4) and give good hard wearing longevity (which is a bonus) in the centre section
3. My only reservation about the PR4's was the common discussion around the sidewall not being strong enough for the S1 if pushed - well the new Road's have a strengthened sidewall by adding a stiffer compound underneath the softer grippier external layer - like that idea, even thought I'm not sure I ever hit the problem on the road.
4. If you look at the Road 5 compared to the Power RS (the Michelin sports tyre) and the previous PR4's you can see how the Road 5 takes the good points from both to give good grip in the wet and yet some good cornering traction too (more rubber/less sipes on the sides) - so my experience of PR4's (there appears to be general agreement they are THE BEST for grip in wet conditions) in conjunction with the testing and feedback so far om the Road 5 (which is all good - although admittedly largely (but not only) based on Michelin marketing) it 'seems' to make them a good winter choice - and Michelin have always been good for wet grip in general in my experience
5. I was blasting about on the PR'4s in the spring up until June and they were pretty sticky - so I think the risk on the new one's of losing anything is very low. They reckon the Road's have more grip in the wet after 3k miles than PR4's had when they were new!

Admittedly (and this is where I am taking a risk) they only came out in Jan so feedback from winter riding is still scarce but I can't find any negatives and my PR4 experience was good. I've written that from memory so I got anything wrong feel free to dive in!

PS: They do happen to look slightly cooler than the PR4's !

As ever (and yet again) another great thread on this great forum. Really informative. My first out of season journey beckons and the flippin weather is gonna rain all through my journey through France and Spain. Thank-you very much, God. I'm on a mission so I think I've got to go. Temperatures are gonna be 5 to 10 degrees.

...I don't ride like a fanny (otherwise I wouldn't of bought this missile ).
Loving the new bike by the way. even if I did get caught speeding on my first trip out on it.... luckily it was only 37 in a 30...
I DO ride like a fanny (Andy and Stuart will confirm).
+ I trust you have now discovered you can lose your license in first gear?

...cant comment on PR5 but if they are anything like 4's they wear out real fast on the last mm.
... its all down to how you feel and ride, be smooth and almost any tyre will perform ok.
I noticed that with PR4's on my old triple.
+ Wise words on smooth

... if you were a bit of a hooligan chucking it around then definitely go for the M7RR as they can genuinely do it all with just a little poor weather compromise and need to be changed earlier. If you are a bit better behaved and need a bike for all weathers that will last longer and dont want to have to be too careful in the middle of winter then go for the Pilot Roads.
Hooligan = M7RRs

...PS: They do happen to look slightly cooler than the PR4's !
The fact I like new sh*t, suggests I go check out the Road 5 and tell you all about it (if I go).

There's one thing I need to understand before I get on to FWR. I think it was Andy who mentioned the 200 profile. I've got OEM wheels. Would they fit? What are the implications for grip and maybe a euro trackday early next year? (I always ride to track days, gonna calm it down though... the ride back from Rockingham wasn't much fun TBH).
I need to order the tyres this avo. Thoughts welcome.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back